November 2021 Challenge: Weather

Michael Ventura

10 hours ago, Marianne said:

I love that owl! Beautiful!

thanks Marianne.  That owl probably was one of my greatest ally last winter through the pandemic and learning to adapt to less movement.  i actually understood the fascination some birders do seem to have for them, so great to watch, many times i would just put the camera aside and observe. 

• Love 1

18 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Marianne. We love living near the coast,  my wife and I used to race sailing dinghies on the sea when we were younger, and now there is rarely a week goes by when we don't cycle there, or take a walk along the shore. I have more photos of that lighthouse than you can shake a stick at, including some where the waves crashing over the pier are as high as the tower.

Lucky you! Someday I hope to live near the water again. I grew up by the water but haven't lived near it since I was 16. 

14 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks Marianne.  That owl probably was one of my greatest ally last winter through the pandemic and learning to adapt to less movement.  i actually understood the fascination some birders do seem to have for them, so great to watch, many times i would just put the camera aside and observe. 

You're welcome. Must be fascinating to watch. 

• Love 1

Three from me

golden-evening-light-and-a-dramatic-summ

Weather passing - golden sunlight appearing after a storm

dramatic-black-clouds-gather-behind-a-tr

Weather coming - very dark clouds and a lovely wooden church in Jokkmokk in Sweden. Yes, it rained.

a-lady-climber-in-a-blizzard-in-the-alps

In weather - white out conditions in the Swiss Alps

• Love 2

Bit late to the party.

1. Sea Fog or Fret, Low Tide, Christchurch Harbour UK

2H621A2.jpg

2. Does no weather count? Minimalist pic of a very calm day looking over the Solent/Christchurch Bay from Milford On Sea (you might know somebody from there, Michael 😉)

2H53J8B.jpg

3. Jumping the waves during Storm Francis, UK

2CD20KF.jpg

Edited by Martin L
cock up
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Man, what a pic!!!!

Boom!

Game over!

Hasn’t this photo won before?  I know not for a weather topic.  But a question for everyone, should a winning photo be considered for other challenges?  I guess I am okay with it since it is a very different challenge subject.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Hasn’t this photo won before?  I know not for a weather topic.  But a question for everyone, should a winning photo be considered for other challenges?  I guess I am okay with it since it is a very different challenge subject.

I think you might be correct, and I'd agree that it wouldn't be fair to enter images that had previously won. I'll swap it out.

5 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I think you might be correct, and I'd agree that it wouldn't be fair to enter images that had previously won. I'll swap it out.

Well it is an outstanding photo!  Very nice of you to voluntarily replace it so we don't have any controversy.  We do have a couple of days hear any other opinions.  But I suppose we can make it a rule that previous winning photos can't be entered again.  Do you want to wait til we hear from others?  I do like a democratic process.  

I do agree the winners should be retired. It is a smashing image, though.

A thought…. Once a year, or every two years, we could have a Best of Show contest where all of the winners of the previous year or two compete against each other, but only for that one contest, then start over for the next year or two winners.

• Love 2

26 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do agree the winners should be retired. It is a smashing image, though.

A thought…. Once a year, or every two years, we could have a Best of Show contest where all of the winners of the previous year or two compete against each other, but only for that one contest, then start over for the next year or two winners.

Great idea Betty!

And yes, I agree about excluding winners. But I am in favour of entering the same image again if not a winner.

• Love 2

Ohhhhh.... Don't ask me to remember what I have entered before. The other day I couldn't remember the name of the muffin I like. Remembered at the last minute so I didn't have to ask the deli guy if he remembered what I had the day before.

Paulette

I'm with Paulette. Although I have the luxury of not having a winner, I don't keep a list of entries and certainly wouldn't expect to remember I'd entered a winner in years to come. The challenge seems to survive with, effectively, no rules and I don't think it needs any. A new challenge is a new challenge.

• Like 1