A New City to Capture?

Ed Rooney

Question

23 hours ago, wiskerke said:

If you love rain, come now.

We would love to have a real winter, but maybe not this year. (Don't mention the war.) Our regular winters are now much like winter in London: rain and sleet but seldom real snow nowadays let alone frozen canals.

Personally I think a real winter is fine, also photographically, but otherwise I much more prefer the sun. Which is why I am rooting for Malaga in winter.

Having said that, Amsterdam under a good blanket of snow is a sight not to be missed.

cover27-helloamsterdam
Ice but no snow is also not bad though 😁
Just now I see they actually did stuff to the image. Spot the differences.

wim

Wim, they. really didn't like that white van did they? Or your sky for that matter!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wim, my stepbrother, Bill Curran, owned a bar in Marbella. He was trying to break into films and in fact played the lead in a bad Spanish horror film. Kid liked to follow him around calling him Monster Man.

Sorry about Florida. I forgot about the Europe part.

I was underwhelmed by Marbella. Marbella may be big, but Malaga is a real city (and 3x the size of Marbella).

The food capital of Spain is San Sebastián I believe. Not yet been there. Nor in nearby Bilbao. Very rainy cities. Maybe more of a summer destination.

But maybe your question was meant more in general as opposed to where would you go now, or this winter.

Never seen any Spanish horror. I loved the westerns that were shot in the Almeria desert. Just happened to play about all versions I have of the tunes of For a Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More this afternoon.

wim

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Wim, they. really didn't like that white van did they? Or your sky for that matter!

I counted 5 differences: 3 people shifted; the sky and that ginormous Land Rover. Where did they get that canvas top from? And where does it sit in a real Land Rover with a canvas top?

That sky was before we had sky replacement. And it shows. I don't mind the parts of trees that gone missing, but the gold ornaments of the church tower would have stood out much better against their sky.

Except for that car and the amped up reds in people's clothing, I get the changes.

- Note to self: go to 11 more often.

wim

• Love 1

Has no one mentioned Cordoba? My favourite Spanish city, fabulous architecture etc.

Not a city but I have fond memories of a week spent at Millau in southern France, superb walks in the hills around, quaint nearby villages and of course that beautiful viaduct.

Staying in France, Auxerre is one of my favourite cities, the view from the river with the cathedral reflected in the water is something special, then there are the quaint streets of half timbered houses. I recall cycling along the riverside to get there and being wowed by the view.

I guess I'm not a city person but locally Newcastle with its numerous impressive bridges over the river, the bustling quayside, and what remains of Grainger Town always impresses. Staying local, I never tire of Durham and its riverside walks while the situation of the cathedral high above the river must be one of the most impressive in Europe.

Finally I'll add my vote for Glasgow, surprisingly green and with some stunning architecture.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

Thanks again for all the interesting suggestions. I suspect most of these places have changed since Brexit, Covid, and the threatened economy. 

I'm 88 today. I'll treat myself to a slap-up Indian lunch . . . here in Liverpool. 

Tio Edo

• Love 4
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks again for all the interesting suggestions. I suspect most of these places have changed since Brexit, Covid, and the threatened economy. 

I'm 88 today. I'll treat myself to a slap-up Indian lunch . . . here in Liverpool. 

Tio Edo

I was hoping you would post somewhere to wish you a Happy Birthday. A little bird (not Twitter) had told me. 

Que te vaya bién Tio Edo!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tio Edo

Many happy returns!!!! 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tio Edo

Happy Birthday!

88 is a great and significant number. It follows 87 and precedes 89! 😁

- And it means all sorts of nice things in Chinese. Don't know of any Indian numerology meanings though.

wim

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Happy Birthday!

88 is a great and significant number. It follows 87 and precedes 89! 😁

- And it means all sorts of nice things in Chinese. Don't know of any Indian numerology meanings though.

wim

88 = 2 fat ladies

Or apparently the new version is "Wills and Kate - 88".

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tio Edo

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for the third time. Already sent you a cake.😉

Allan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tio Edo

Happy birthday Edo. Here's to many more. 🎂🥂

Edited by Dave Richards
changed text
  • Thanks 1

Plenty of trams, Ed. But yes, hills.

In Lisbon we sat inside a Goan restaurant by the castle and watched the rain cascade down the cobbled slopes. Venturing out would have been unwise so we ordered more wine.

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

but at least Lisbon has a lift..........

HE7W9C.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tio Edo

Bonne Fête Edo....  bon lunch!!!!

• Thanks 1