May 2021 Favourite Uploads

VbFolly

I don't often do night-time photography, but yesterday I heard that Guildford Cathedral was being illuminated with green lights in the evening, so went and had a try. It was for "Surrey Day", which I'd never heard of before, and the idea of the green colour was to represent Surrey being the most densely wooded county in England. The Cathedral is on top of a hill, so it could be seen all over the town.

may-1st-2021-today-the-third-annual-surrey-day-was-held-with-various-events-and-celebrations-some-virtual-taking-place-in-the-evening-guildford-cathedral-was-illuminated-in-green-light-in-recognition-of-surrey-being-englands-most-densely-wooded-county-and-the-words-surrey-day-were-projected-onto-the-front-2FKGJEN.jpg

may-1st-2021-today-the-third-annual-surrey-day-was-held-with-various-events-and-celebrations-some-virtual-taking-place-in-the-evening-guildford-cathedral-was-illuminated-in-green-light-in-recognition-of-surrey-being-englands-most-densely-wooded-county-and-the-words-surrey-day-were-projected-onto-the-front-2FKGJMP.jpg

• Love 6

Sunset over Darwin Harbour waters in the Northern Territory of Australia.

With a sea kayak passing by.

Image ID: 2FKM958

Photograph taken in April, but uploaded just now.

sunset-over-darwin-harbour-in-the-northe

• Love 4

In celebration of pubs reopening in England :)🍻

Pubs reopening post Covid-19 lockdown - Jägerbombs & black sumbuca shots on a wooden table outside Barton's Mill pub in Old Basing, UK. May 2021

pubs-reopening-post-covid-19-lockdown-jg

• Love 2

Two big surgeries this year (the first was hand surgery, the second for my third bout of breast cancer) has left me unable to handle the camera for a while, so I've been going through old  files. I processed this one as there are not many of these birds on Alamy, and before it got loaded, my other image of this bird was zoomed. I was so lucky to get this image - these birds are generally quite high in trees, but these were on a lower branch and allowed me to get quite close. I guess they were too busy cleaning and preening each other to worry about me.

cardinal-lories-preening-each-other-pseudeos-cardinalis-chalcopsitta-cardinalis-four-wild-birds-photographed-at-uepi-solomon-islands-2FMBETR.jpg

• Love 6

I took another deep dive into the hard drive with my unedited Myanmar photographs and found this one.

Taro root harvest in Shan State

woman-harvesting-in-a-taro-root-colocasia-esculenta-field-shan-state-myanmar-2FMEMTF.jpg

On 10/05/2021 at 11:18, cbimages said:

Two big surgeries this year (the first was hand surgery, the second for my third bout of breast cancer) has left me unable to handle the camera for a while, so I've been going through old  files. I processed this one as there are not many of these birds on Alamy, and before it got loaded, my other image of this bird was zoomed. I was so lucky to get this image - these birds are generally quite high in trees, but these were on a lower branch and allowed me to get quite close. I guess they were too busy cleaning and preening each other to worry about me.

cardinal-lories-preening-each-other-pseudeos-cardinalis-chalcopsitta-cardinalis-four-wild-birds-photographed-at-uepi-solomon-islands-2FMBETR.jpg

I hope you're OK now Carol. I was thinking about you after your hand op but didn't want to hassle you.

What birds are these? Not Aussies. Whereabout were they?

Take care xx

• Love 1

21 hours ago, gvallee said:

I hope you're OK now Carol. I was thinking about you after your hand op but didn't want to hassle you.

What birds are these? Not Aussies. Whereabout were they?

Take care xx

Sadly all is not good Gen, but thanks for asking. I grew a massive 90mm tumour in less than 12 months, along my mastectomy scar. Most has been removed surgically, but not all. All my remaining lymph nodes were removed from my armpit, 23 removed and 18 had cancer. Three nodes were removed from up near my neck - all have cancer. They are grade 3 - the worse and most aggressive - as all of my tumours have been. I have refused radiation in the past, because of fear of lung damage and my diving, but know I need to agree to it now. They have given me a 50/50 of it working. To add insult to injury, I developed a big (my hand size) weird discoloured patch under the end of the mastectomy scar on my back - I saw it on Saturday, and the radiation doctor & breast nurse have no idea what it is. My surgeon is away this week, but the radiation professor ordered an urgent biopsy, which I had today. Once the results come back, my radiation planning will happen and I can start treatment asap. At the moment, I'm sitting here, terrified it's more cancer going crazy..........

The birds are endemic to Solomon Islands & Bougainville, these taken at Uepi, in the western province of the Solomons. Cardinal Lory, Chalcopsitta cardinalis.

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

Sadly all is not good Gen, but thanks for asking. I grew a massive 90mm tumour in less than 12 months, along my mastectomy scar. Most has been removed surgically, but not all. All my remaining lymph nodes were removed from my armpit, 23 removed and 18 had cancer. Three nodes were removed from up near my neck - all have cancer. They are grade 3 - the worse and most aggressive - as all of my tumours have been. I have refused radiation in the past, because of fear of lung damage and my diving, but know I need to agree to it now. They have given me a 50/50 of it working. To add insult to injury, I developed a big (my hand size) weird discoloured patch under the end of the mastectomy scar on my back - I saw it on Saturday, and the radiation doctor & breast nurse have no idea what it is. My surgeon is away this week, but the radiation professor ordered an urgent biopsy, which I had today. Once the results come back, my radiation planning will happen and I can start treatment asap. At the moment, I'm sitting here, terrified it's more cancer going crazy..........

The birds are endemic to Solomon Islands & Bougainville, these taken at Uepi, in the western province of the Solomons. Cardinal Lory, Chalcopsitta cardinalis.

OMG Carol, you're going through tough times. You've been on my mind, wondering how the creator of those wonderful pictures was doing. I suppose it's hard to put health issues at the back of your mind. Are you able to concentrate on what brings you joy? Your photography of course, perhaps photographs you never had the chance to upload? I'm only seeing the Alamy aspect of your life of course but you may have other areas of interest linked to your diving that you never had the time or chance to explore or develop further? One thing the internet is good for is to link like-minded people. I am sending you good vibes and warm feelings. 

• Love 2

5 hours ago, cbimages said:

I am so sorry to hear this. I know I was incredibly lucky to have my stage two breast cancer successfully treated. I was pretty much terrified the entire time I was treated... mastectomy and chemo but, thankfully, no radiation necessary. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I have had so much joy from your images of an undersea world I haven't seen myself. Thank you for taking me there.

Paulette

• Love 2

7 hours ago, cbimages said:

Once the results come back, my radiation planning will happen and I can start treatment asap. At the moment, I'm sitting here, terrified it's more cancer going crazy..........

So sorry.   Best wishes for a reasonable recovery.

• Love 1

Sending well wishes from Canada. 

Jill

• Love 1

Very sorry for the tough news and diagnosis Carol, my thoughts are with you for a recovery.  So glad you use Alamy and this forum as way to keep you busy with something else while you let the pros deal with your health.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, gvallee said:

OMG Carol, you're going through tough times. You've been on my mind, wondering how the creator of those wonderful pictures was doing. I suppose it's hard to put health issues at the back of your mind. Are you able to concentrate on what brings you joy? Your photography of course, perhaps photographs you never had the chance to upload? I'm only seeing the Alamy aspect of your life of course but you may have other areas of interest linked to your diving that you never had the time or chance to explore or develop further? One thing the internet is good for is to link like-minded people. I am sending you good vibes and warm feelings. 

Thanks for all the good wishes, they are very much appreciated. Gen, I am starting to go through old files, because I haven't been able to pick up the camera since before the hand surgery. We were hoping for a few days away once I recovered from the cancer surgery, but healing was slow as this was the fourth surgery in the same area. Then, the hormone meds I was prescribed knocked me around badly, I was taken off them after 26 days of hell as I could barely function, move my limbs and needed to stay next to a bathroom 24/7. Those side effects are finally easing, but still there. But the radiation guys want me asap now.......hopefully the planning will go ahead next week and we can get onto it the following week. The last week will be a very intense round each day onto the scarline to try to really hit the cancer that cannot be removed. They have warned me of being very tired and having arm soreness for many weeks after treatment. But my real fear is lung damage.......

Paulette, I'm glad you're keeping well. I hope you remain cancer free for the rest of your life. I know you understand the fear that is there 24/7. It's debilitating.

My diving is my life and my world. Plus my wonderful husband, who is almost 81. And who is as keen a diver as I am. I have done a lot of research over the years, and have the great honour to have a marine animal named after me. I just need to hold out hope that I can continue to dive, because not being underwater is like losing a limb. Covid has stopped us travelling to our dive spots, and I have to believe we can stay well and strong until the world re-opens.

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 2
  • Like 3

These 2 were taken on May 11.  It is the same peak, but lake (reservoir in fact) is different.  It's from "matrix pano" series - both 3x3, high resolution

ha-ling-mountain-peak-reflected-in-calm-

2FMWCX1

2FMWCXF

One of these was taken with Canon 6D SLR, other with Sony Rx100.  Is it obvious which is which?

35 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

These 2 were taken on May 11.  It is the same peak, but lake (reservoir in fact) is different.  It's from "matrix pano" series - both 3x3, high resolution

2FMWCX1

2FMWCXF

One of these was taken with Canon 6D SLR, other with Sony Rx100.  Is it obvious which is which?

Bottom is Sony

Edited by Betty LaRue

Just now, Autumn Sky said:

I will answer but I'm curious if someone thinks differently

I changed my answer! 😂 See above. I initially that # one was softer=RX. Then I looked at dynamic range, and decided # two was the Sony. Heck, I don’t know.