DACS and Alamy

Hi. Just beginning to wonder if anyone who asked Alamy to take their DACS claim forward has had an update from Alamy yet. I submitted my permission form 8th August and apart from an initial acknowledgement I have heard nothing more.

Stuart.

Hi. Just beginning to wonder if anyone who asked Alamy to take their DACS claim forward has had an update from Alamy yet. I submitted my permission form 8th August and apart from an initial acknowledgement I have heard nothing more.

Stuart.

No further news here either.

OK. Thanks. I think I will try and do it myself next time. The general opinion seems to be that it is not that difficult. For those that have done it themselves are you any further forward than those going through Alamy?

OK. Thanks. I think I will try and do it myself next time. The general opinion seems to be that it is not that difficult. For those that have done it themselves are you any further forward than those going through Alamy?

It takes 15-20 minutes to fill in the form and submit, very easy. Probably quicker in subsequent years.

Everybody will hear by beginning of December, whether submitted via Alamy or self-submitted.

John.

Got an email today telling me that the DACS deadline had closed and that Alamy hadn't claimed for me. I panicked for a while - thought it was the DACs people telling me I'd forgotten to submit the form.

:D

Got an email today telling me that the DACS deadline had closed and that Alamy hadn't claimed for me. I panicked for a while - thought it was the DACs people telling me I'd forgotten to submit the form.

:D

LOL. Had the same thought!  :D

Alamy have made a claim on my behalf for pics sold through Alamy and it is the worst deal I get. Other agencies also make claims on my behalf but only take 50% not 50% minus unspecified expenses! The best deal is the claim I make on my own behalf for direct sales. Still some thing less than 50% of something is better than nothing and it only takes a few seconds to send the email.

Regen

Alamy have made a claim on my behalf for pics sold through Alamy and it is the worst deal I get. Other agencies also make claims on my behalf but only take 50% not 50% minus unspecified expenses! The best deal is the claim I make on my own behalf for direct sales. Still some thing less than 50% of something is better than nothing and it only takes a few seconds to send the email.

Regen

It only takes a few minutes to submit the claim yourself.

John.

regen, on 17 Oct 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:snapback.png

Regen

John.

You are quite right John BUT I can only make one claim myself and i have allready done this for the maximum claim for both books and magazines for pics sold myself. All i am saying is that Alamy take a larger cut than other agencies.

Regen

Regen

John.

You are quite right John BUT I can only make one claim myself and i have allready done this for the maximum claim for both books and magazines for pics sold myself. All i am saying is that Alamy take a larger cut than other agencies.

Regen

John means that you can claim on your own account based on the licence information Alamy provide in your summary of items sold.

Regen

John.

Regen

John means that you can claim on your own account based on the licence information Alamy provide in your summary of items sold.

Correct :)

That is also correct but I do not need to because i am allready making the maximum claim in my own right based on my own direct sales. My sales through Alamy are of no use for a DACS Claim unless I allow Alamy to make the claim on my behalf because i am not allowed to make 2 claims myself. So either I allow Alamy to make the claim and pay me 50% less their expenses or I dont let them do it and get nothing. Other agencies also make a claim on my behalf and only keep 50% making Alamy the worst deal.

Regen

That is also correct but I do not need to because i am allready making the maximum claim in my own right based on my own direct sales. My sales through Alamy are of no use for a DACS Claim unless I allow Alamy to make the claim on my behalf because i am not allowed to make 2 claims myself. So either I allow Alamy to make the claim and pay me 50% less their expenses or I dont let them do it and get nothing. Other agencies also make a claim on my behalf and only keep 50% making Alamy the worst deal.

Regen

If you are maxed out you are maxed out. You should not be making multiple claims via agencies. It reduces the pot for everyone else. 

Regen

If you are maxed out you are maxed out. You should not be making multiple claims via agencies. It reduces the pot for everyone else. 

Sticky moral ground there. DACs already favours the part timer, or low seller, with the perverse banding they have which is weighted to small claimants. They also say overseas artists/photographers should initially claim via sister societies (to which they give money) but no such society in USA for example, so should we stop US-based claimants on that basis?

Anyone who has been in the business for a decent length of time will have accrued thousands of suitable uses.....

Jane Hobson Said

"If you are maxed out you are maxed out. You should not be making multiple claims via agencies. It reduces the pot for everyone else."

Agree entirely. However you clearly do not understand the system or its rules.

I made my first claim in my own right back in 2006.  In 2010 an agency that I supply decided to start claiming on their photographers behalf. I refused to sign the docs and was told I would be in breach of my contract with them. I checked with DACs and was told they could indeed claim on my behalf for pics they had sold. Now other agencies like Alamy have jumped on the bandwagon and the dilution factor as a result of my double/triple/quadruple claim will be peanuts compared with all the 50% Alamy will take from the DAC s pot. - Money which I believed was intended for the Artist who owned the copyright.

Regen

I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't fill in the claim themselves. As someone above said, it takes about 15 minutes, the first time - much quicker in subsequent years - and the amount can be several hundred pounds. Unless your photography work is charged at £200 an hour, filling in the form yourself is time very well spent.

"I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't fill in the claim themselves. As someone above said, it takes about 15 minutes, the first time - much quicker in subsequent years - and the amount can be several hundred pounds. Unless your photography work is charged at £200 an hour, filling in the form yourself is time very well spent."

Because as an indervidual I am allready claiming the maximum for magazines and books WITHOUT any Alamy licences which are all for magazines and books in my case. I cannot make more than one claim as an indervidual- which is a pity as I have more than 10,000 licences which would qualify from my own sales.  However the rules allow agencies to make claims on behalf of photographers for licences which the agency has sold. I therefore have a choice either instruct Alamy to make a claim on my behalf and accept 50% minus expenses or accept nothing for licences sold thro Alamy. Other agencies also make claims on my behalf but split the monies 50/50 I think Alamy are being particularly greedy with respect to this matter

Regen

Archived