Contract Change 2021 - Official thread

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hmmm! Strange. I wonder if the vaccine had been altered slightly to take account of the covid variant.

I had Pfizer for both. The second jab being back in April and had no side effects.

Allan

Side effects to the vaccine are all part of the immune response and that is individual to each person. Mostly it seems that with AZ reaction occurs after the first dose. and with Pfizer following the second. But age also plays a factor in that the reaction is less the older you are (but the vaccine not less effective). Immune status may wane after several months, which is why there will be an annual booster. There is a whole process to undergo if a vaccine is altered, so I doubt that has happened. Pfizer are confident in their vaccine efficacy against variants. (I used to be a nurse, and studied immunology a long while back ... ).

Hope that helps a little ...  (I've had my second vaccine with no side effects at all- except for a sore arm, which lasted about 12hrs).

Edited by BidC
spelling/typing errors 🥴
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, BidC said:

Side effects to the vaccine are all part of teh immune response and that is individual to each person. Mostly it seems that with AZ reaction occurred after the first dose. and with Pfizer following the second. But age also plays a factor in that the reaction is less the older you are (but the vaccine not less effective). Immune status may one after several months, which is why there will be an annual booster. There is a whole process to undergo if a vaccine is altered, so I doubt that has happened. Pfizer are confident in their vaccine efficacy against variants. (I used to be a nurse, and studied immunology a long while back ... ).

Hope that helps a little ...  (I've had my scnd vaccine with no side effects at all, except for a sore arm, which lasted about 12hrs).

Your post matches my understanding of the subject. I'm coming up to 70, have had both jabs (AZ) with no issues. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Your post matches my understanding of the subject. I'm coming up to 70, have had both jabs (AZ) with no issues. 

I had the first shot of AZ. Apart from an enormous bump on my arm for nearly a month, no side effect. Now to find a town big enough for the second jab....

• Like 4

Vaccines are very important, but this thread is perhaps too important to too many contributors to dilute the subject now? Just a thought.

Question - are any further/final updates still due from Alamy, or is this it now, in terms of the contract in its final form?

• Love 2
  • Like 9
  • Dislike 2

In another thread
I read a post about selling pastries and photos.
He is very understandable and instructive.
I will stick to this story

If I sell great buns on the street where I'm alone
and someone moves in and starts selling cakes too,
I probably won't be happy.
If he starts selling ugly disgusting buns,
I will lose some customers anyway. It hurts me.
In addition, the street rating is reduced,
which is known for baking great buns here.
However, I find it outrageous that these "bakers"
those who don't know the craft come to my shop
and they ask me - How do you do it?
Tell me your tricks, etc.

It's the same with photography.
We are a very competitive environment.
Alamy is no longer a family business,
where each gave his hand for the other. For many years
Alamy relinquished responsibility for helping its community members.
Some photographers have already mentioned this in part and changed their attitude. They don't want to waste time on advice to people who often don't even need advice.
Time is money, there is less and less

The contract is changing, however, it is not accompanied by an improvement in the quality of services
I would expect higher professionalism in all areas.

Alamy is a place where photos are sold.
Some members still didn't realize it.
They still think it's a discussion server
to deal with your frustrations

More to the bakers.
The Bakers' Guild would never accept a member,
who would not have the necessary knowledge and skills.
Alamy opens the windows and calls
everyone you can press a button on the camera - welcome.
I am sad from this.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Vaccines are very important, but this thread is perhaps too important to too many contributors to dilute the subject now? Just a thought.

Question - are any further/final updates still due from Alamy, or is this it now, in terms of the contract in its final form?

Perhaps you can keep your red arrows for something more serious? I gave you one.

• Love 1
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 4

50 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Perhaps you can keep your red arrows for something more serious? I gave you one.

These things don't bother me any longer (but thank you). Was just trying to reassure Allan who asked a question .. onwards :) Have a good day everyone!

Edited by BidC
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

Just now, BidC said:

These things don't bother me any longer (but thank you). Was just trying to reassure Allan who asked a question .. onwards :) Have a good day everyone!

Just wonder why this person has to ask about updates given it's such an important subject. Concentration problems? Laziness? Like you, onwards and upwards.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 4

With the new contract now coming into force on 24th July what is the latest date that we can tell Alamy that we intend to mark everything, almost, 'editorial' and Rights Managed?

I'm assuming they need some time to make the changes. When best to let them know of intent? Would like to leave it as late as possible. Any suggestions? Cheers!

Just now, Jansos said:

With the new contract now coming into force on 24th July what is the latest date that we can tell Alamy that we intend to mark everything, almost, 'editorial' and Rights Managed?

I'm assuming they need some time to make the changes. When best to let them know of intent? Would like to leave it as late as possible. Any suggestions? Cheers!

I have asked Alamy to tick 'Editorial only' for any image containing property or person without a release. They said they will let me know if it's possible. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Yes, so far the Alamy seems to be coming up with a new treaty that is more restrictive for individual members. Furthermore, Alamy will make a 20% profit as a bonus and in exchange offers nothing, no qualitative change. Even PA / Alamy continues to expect our happy faces and all loyalty. Am I falling on my head?

• Like 6

3,328,922 images added this month so far.

So still plenty of interest in uploading here !

Not from me I hasten to add.

Be interesting to see if the people leaving makes much of a difference to the overall image count, come the change over day.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I doubt many will actually leave, all the time and effort involved for small returns adding them to other libraries. Overall quality may take slight dip though.

If you work out the actual hourly rate for image sales on Alamy after costs, for me, it's beyond poor. So a no-brainer to up the ante on other activities that will bring in the money. 

plus a significant portion of the numbers come from agencies and image libraries which have their own deals and possibly not bound by the onerous downloading Alamy has imposed, or at least it is compensated  with higher return. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Be interesting to see if the people leaving makes much of a difference to the overall image count, come the change over day.

Probably none.  The people earning under $250 will be paying for the bragging rights most of all.   And some newbies will be good photographers without memories of the days before PA, and will be delighted with 40%.

• Love 2

18 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

As mentioned in another post, I suspect most submissions will be from other agencies, not individual Alamy contributors. I often wonder how much some photographers earn based upon supplying an agency, then the images go through one or two more agencies before being marketed by Alamy. I've noticed a growth in names of photographers supplying live news by this route. It can't be worth the time and effort for the photographers. I considered it some time back, it wasn't worth it, and even more so now. Personally, I'm now more selective what I shoot, often fitting in with either my own interests or a day out for other reasons.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, MizBrown said:

and will be delighted with 40%.

And then disappointed when they discover they need over 1,000 images to generate 1 sale/month and, when the first sale comes, it's only for $6.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, gvallee said:

I've not given you any red arrows. An am generally not too bothered about these gimmicky tools (which attempt to polarise opinion) and tend to use mostly just likes/positive arrows if any at all. 

Anyway. Back to the alamy contract, which is sadly not a gimmick.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

And then disappointed when they discover they need over 1,000 images to generate 1 sale/month and, when the first sale it comes, it's only for $6.

Mark

I've been having sales since I had only 60 images. This month (so far), I've had three. People on here said I'd never recover from a 0.18 CTR. Its now around 0.48. They said black and white would never sell. I've sold B+W. They said grey skies and an image that was not all sun and blue skies would never sell. I've sold a few. I have only had a couple of sales under $6. Why turn one's nose up at a cup of coffee. I dont spend an enormous amount of time editing, as I believe those pictures are not worth submitting. I also do Live News from time to time, and have also sold; and yes, I find it has been worth it (both in terms of money and the people I meet).

Continuing or not is up to the individual, but the Alamy arm of PA is a business and the changes are their decision. Any photographer publishing in the public realm (which includes submitting to a public portfolio) should have insurance. As do the editors who may choose our images to support a story. The rate is another matter, but again the choice to stay or go is individual.  What other 'hobby' (if that is what it is to you) pays you to contribute and gives you a meeting place where you can freely chat to your friends (free of charge). Those who have a business will make a decision based on that business and its future.

I think there's been a lot of grumbling, negativity, and many doom and gloom scenarios painted here; along with snide comments, and perhaps some over reaction, which helps no one really (imo). I've very much appreciated the one or individuals who have been sensible and *kind*. Life shakes us up, and we adapt - things will never be as they were in the 'good old days' - but (and apologies Chris/Imageplotter here for the digression), but as an example good things happen - we no longer have polio or people unable to pay for health care.

Finally, I hope you all find where the compass takes you, and settle where you are happy. .... 

I won't log-in to reply, so please discuss as you wish ! God Bless.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 6

• Alamy locked this topic