DACS and Alamy

Plus, Alamy have us over a barrel if most sales are RF.  They will not divulge usage as other agencies do.  Therefore it's a choice of giving half and then some to Alamy, or forgoing RF sales in the UK for DACS.

I had Alamy take care of this. For those who say it's so easy, I guess I'm not clear on a few things. So Alamy licenses my images, but is pretty vague about who uses them and where. I've found that end users often only credit Alamy and not my name or pseudonym (sometimes I find my images in reverse image searches based on zooms and sales in the My Alamy section of their website.) To further complicate things I also on occasion license images through another British agency and on rare occasion directly. Isn't it necessary to know when, where and how our images are used to get the DACS payment?

I had Alamy take care of this. For those who say it's so easy, I guess I'm not clear on a few things. So Alamy licenses my images, but is pretty vague about who uses them and where. I've found that end users often only credit Alamy and not my name or pseudonym (sometimes I find my images in reverse image searches based on zooms and sales in the My Alamy section of their website.) To further complicate things I also on occasion license images through another British agency and on rare occasion directly. Isn't it necessary to know when, where and how our images are used to get the DACS payment?

With regard to your last point, it is just a case of downloading your Alamy sales report into a spreadsheet such as XL, removing any newspaper sales etc. that don't qualify, filling in the claim form with your details, and then emailing the spreadsheet to DACS, and they do the rest. I haven't got a clue of when, where or how any of my alamy sales have been used.

John.

"I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't fill in the claim themselves. As someone above said, it takes about 15 minutes, the first time - much quicker in subsequent years - and the amount can be several hundred pounds. Unless your photography work is charged at £200 an hour, filling in the form yourself is time very well spent."

Because as an indervidual I am allready claiming the maximum for magazines and books WITHOUT any Alamy licences which are all for magazines and books in my case. I cannot make more than one claim as an indervidual- which is a pity as I have more than 10,000 licences which would qualify from my own sales.  However the rules allow agencies to make claims on behalf of photographers for licences which the agency has sold. I therefore have a choice either instruct Alamy to make a claim on my behalf and accept 50% minus expenses or accept nothing for licences sold thro Alamy. Other agencies also make claims on my behalf but split the monies 50/50 I think Alamy are being particularly greedy with respect to this matter

Regen

If you have claimed the maximum for yourself then you shouldn't be making a second claim through an agency.

With regard to your last point, it is just a case of downloading your Alamy sales report into a spreadsheet such as XL, removing any newspaper sales etc. that don't qualify, filling in the claim form with your details, and then emailing the spreadsheet to DACS, and they do the rest. I haven't got a clue of when, where or how any of my alamy sales have been used.

John.

Thanks John, guess I'll try on my own next year. 

"If you have claimed the maximum for yourself you should not be making a second claim through an agency"

Alex

1. I am not making the claim. Alamy are making the claim after I explained to them that I allready make a max claim in my own right.

2. Suggest you read the whole post before coming back with unsubstantiated one liners.

Regen

"If you have claimed the maximum for yourself you should not be making a second claim through an agency"

Alex

1. I am not making the claim. Alamy are making the claim after I explained to them that I allready make a max claim in my own right.

2. Suggest you read the whole post before coming back with unsubstantiated one liners.

Regen

I did read the whole post and it seem like you are claiming 150% from DACS.

So, just to clear things up.  Are you making a claim on your own behalf and Alamy are claiming again for you for another 50%?

My understanding is that he makes a claim for direct sales that he has made HIMSELF -- not through an agency. Then he has no choice but to let the agencies do the claiming for the sales he makes through them. As long as it is within DACS rules I see no problem with it. I'm glad there are photographers who are still making money these days.

Paulette

My understanding is that he makes a claim for direct sales that he has made HIMSELF -- not through an agency. Then he has no choice but to let the agencies do the claiming for the sales he makes through them. As long as it is within DACS rules I see no problem with it. I'm glad there are photographers who are still making money these days.

Paulette

As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you are only allowed to make one claim to DACS. If he has maxed out his own claim then none of the agencies can then claim more on his behalf.

Even if your own claim hasn't maxed out then you should still only claim that and add any uses from agencies to that claim. Agencies shouldn't be claiming for photographers who have already claimed otherwise the agencies are taking money from photographers as they are shrinking the pot by being greedy.

Paulette

As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you are only allowed to make one claim to DACS. If he has maxed out his own claim then none of the agencies can then claim more on his behalf.

Even if your own claim hasn't maxed out then you should still only claim that and add any uses from agencies to that claim. Agencies shouldn't be claiming for photographers who have already claimed otherwise the agencies are taking money from photographers as they are shrinking the pot by being greedy.

Please point out where DACS state that you can make a claim for your own licenses and then not be allowed to authorise an agency to claim for further licenses which you have not included in your own claim....

Photographers who have been successful are greedy just for claiming within a system that penalises the most prolific sellers....really??

Paulette

Please point out where DACS state that you can make a claim for your own licenses and then not be allowed to authorise an agency to claim for further licenses which you have not included in your own claim....

Photographers who have been successful are greedy just for claiming within a system that penalises the most prolific sellers....really??

Please point out where I said photographers were greedy. I said the agencies were being greedy and some people say that agencies are known to claim on DACS but don't pass it on to the photographers because they don't know about the scheme.

Paulette

Please point out where I said photographers were greedy. I said the agencies were being greedy and some people say that agencies are known to claim on DACS but don't pass it on to the photographers because they don't know about the scheme.

Since the photographer has to authorise the agency, it seemed to be spreading the greed a little further than just the agency. Naturally if you don't think the photographer is being greedy then I withdraw my questioning of the statement.

Alex

I understand where you are coming on this really i do but I can assure you I have not broken any rules nor have I deliberately gone after this extra money.

1. My first claim in 2008? was for the full amount on mags and nearly top on books this was based on my own sales and did not include any sales made thro agencies.

2. I was approached by one of my agencies and told they were going to make a claim on my behalf. I refused to sign the paperwork and was told i would be in breach of my contract with them. I explained the situation to Dacs and they said it was permissable so i now collect £300 plus each year via that agency. Please note this is only for files that the agency has sold.

3 this year Alamy jumped on the band wagon and approached me re a DACs claim. I cannot make the claim myself but alamy can. I discussed it with both Alamy and dACS before agreeing to sign the paperwork.

4 what p------s me off is that these agencies can make a claim on my behalf and in the case of Alamy keep more than 50% of the proceeds but the remainder of my own 10,000 plus sales are not eligble where I could receive 100%.

Regen

Mark Dunn Said

"This says that claims should not overlap -thats all"

Hi Mark are you referring to the following para?

"What is essential is that the Visual artists or their representatives are not claiming multiple times for the same uses of the same works-so called double dipping"

This does not mean that multiple claims by the photographer and his various agencies are not permitted simply that if picture x is sold to magazine Y for use in issue z that "use" cannot be claimed by both the photographer and his agency as part of separate claims. If the agency sells the pic for use in issue z and the photographer sells the same pic to mag y for use in issue a then both uses can be used in the respective separate claims.

Regen

Mark Dunn Said

"This says that claims should not overlap -thats all"

Hi Mark are you referring to the following para?

"What is essential is that the Visual artists or their representatives are not claiming multiple times for the same uses of the same works-so called double dipping"

This does not mean that multiple claims by the photographer and his various agencies are not permitted simply that if picture x is sold to magazine Y for use in issue z that "use" cannot be claimed by both the photographer and his agency as part of separate claims. If the agency sells the pic for use in issue z and the photographer sells the same pic to mag y for use in issue a then both uses can be used in the respective separate claims.

Regen

If you are maxed out, you are maxed out. 

• 1 month later...

Archived