April 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

American Ayres S2R-G10 Turbo Thrush aircraft modified for agricultural use like crop dusting or topdressing.

To prove that tagging is not always boring, my research has shown that in the States, a special version was made for narcotics eradication, featuring an armoured cockpit and engine to protect against hostile ground fire. 

2F85W88.jpg

• Love 3

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

American Ayres S2R-G10 Turbo Thrush aircraft modified for agricultural use like crop dusting or topdressing.

To prove that tagging is not always boring, my research has shown that in the States, a special version was made for narcotics eradication, featuring an armoured cockpit and engine to protect against hostile ground fire. 

I used to see these in the agricultural area where I lived all the time- that same type- and wondered what happened to them. Turned out aerial spraying was banned in the EU years ago because of the danger from overspray.

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Always sit on your flak jacket, the (Russian) helicopter crews taught me. 😁

wim

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

2F8M63C.jpg
Got back to processing my New England leaf-peeping trip images.

Great image Betty! Colour, light from behind the clouds, dramatic sun ray on the landscape....

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Steve F said:

Great image Betty! Colour, light from behind the clouds, dramatic sun ray on the landscape....

Thank you, Steve. As I think I mentioned before, when I began uploading these images shot in 2009, I had more failures than passes. That was back in the day when a failure put one in a 6 week hold on uploads. A few uploads passed, but I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong on the others, because I was trying to be ultra-careful. I was shooting Nikon D300 and mostly the great Nikon 24-70 lens. A few from a Canon G9 camera that didn’t fare well. A lot of CA and some softness.  I do remember that there seemed to be some angst on the forum about QC being too harsh. Probably more me than them.

I finally just quit uploading from that trip.

Now I’m processing these images from scratch and they are flying through. Even some from the little camera. The thing is, I wasn’t  using LR back then. The whole CC program is so much better than then. CA removal, noise control and all of that. Plus I think I’m more discerning now.

Whatever, I’ll take it.

• Love 1

Men wearing safety harnesses standing on roof installing LG NeonR DC photovoltaic panels onto aluminum rails during a residential photovoltaic install Stock Photo

Two men working together to install photovoltaic panel onto aluminum rails on residential rooftop, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA Stock Photo

Two men working together to install photovoltaic panel onto aluminum rails on residential rooftop, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

Image ID: 2F6RJXX

Man laying on rooftop reaching under photovoltaic panel to connected the wiring during a residential installation, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA Stock Photo

Man laying on rooftop reaching under photovoltaic panel to connected the wiring during a residential installation, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

Image ID: 2F6RJXT

Edited by dlmphotog
  • Love 3

17 April 2021. The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery signal start of national one minute silence for funeral of HRH Prince Philip, photographed on parade ground at Woolwich Barracks, London.

King George VI Lines, Woolwich Barracks, London, UK. 17 April 2021. The King‘s Troop Royal Horse Artillery mark the 15.00 BST minute’s national Silence in memory of HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh with the first minute gun firing at start of the Silence in Woolwich Barracks. Credit: Malcolm Park/Alamy Live News. Stock Photo

What gives with the condensed posted image?

Edited by Malcolm Park
Tech query

19 hours ago, Malcolm Park said:

What gives with the condensed posted image?

This has happen to me.

To fix it, edit your post, right-click on image and set the vertical and horizontal pixels to taste.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

This has happen to me.

To fix it, edit your post, right-click on image and set the vertical and horizontal pixels to taste.

Hope this helps.

There's a tick box: keep the original ratio or something like that.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

There's a tick box: keep the original ratio or something like that.

wim

The bigger question is: why should we need to do this? Who wants their photos squished?  Seems like keeping the original ratio should be the default

Entrance Gate to Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch in Alberta Foothills

information-board-table-at-entrance-to-y

First time visit couple of days ago.  There's bit of story.  I like to tell stories behind photos, if it annoys you please ignore below.

Ya-Ha-Tinda is private property owned and operated by Parks Canada,but it is not National Park.  It is in Alberta Foothills west of Sundre, where Prairies meet the Mountains.  Banff National park boundary is ~14 km further to the west.  It is the only federally operated horse ranch in Canada.   Access is somewhat difficult & involves several hours of driving on dirt roads, but once you are there scenery is breathtaking.  Many beautiful ridges and distant peaks,  lazy meandering Red Deer River,  Buffaloes grazing prairie Grassland and many wild horses roaming around.   It is also possible to do crossover to Lake Minnewanka or Lake Louise in Banff National Park from Ya-Ha-Tinda;  it is several nights backpack.   There are also 2 campgrounds, but they cater more to Camper Vehicles and Horses than tents.

You can read more if it interests you here:   https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/cheval-horse/YaHaTinda

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Entrance Gate to Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch in Alberta Foothills

information-board-table-at-entrance-to-y

First time visit couple of days ago.  There's bit of story.  I like to tell stories behind photos, if it annoys you please ignore below.

Ya-Ha-Tinda is private property owned and operated by Parks Canada,but it is not National Park.  It is in Alberta Foothills west of Sundre, where Prairies meet the Mountains.  Banff National park boundary is ~14 km further to the west.  It is the only federally operated horse ranch in Canada.   Access is somewhat difficult & involves several hours of driving on dirt roads, but once you are there scenery is breathtaking.  Many beautiful ridges and distant peaks,  lazy meandering Red Deer River,  Buffaloes grazing prairie Grassland and many wild horses roaming around.   It is also possible to do crossover to Lake Minnewanka or Lake Louise in Banff National Park from Ya-Ha-Tinda;  it is several nights backpack.   There are also 2 campgrounds, but they cater more to Camper Vehicles and Horses than tents.

You can read more if it interests you here:   https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/cheval-horse/YaHaTinda

I've mentioned it several times in the past, I love to know the story behind a picture. There is always one. Please don't stop! 

Lovely intriguing picture, my kind of place.