Jump to content

Contract Change 2021 - Official thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

 

in the time i have been here I have never had a Guardian sales reported before month end, or following month if in second half of month.  

That's fair enough, and yes, I'm probably jumping at shadows. But five weeks with not a single sale reported is very unusual for me. Unusual enough that I thought it worth asking if anyone else was experiencing the same.

 

And like I said, Alamy should think long and hard about just how much contributors like me distrust them, because long term it won't be good for business.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dave P said:

They're not foregoing sales! The sales are still being made. I'm suggesting that they're just not posting them to my account straightaway but are waiting until the end of next month when they can charge me 60% instead of 50%. Is this really so hard to understand? I can't see any other reason why there are suddenly no sales showing on my account in a period which would normally rack up four or five. Especially when I know there was a sale to the Guardian.

Ah, I misunderstood you. You're alleging fraud, not spite.

We need a basic level of decency in the discussion here so can I suggest you withdraw your defamatory allegation? Whatever we think about the contract Alamy are not crooks.

NS sales, including Guardian, never report before the last week

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Ah, I misunderstood you. You're alleging fraud, not spite.

A second misunderstanding - I'm not alleging anything. I simply said that a five week dry period was very odd and that with a commission change pending looked a bit suspicious. So I asked if anyone else was experiencing the same. If hundreds of contributors had piled in saying "Yes, me too!" THEN I would have made an allegation. But they didn't so I didn't.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I don't think Alamy have the staff numbers or inclination to pick on individual contributors. Especially small fry like us.

 

but don't you see the big conspiracy all the Shareholders are withholding there sales report,  so they can get an extra pence dividend at the end of the year.  Makes me wonder why they reported the ones last month, since they already knew about this....  (why is there no tinfoil hat emoji?)

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

 

but don't you see the big conspiracy all the Shareholders are withholding there sales report,  so they can get an extra pence dividend at the end of the year.  Makes me wonder why they reported the ones last month, since they already knew about this....  (why is there no tinfoil hat emoji?)

 

 

💡 I forgot about the shareholders! 🤦‍♂️

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave P said:

Yes, it appears that some are, but also that some are not.

 

Quiet periods happen.

In February I had my first blank month in 5 years, then had an above average March, an average April and a best Month ever in May in number of sales and have a good start to June.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave P said:

Yes, it appears that some are, but also that some are not.

 

Having a very poor month with 1 sale so far. That hasn't happened in years, but I put it down to "just one of those things". Maybe the distraction of the new contract and the issues it's causing internally have somehow effected sales. Doesn't make sense, but I wouldn't put it down to a concerted effort by alamy to manipulate sales or sales reporting. I also stopped uploading images this past month and I've wondered whether there is any connection between continuous uploading and placement in search results.

Edited by KFisher
spelling error
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

a sale from UK news scheme at start of the month, that has never appeared until month end under current contract. How is that indicative? 

I’m not speaking on that. All I meant was meanings can be overlooked. His statement belongs to him, not me. I just try to give benefit of doubt when I think something said might be taken several ways. We all need to be as kind as we can be, especially in these troubling times. Don’t you think?

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m not speaking on that. All I meant was meanings can be overlooked. His statement belongs to him, not me. I just try to give benefit of doubt when I think something said might be taken several ways. We all need to be as kind as we can be, especially in these troubling times. Don’t you think?

Well said you 🙂 Thats the problem with message boards tbh...

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m not speaking on that. All I meant was meanings can be overlooked. His statement belongs to him, not me. I just try to give benefit of doubt when I think something said might be taken several ways. We all need to be as kind as we can be, especially in these troubling times. Don’t you think?

no problem..  not sure where i didn't give benefit of doubt.  all i mentioned was fact the sale example wasn't really one that fit the conspiracy theory that Alamy is withholding sales.   or are you saying there is a doubt about that and i should give it some benefit?

Edited by meanderingemu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jan said:

I don't understand the change at all but that can be caused by the language (i'm dutch). I don't have any exclusive images at Alamy. Now I have a blue model. What will that be when I don't change anything? All the changes in the past years weren't any advantage for the photographers at all. Is this another one?

Your income is being cut by 20% minimum. If Alamy get sued for any reason by ANYONE because of one of your images you must pay the legal fees. If Alamy loses the case YOU must pay the damages. Got it?

 

Uw inkomen wordt met minimaal 20% verlaagd. Als Alamy om welke reden dan ook door IEDEREEN wordt aangeklaagd vanwege een van uw afbeeldingen, moet u de juridische kosten betalen. Als Alamy de zaak verliest, moet JIJ de schadevergoeding betalen. Begrepen?

Edited by formerly snappyoncalifornia
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, spacecadet said:

...and under English law, which governs the contract, unfair terms are unenforceable. There's also precedent that a term is unfair if it imposes uninsurable obligations on any party. One hopes, and it is no more than a hope, that Alamy would not start a case in those circumstances, although the fact that their lawyers have written in a potentially unfair term is unhelpful.

My point was that you expressed a willingness to sue, which isn't an attitude prevalent here.

I expressed a willingness to counter sue, there is a world of difference.  The point being if Alamy took an action against me by counter suing I would have some leverage to come to an agreement with them for both parties to drop their respective cases, thus I wouldn't be financially harmed. This attitude is called not being a victim.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I've had eight sales so far this month, which is good, but they are all under $10. 😯

Agree, no conspiracies, my license sales are as per usual this month and not all small ones. What I am annoyed about are corrections to past licenses and unreported licenses either for images I know have already been used or unreported news licenses that ought to have been reported by now that may or may not be reported before the contract change.

Edited by Sally
  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I've had eight sales so far this month, which is good, but they are all under $10. 😯

No conspiracy, just a harbinger

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sally said:

Agree, no conspiracies, my license sales are as per usual this month and not all small ones. What I am annoyed about are corrections to past licenses and unreported licenses either for images I know have already been used or unreported news licenses that ought to have been reported by now that may or may not be reported before the contract change.

i agree, but this was always a problem with Alamy.  Sales date should be based on date of usage, not when client finally decides to report it.   

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

no problem..  not sure where i didn't give benefit of doubt.  all i mentioned was fact the sale example wasn't really one that fit the conspiracy theory that Alamy is withholding sales.   or are you saying there is a doubt about that and i should give it some benefit?

Ah, well, let’s stop it there. Perhaps Dave didn’t understand how the newspapers work. I really don’t much, either. I think I probably would have expected a license to be reported also, if I’d known the image was in print. Realize not all of us, especially people like me who almost never have a newspaper license, (so we don’t pay attention to those threads) know how they report and pay.  I’ve had a couple of sales to UK newspapers, but never saw the images in print and didn’t know how late they paid. The sale just showed up on my page like all others.
I kind of think tempers are short with all that’s been going on here.

BTW, I only made my first sale of the month yesterday! 😁

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

No conspiracy, just a harbinger

 

I sure hope not. Actually, I was wrong. I overlooked a mid-$$ license in the mix. Still, I'm not used to seeing quite so many small amounts coming in one after another. Better than nothing, of course.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Old story, new confirmation:  Reviewed my insurance coverage today with a major American insurer, which I've been with for several years.  Excluded from coverage is "Personal and advertising injury...(4) For which the insured [that's me] has assumed liability in a contract or agreement."  In other words, if Alamy's contract requires me [as it does] to indemnify them for any legal expenses resulting from some end-user using one of my images in an offensive way, or from Alamy pursuing some suspected infringement which turns out to be legitimate, my insurance won't cover me for the error committed by Alamy, an Alamy distributor, or an end-user.  Makes it hard to sign the Alamy contract.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Old story, new confirmation:  Reviewed my insurance coverage today with a major American insurer, which I've been with for several years.  Excluded from coverage is "Personal and advertising injury...(4) For which the insured [that's me] has assumed liability in a contract or agreement."  In other words, if Alamy's contract requires me [as it does] to indemnify them for any legal expenses resulting from some end-user using one of my images in an offensive way, or from Alamy pursuing some suspected infringement which turns out to be legitimate, my insurance won't cover me for the error committed by Alamy, an Alamy distributor, or an end-user.  Makes it hard to sign the Alamy contract.

 

Thanks for the update. That makes sense form the insurance company's POV. I've not been planning to leave. However, hearing stuff like this certainly does give me second thoughts, especially without some badly needed clarification from Alamy, which doesn't seem to be forthcoming (unless I've missed something).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Alamy locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.