April 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Amazing sunrises! What time did you have to get up for these?

The Exif data of the first shot tells me it was taken at 6:04 but the light is interesting well before that. Generally for sunrises, I get up around 5am, which is not a problem for me as I am a professional insomniac. 

There was a place in another State recently where sunrise was at 4:50 !! 

I just love sunrises, they're so atmospheric. Not that they sell much, but that's another story.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Sand Monitor or Sand Goanna (Varanus gouldii gouldii)

2F6MT0N.jpg

Black Kite (Milvus migrans) feeding on the wing

2F6MT24.jpg

White-bellied Sea-eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster) taking off

2F6MT13.jpg

• Love 5

Alcatraz Island in the San Francisco Bay, I think it was foggy and smoggy.
2F6MK82.jpg

One of the better Reuben sandwiches I’ve had. Lake Placid, New York in 2009.

2F6MK8R.jpg

Common teasel. I’ve had this forever but didn’t know what it was or even how to search for it. Allan Bell posted one at a POD site and I finally discovered what it is. Not that there’s not a million of them on site.

2F6MK8W.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

On 02/04/2021 at 07:11, gvallee said:

Second batch of the day. Cape Hillsborough National Park, Queensland

2F6N821.jpg

Looking for crabs.

2F6N82W.jpg

OH! NO! Throwing arms in the air. The rays have had them all AGAIN!

Sorry to hijack your images Gen. Just being a bit jocular.😉

Allan

Readers will have to expand the images to get the meaning.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

I was watching the local news the other evening and saw how in a month or so, this Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. will be overrun by millions of cicadas.  They are harmless insects that spend nearly their 17 years of their life underground but then emerge all at once to mate and then die.  We see some every year but this brood (brood X) is a true invasion, they cover everything and are super noisy!  Well I photographed them 17 years ago and never uploaded them to Alamy until this weekend.  I see that there are plenty already here but why not add mine. Here are a few.  They emerge as a nymph and then bust out of their shell to become an adult with wings.

USA Maryland Insect Cicada Cicadas Cicadoidea Brood X 17 year cicada emerges from the ground to reproduce Stock Photo

USA Maryland Insect Cicada Cicadas Cicadoidea Brood X 17 year cicada emerges from the ground to reproduce Stock Photo

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Green Turtle hatchling (Chelonia mydas), Great Barrier Reef

This hatchling crawled painfully all the way from the nest to the water. There were smiles all over people's faces, cameras were clicking.

It got to the water edge, swam 2m, SNAP, a shark got it. It had a 10 minutes lifespan. 

2F75HRT.jpg

2F75HRH.jpg

A white-capped Noddy (Anous minutus) carrying a leaf for its nest.

2F75HKX.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

leamington-spa-uk-31st-march-2021-people-of-all-ages-bask-in-the-radiant-sun-on-a-second-day-of-a-march-heatwave-amongst-the-fields-at-victoria-park-near-the-pump-rooms-credit-ryan-underwood-alamy-live-news-2F6FNJ4.jpg

A happy doggo going for a walk as the UKs restrictions loosened and the sun came out to play!

leamington-spa-uk-uk-weather-31st-march-2021-three-women-lie-on-the-grass-people-of-all-ages-bask-in-the-radiant-sun-on-a-second-day-of-a-march-heatwave-amongst-the-fields-at-victoria-park-near-the-pump-rooms-credit-ryan-underwood-alamy-live-news-2F6FNJ9.jpg

The sunbathing mood!

2f72tet.jpg
A gorgeous cherry blossom tree in somebody's front garden!

leamington-spa-warwickshire-uk-30th-march-2021-all-people-young-and-old-headed-out-onto-the-fields-to-bathe-in-a-sudden-shock-of-british-sun-today-perfectly-timed-with-a-reduction-in-lockdown-restrictions-allowing-more-people-to-gather-outdoors-credit-ryan-underwood-alamy-live-news-2F67D1N.jpg

Enjoying a nice book in the shade of a tree.

Edited by RyanU

Cicadas; baby turtles, owww!

Why does a Cicada Year make me feel old? It was a Cicada Year while we lived in DC.

17 years have flown past. I may well see the cherries again, but another Cicada Year?

Check out CicadaMania here.

wim

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Why does a Cicada Year make me feel old? It was a Cicada Year while we lived in DC.

17 years have flown past. I may well see the cherries again, but another Cicada Year?

wim

The Brood X is the big one in this area...so many that you can't help but step on them or drive over them and the whirring call they make is nearly deafening. They equate the sound, in decibels, as something like a low flying jet aircraft when they are "singing" in unison.

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

The Brood X is the big one in this area...so many that you can't help but step on them or drive over them and the whirring call they make is nearly deafening. They equate the sound, in decibels, as something like a low flying jet aircraft when they are "singing" in unison.

Yes, deafening. I think if a person was trapped out all night in that noise, they’d be gibbering idiot by dawn.

17 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, do they show up out your way? Or at your former city/state?

Yes they do. Of course, some years or worse because of the hatch, but there are some every summer. When my son was 6, he gathered their shells off trees and tried to sell them 10 for a penny to his friends! 😂 He’s still a go-getter.

My second attempt at this laid up cruise ship berthed on the Tyne at North Shields, but photographed through the arches of South Shields old town hall.

po-cruises-cruise-ship-azura-berthed-at-north-shields-on-the-river-tyne-laid-up-during-the-covid-pandemic-north-east-england-uk-2F73MBH.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Cicadas don't always make it. Here

My daughter did a science report on cicadas while in the 4th grade and I learned a lot.  One of the things I learned is that the vast amount of the cicadas do not make it reproduction.  But the ones that do, lay dozens of eggs in the tree branches and they will soon drop and burrow into the ground and start the cycle over again.  So many get squished by humans and eaten by birds and a assortment of mammals and some just die in the process of molting.  But enough survive to ensure another swarm in 17th years.