DACS and Alamy

My payment came a while ago but today I got a letter in the mail stating how much I got etc. but there is also a form called "Certificate of deduction of income tax".  Do I need to do anything with this?  It looks like the WTH was deducted.  I'm in the US.  I don't think they should be deducting anything, right?

I received my payment a couple of weeks ago plus a followup letter in the mail yesterday. No taxes were withheld; however, I'm in Canada. I've heard from other US photographers that DACS withholds 20% from you guys. Don't know why that should be.

Thanks John.  Yes, I don't understand why they would do that.

witholding taxes is a minefield! Unless you manage to obtain a TIN (Tax Identification Number) most American publishers and agencies will deduct 30%. Japanese agencies will hold onto 15% I think. Generally speaking, countries behave in a reciprocal way. I still have a few investments in Canada and 15% is held back for the Canadian tax man. And so it goes on.........

Just like Visas, "you make it difficult for us, we'll do the same back to you"

If the figures are significant, keep good records and your accountant may well be able to claim the amounts back from your income tax calculations.

My payment came a while ago but today I got a letter in the mail stating how much I got etc. but there is also a form called "Certificate of deduction of income tax". Do I need to do anything with this? It looks like the WTH was deducted. I'm in the US. I don't think they should be deducting anything, right?

I received my payment a couple of weeks ago plus a followup letter in the mail yesterday. No taxes were withheld; however, I'm in Canada. I've heard from other US photographers that DACS withholds 20% from you guys. Don't know why that should be.

Thanks John. Yes, I don't understand why they would do that.

Yep, like Robert said, you Americans do the same to us, Europeans :mellow:

I also submit to Age Fotostock US and had to obtain an ITIN number in order to get the full amount. A lot of bother to get it done (I almost gave up). Paperwork being returned without explanation, no email address for asking questions, had to resent birth certificate over and over again, etc, etc....... Sheila Smart (B.t.w. where is Sheila? :huh: ) had the same problem with the US Tax Office and finally gave up.

Cheers,

Philippe

ITIN is dead easy to get if you are within reach of one of the European-based IRS offices. I got mine in five minutes in London and you could do same for (IIRC) Paris.

Most tax authorities will let you put the withholding tax against your self-assessment so it's not lost.

ITIN is dead easy to get if you are within reach of one of the European-based IRS offices. I got mine in five minutes in London and you could do same for (IIRC) Paris.

And you're telling me that now? ;)  Could have used that information a few years earlier ^_^ 

Cheers,

Philippe

I did mention it on the old forum.... :blink:

If anyone goes down that route (not to Paris but to an IRS office... :P ) as soon as your forms are accepted, you are within the system and given a number to contact if you don't get the ITIN within, I think, six weeks.

As for filling out the forms, well I was sure mine were all correct but the IRS official did change a few things before 'accepting' the forms. I also didn't have the problem of notorising a passport with all the problems that seem to arise with that - they photocopy your ID and hand it back. Since the day was tax deductible, it seemed like a sensible decision to make sure it was done that way. IIRC, London, Frankfurt and Paris have IRS offices attached to Embassies or Consulates.

Since I deal with a number of US agencies, I really had to get an ITIN. All this was many years ago but I assume is still valid.

Right, I'm still waiting and beginning to get concerned that I didn't click 'send' or something. Anybody else?

Phil, if you did your claim online, you should've received this email:

Dear xxx,

Thank you for submitting your Payback claim.

This year, Payback closes on 30 September 2014. We will be in touch before the deadline if we have any questions about your claim.

You can view your claim at any time by logging into your account. You can also edit your claim as many times as you like before the deadline. Select ‘revert to draft’ to begin making your changes but don’t forget to re-submit your claim before the deadline.

If your claim is successful then you will receive your Payback royalties by the end of December. This is provided we have your up-to-date contact details and payment information. Please remember to log in to your account and update your information should any of your details change.

Kind regards,

The Payback Team 

020 7553 9081/9099

payback@dacs.org.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived