A New City to Capture?

Ed Rooney

Question

I really enjoy Rotterdam - modern architecture, Spido boat trips around the port to see the shipping close up, and river taxi down to Dordrecht stopping at Kinderdyjk.  

Not so keen on Amsterdam but Wim's home city of Haarlem is a delight. 

I spent a couple of summers working in the bulb fields at Hillegom ( late 1970s) and Haarlem is where we bulb factory workers would go for weekends to waste our wages in the bars ( and also to Amsterdam but that always got too out of control!)

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

I'm going to pitch Glasgow into the ring. Plenty to do and see (lots of it free) on a city break. Great food including fresh seafood and amazing curry houses. Try a Haggis dish and Cullen Skink. 🤤 Or maybe try Edinburgh which is very photogenic.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I'm going to pitch Glasgow into the ring. Plenty to do and see (lots of it free) on a city break. Great food including fresh seafood and amazing curry houses. Try a Haggis dish and Cullen Skink. 🤤 Or maybe try Edinburgh which is very photogenic.

Totally agree. Was just in Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as other places in Scotland, for the first time. I enjoyed them both, for different reasons. Access by train was easy, too. I’m planning to return in a few months. You live in a wonderful place.

3 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Totally agree. Was just in Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as other places in Scotland, for the first time. I enjoyed them both, for different reasons. Access by train was easy, too. I’m planning to return in a few months. You live in a wonderful place.

Oh it has it's faults but there are worse places for a visit. I'm pleased you enjoyed it though. ☺️

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I really enjoy Rotterdam - modern architecture, Spido boat trips around the port to see the shipping close up, and river taxi down to Dordrecht stopping at Kinderdyjk.  

Not so keen on Amsterdam but Wim's home city of Haarlem is a delight. 

I spent a couple of summers working in the bulb fields at Hillegom ( late 1970s) and Haarlem is where we bulb factory workers would go for weekends to waste our wages in the bars ( and also to Amsterdam but that always got too out of control!)

I would really love a few weeks just in The Netherlands to really enjoy it. 

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I would really love a few weeks just in The Netherlands to really enjoy it. 

Jill

If you love rain, come now.

We would love to have a real winter, but maybe not this year. (Don't mention the war.) Our regular winters are now much like winter in London: rain and sleet but seldom real snow nowadays let alone frozen canals.

Personally I think a real winter is fine, also photographically, but otherwise I much more prefer the sun. Which is why I am rooting for Malaga in winter.

Having said that, Amsterdam under a good blanket of snow is a sight not to be missed.

cover27-helloamsterdam
Ice but no snow is also not bad though 😁
Just now I see they actually did stuff to the image. Spot the differences.

wim

Every winter in NYC, we have a couple of serious snow falls and it doesn't take long for it to turn black. But NYC is not in Europe, is it? 

FD3MEJ.jpg

Micheal, I did a shoot in Bruges towards the end of the film era -- pretty city but with a lot of rain and bad bistros.

AX4THX.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney

I quite fancy Brussels - not been yet.

Prague is also a beautiful place and not too expensive. Got a bit of that eastern vibe going for it as well, and the language sounds similar (to English ears) to Russian. Petrin Hill is well worth the walk up, as is the view from the top of the big oblong building that holds the mausoleum of Klement Gottwald. The National Monument at Vitkov.

Edited by Cal

I'm a native New Yorker -- been to Brussels and Berlin. 

Young people are big on Berlin now. I remember going there and thinking I was going to find spies walking up and down alleys. But Berlin is a green city full of parks. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

28 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Funny nobody is mentioning Miami. Or Florida in general.

wim

Here you are then.       Miami. Or Florida in General.😉

Allan

23 hours ago, wiskerke said:

rooting for Malaga in winter.

wim

Wim, my stepbrother, Bill Curran, owned a bar in Marbella. He was trying to break into films and in fact played the lead in a bad Spanish horror film. Kids liked to follow him around calling him Monster Man.

Edited by Ed Rooney