A New City to Capture?

Ed Rooney

Question

Köln. Or Cologne in English, er, French.

Pros: Twelve Romanesque churches. Kölsch ale, looks like lager but isn't. 11 different brands. Fair curry houses. Still has some ancient (70s-90s) Rieslings left. Eau de (not my thing though). Cons: except for the Dom, and some of the aforesaid churches, rather new, we bombed it a lot.

Trier.

Gent.

Antwerp.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Venice is endlessly photogenic, could spend weeks photographing there. I also liked photographing in Prague. Doing Christmas markets in Strasbourg etc. is also great fun. I like Rome too, ancient ruins everywhere, right next to modern buildings.  Basingstoke is..... 🤣

Haven't really visited Eastern Europe, so can't speak for it.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I think of myself as quasi-Romano but I said goodbye to my one-time home in 2008. I would like to visit Pisa and Florence again to see an old friend. Venice? Perhaps I’ve been there enough, if that's possible.

Malaga and the south coast to Marbella I know well. When I think of Madrid, I remember the headache I had from testing Sherries. 

Lyon, Strasbourg, and Cologne call to me. Ghent is too near Bruges, where I was unpleasantly surprised at how bad the food was. 

I was back in Strasbourg again this past September. There’s always something interesting to see and the public trams and buses are easy to use. The train station is in the heart of the city, too. While I also like and appreciate cities such as Lausanne with its terraced streets, Strasbourg is relatively flat and less of a challenge for my aging knees. However, if I wanted to go somewhere this winter, I’d head to Rome, Naples or Bari where the weather is bound to be a bit warmer. 

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Venice is endlessly photogenic, could spend weeks photographing there. I also liked photographing in Prague. Doing Christmas markets in Strasbourg etc. is also great fun. I like Rome too, ancient ruins everywhere, right next to modern buildings.  Basingstoke is..... 🤣

Haven't really visited Eastern Europe, so can't speak for it.

With Christmas i agree Strasbourg is a good option.. 

I would also highly recommend the Zagreb market, plus the city is underrated . Food however, well no one goes to Croatia for the food.   Also Zagreb is only a 3 hour train ride from Ljubljana, Slovenia which is probably my favourite city discovery of last 10 years in Europe 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Putting aside that fact that travel doesn't pay for itself, where would you go in Europe to do a good city shoot? 

Edo

Cork, Ireland, since I'm setting a scene in a novel there and will have to rely on Google Street Views otherwise. 

Strasbourg is where the brasserie concept is from. It's also where the second coming of Gong is from -- three classical-trained percussionists where the core. My stepson, Hansford Rowe, was the bass player.

But then there's the cuisine of Lyon . . .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Strasbourg is where the brasserie concept is from. It's also where the second coming of Gong is from -- three classical-trained percussionists where the core. My stepson, Hansford Rowe, was the bass player.

But then there's the cuisine of Lyon . . .

Don't know about Lyon cuisine. I love Strasbourg, but the Alsation cuisine is rather German... Highlight for me was tarte flambee, which is kind of like poor man's pizza 🙃

• Like 1

Strasbourg's great. Plenty of modern French cooking too, spritz Aperol on a barge on the canal, just like Venice (sorry, I know it should be Select, but we didn't find that until our second time in Ravenna). A quick tram over the Rhine and you're back in Germany, where the beer is half the price. (Anyone know of any other international tram routes?)

Oh, and Ravenna. 2 hours from Venice on the cheap train. Change at Ferrara. Oh yes, Ferrara as well.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Strasbourg's great. Plenty of modern French cooking too, spritz Aperol on a barge on the canal, just like Venice (sorry, I know it should be Select, but we didn't find that until our second time in Ravenna). A quick tram over the Rhine and you're back in Germany, where the beer is half the price. (Anyone know of any other international tram routes?)

Oh, and Ravenna. 2 hours from Venice on the cheap train. Change at Ferrara. Oh yes, Ferrara as well.

Basel Tram lines go into both France and Germany 

the Genève one goes into France.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

And 25min by train from Ferrara there's Bologna!

Pro: Food food food glorious food. And ice cream. Oldest university. Interesting churches. Beautiful arches that keep you dry when it rains.

Con: It may rain.

wim

edit: The airport is as close or even closer to Bologna as the airport of Malaga and Torremolinos is to Malaga. And Bologna is the train hub of Italy.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

And 25min by train from Ferrara there's Bologna!

Pro: Food food food glorious food. And ice cream. Oldest university. Interesting churches. Beautiful arches that keep you dry when it rains.

Con: It may rain.

wim

Yes that's how we got to Ravenna last time. Be nice to have more than 4 hours there. Flight to Bologna, great ragú at La Sberla, visit to the anatomy theatre, quick beer, train to Ravenna.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Yes that's how we got to Ravenna last time. Be nice to have more than 4 hours there. Flight to Bologna, great ragú at La Sberla, visit to the anatomy theatre, quick beer, train to Ravenna.

Or South with the high speed rail to Florence.

Oh and that ragú is now even more easy to get with the new monorail from the airport. Haven't tried it yet though. Marconi Express.

wim

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Or South with the high speed rail to Florence.

Oh and that ragú is now even more easy to get with the new monorail from the airport. Haven't tried it yet though. Marconi Express.

wim

We did that the time before. Venice, Padua, Ferrara, Ravenna, Florence, Milan. 3 months before I got a DSLR😀 Just Regionale though. frecciarossa is a bit expensive.

Four of us in a taxi probably beat the (then unbuilt) monorail fares. But wow, now.

Oh and Padua as a day trip from Venice. But watch out for the vehicles. After a few days in Venice you can imagine they don't exist.

Edited by spacecadet

I would love to go to Reykjavik,  Amsterdam would be my second choice. Only pit stopped at the airport there once.  Maybe some day I'll get there. Vacation and camera, good combo.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
I forgot Iceland is part of Europe. Duh!
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Steve F said:

Don't know about Lyon cuisine. 

Lyon has 21 Michelin restaurants. It is the French city where chefs are born. Bologna is the Italian equivalent. Normally, I don't eat dinner but I think in those cities I would suspend my fasting.

Jill, Amsterdam has been a favourite of mine but I don't know what it's like in 2022. I was there last in 2006. If you wander in the famous red light district, and you will, keep your eye out for overly protective pimps who don't like people with cameras. Wim would know what's going on in the city today. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3

😀😉

Not anymore.

I was born very nearby. Like really nearby. I learned how to ride my bike in this narrow backstreet with all these nice aunties always watching out of their windows and their boyfriends watching over me. Felt really protected there. 😂

wim