DACS and Alamy

If I applied view Alamy, will the payment occur at Alamy balance? (I've also applied via Corbis and Getty)

See my earlier post below.

Received an email from MS today confirming my DACS application had been submitted by Alamy, and any subsequent payment expected in December. Payment is dependent on usual cleared $75 dollar threshold payment on your account.

I live in Germany, Joe, applied myself and have received my payment.

Thanks, Gruffydd. I`m in Spain, haven`t received payment yet. Also submitted claim myself, as i have for the past two years.

Joe

So Alamy get not only 50% but also get to keep the rest for a while. Hmm.

Well, to be fair, they only do that if you agree to let them do that. It ain't compulsory.

dd

Well, to be fair, they only do that if you agree to let them do that. It ain't compulsory.

dd

True, I do it myself, it's just the fact that it goes onto one's balance. It's not as if it might be refunded.

Anyone outside the UK received DACS payment yet (those that applied direct, not via Alamy)?

Joe

Still awaiting payment in the U.S., and wondering if anyone else this side of the pond has been paid. I submitted my own claim, not through Alamy.

We emailed all eligible photographers and recommended they apply directly themselves.

We gave everyone the option of giving us permission to claim for them, but clearly explained it would be at a 50% charge and they would be financially better off claiming direct. Despite this, the demand was so high, we had to bring in a whole bunch of temporary staff to cope with the amount of claims. 

We have not yet received the funds from DACS but when we do, these will be placed onto the appropriate photographer's balance. 

Your comment is almost hinting that there is something immoral or underhand going on here, which is baffling. By far, the best way to pay thousands of photographers their DACS money will be via our existing payment method. Any other manual payment to that volume of people would be costly and inefficient. 

There is absolutely no way we benefit from "keeping the rest for a while"  :rolleyes:

Alamy

Your comment is almost hinting that there is something immoral or underhand going on here,

Alamy

Not at all. I've no argument with Alamy's payment methods. I just wouldn't have wanted to wait another month for less money so I didn't . If the offer mentioned the wait then fair enough.

I live in Germany, Joe, applied myself and have received my payment.

Thanks, Gruffydd. I`m in Spain, haven`t received payment yet. Also submitted claim myself, as i have for the past two years.

Joe

I do have a UK bank account, so maybe that is why I have received my payment and others haven't.

As someone who struggles with form filling I was very happy to accept the offer from Alamy to do it for me. As for the wait for I can live with that.

Glad it works for you.  But having filled out all the forms, I find Alamy's offer more like extortion, because only this way can a full claim for RF licenses be made.

Alamy, if you want to save yourself some work and temporary staff, just add a single column to the sales spreadsheet indicating whether the (RF) license is for magazines/books (hence DACS eligible). You have this information already in order to get my tally of DACS eligible sales.

Otherwise next year I too will need to have you do the paperwork because way more than half of my eligible sales are RF.

add a single column to the sales spreadsheet indicating whether the (RF) license is for magazines/books (hence DACS eligible). You have this information already in order to get my tally of DACS eligible sales.

Otherwise next year I too will need to have you do the paperwork because way more than half of my eligible sales are RF.

That makes sense

I find Alamy's offer more like extortion, because only this way can a full claim for RF licenses be made.

extortion |ikˈstôrSHən|
noun
the practice of obtaining something, esp. money, through force or threats.

Obviously the use of the words "more like extortion" do not apply to Alamy's offer. I am delighted that Alamy would be willing to make the claim on my behalf.

Archived