May 2021 Favourite Uploads

VbFolly

28 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I changed my answer! 😂 See above. I initially that # one was softer=RX. Then I looked at dynamic range, and decided # two was the Sony. Heck, I don’t know.

Will answer, just want to see what others think.  Not trying to draw attention to my shots, but curious about  SLR vs Pocket.  Obviously small sensor is apparent in low light, but this "matrix" technique blurs the difference.  100%  versus screen shot are 2 different things, but in this case it wouldn't reveal much.  So if most say "heck I don't know", I will be more confident taking "commercial" Sony shots

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

One of these was taken with Canon 6D SLR, other with Sony Rx100.  Is it obvious which is which?

Not without seeing a 100% version.

Because of the higher dof I would say the latter is the smaller sensor. But it could just as well be the higher contrast, that only suggests a higher dof.

Besides it's probably not with the same aperture. Because at the best aperture for the 35mm, the tiny RX100's sensor would be well into it's diffraction zone.

wim

Yes,  second image is Sony.  So it still shows but it is not apparent.   Even Betty had to flip :)  Wim is as always spot on;   Canon was F8,  Sony was F4 (shot in "Program Auto" mode).  Reason 2nd was Sony - I didn't check Canon battery level before heading out & was left only with 4%;  it would lock, take 1 or 2 frames and then simply die.  So I did it with Sony which always sits in pocket wherever I go.

Sally - I am also often disappointed with Canon 24-105L lens when shot at 24mm;  although this lens is generally regarded very highly corners are just too soft, .  I find 35mm optimal & simply shoot grid when everything can't fit in single frame.  Sony is clearly inferior in technical sense, it is smaller sensor after all, but with enough light and "grid technique" results are acceptable (and it is so convenient)

Thanks guys!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Fantastic pictures. Is proof of age ID the length of beard? Well done.

Yeah, long white beards are very common, almost a uniform. I just loooooove those remote pubs. So full of character and unique. So quintessentially Aussie! I could put together a coffee table book by now.

19 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Great images Gen! I was confused by the third one as I was looking at the images on the small screen of my iPhone so I didn't recognise he was sitting on a barstool at first 😂  I love the wind chime.

That's my other half... Sexy no? 🤣🤣

I know fellow contributors are feeling a bit peeved off with the proposed changes to the contract, but lets take a short break and take a break like I did in the Lake District with the Q. B&W panoramic.

Tarn Hows.

2FNJ6TK.jpg

Moss Eccles Tarn, Near Sawrey.

2FNJCKC.jpg

Windermere

2FNJD73.jpg

Troutbeck

2FNJDBW.jpg

Copper Mines valley.

2FNJFEA.jpg

• Love 4

I snapped this view of downtown Vancouver (a place I barely recognize now) with a Sony kit lens through a thick, dirty thermal glass window. It's surprisingly sharp and detailed across the frame. Hmmm...

downtown-vancouver-skyline-in-2021-with-north-shore-mountains-in-background-vancouver-british-columbia-canada-2FNJ4HF.jpg
Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3

Thought this might bring a smile to some faces, which we all need right now. Taken in the Ubud (Bali) Monkey Forest some years ago. An unsuspecting tourist had a glass of juice.....until the monkey stole it.......and it sure seems to be enjoying the treat.

long-tailed-macaque-macaca-fascicularis-monkey-is-drinking-juice-from-plastic-glass-and-has-it-all-around-the-mouth-and-lips-funny-animal-photo-2FNXX1R.jpg

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 5

I'm going through old files as a health issue is stopping me from using my camera, and also because we can't travel. I'm missing Bali so much, and this lovely old lady reminds me why I love my time there.

elderly-balinese-woman-wearing-sarong-red-and-yellow-tops-towel-wrapped-around-her-head-standing-near-road-with-hands-in-prayer-blessing-position-2FR5C9C.jpg

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I love the look in this bird's eye.

female-american-goldfinch-spinus-tristis

Isn't it nice when they arrange themselves with a nice color scheme? These new images are terrific.

Paulette

31 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Isn't it nice when they arrange themselves with a nice color scheme? These new images are terrific.

Paulette

I do love the gorgeous gold/yellow hue of the image.  Be nice if all the birds did that.

Jill

I have not uploaded much this month... pretty much everything around here I've captured to death.   This is one pic from the other day,  there is lots of spring snowmelt going on and waterfalls are quite nice.  These are lower Spray Falls near Canmore, AB

lower-spray-falls-scenic-cascading-water

It was actually not easy to get down, had to clamber down some rocks carrying tripod and everything.  But then it was nice, had it all to myself & took ~10 shots, different angles;  this one I like the best.   Its 2 sec exposure, ISO 100, F8,  Canon EOS 6D with 24-105L lens at 30mm.  That patch of frozen snow still hanging off the cavern is quite interesting.

Another note -- as I was hiking through the woods, all of a sudden I spot movement:  VERY large grizzly bear.  It could have been no more than 70m away.  It was feeding & couldn't care less about me.  I carry bear spray (not just for wildlife, but for .... guess I won't go there).  Backed slowly in the other direction;  it didn't follow me.

• Love 2

27 minutes ago, Sally R said:

While I dream of travelling in Canada, including through wilderness areas, this is the one thing that terrifies me! The grizzlies are so big! I'm glad you were not followed. Sounds like you stayed calm and did all the right things. The main concern here are snakes, but I have seen them so often and used to them now, and they don't bother you if you don't bother them. Whereas a grizzly seems positively terrifying to me.

That is usual reaction to unknown.   I've seen bears many times in the back-country and while accidents happen,  they are really not interested in you - unless 1) Sow is trying to protect the cub  2) Bear is accustomed to human food (for which we are to blame).   On the other side I've always been terrified of snakes - before spending time in California where I got used to rattlesnakes.  This was on a hike to Iron Mountain in Poway, San Diego;   just let him pass and continue

p4028575735-5.jpg

I am more afraid of cougars because they are sneaky & will follow you for long time before they attack.

Only accident I had was because of humans.  Last fall on a hike, it was provincial park, 3 dogs came out storming out of nowhere.  I did not have bear spray on me as it was not really wilderness;  before I could react one came and bit me pretty good, before the guy called them off.  They were not supposed to be off leash.  I debated reporting the accident, and probably I should, but at the end they would have killed the dog(s), and owner who is to blame would go unpunished.  This is why I carry bear spray now everywhere.   Still have mark on back of left leg that will probably stay forever.

10 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Last fall on a hike, it was provincial park, 3 dogs came out storming out of nowhere.  I did not have bear spray on me as it was not really wilderness;  before I could react one came and bit me pretty good, before the guy called them off.  They were not supposed to be off leash.  I debated reporting the accident, and probably I should, but at the end they would have killed the dog(s), and owner who is to blame would go unpunished.  This is why I carry bear spray now everywhere.   Still have mark on back of left leg that will probably stay forever.

I hiked in places where the dog had to be under good control or on a leash.  At Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in Virginia, the ranger I talked to said her husband had to help a guy get his dog to the vet after it chased a deer and the deer kicked it and broke bones.  He didn't fine the guy because the dog was so badly injured.   I don't know if the dog in your case had prior bites or if the province had a "one bite, put down" rule.   In the US parks, the owner is fined.  The dog I owned then was under good control and didn't run deer other than to move them away from my camp.   I've had some who couldn't be trusted off leash.

Law in Philadelphia was pit bulls off leash could be killed. Here in Jinotega, Nicaragua, there's a leash law for pit bulls and other fighting breeds.   A friend has a old dog who was on the street until he was a year old.  He knows how to keep out of traffic and is calm outside his house (one guy he wanted to eat inside the house turned out to be a robber).

My current dog is absolutely stupid in traffic. 

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

My favorite dog story is the Doberman who let the robber into the house but wouldn't let him out.

Paulette

Some NYC couple in the 1970s came home to find their Afghan hound with his muzzle covered in blood tied to the toilet.   The burglars didn't kill him, but he did nail at least one of them.

The day after my burglary, my little Border Terrier bit the investigating cop on the butt (not hard).  Cop was sensible about it after exclaiming, "Lady, I don't need that."  Border Terrier had apparently hidden during the burglary.

14 hours ago, Sally R said:

From what I've read it often links to humans doing something they shouldn't such as habituating the dingoes to human interactions by feeding them, which is apparently an issue on Fraser Island in Queensland.

Yes.  Most wildlife incidents can be traced back to human behavior unfortunately.  Last year Parks Canada fined some idiot that got out of the car, stripped off his shirt, took boxer stand and started provoking bear he spotted by the highway.   Can you believe that.

btw watch this - this was an Australian couple, visitors, couple of years ago. I can't believe they had cool to actually film this

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/alberta-hikers-grizzly-video-july-2018

This is btw right where I live (and where I am going for a walk shortly, lol).  Look at the size of that bruin.  And how it got off the trail to go around.