April 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Wikipedia says of them: "Adult southern cassowaries are 1.5 to 1.8 m (5–6 ft) tall, although some females may reach 2 m (6.6 ft), and weigh 58.5 kg (130 lb)."  So as tall as humans, but lighter.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary  

This is a short YouTube video on cassowaries:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zZcXERIMVA

Yes, it's the size of an emu, a small ostrich. Its claw is formidable and can rip your belly open.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Really like your images Gen,

I admire you eye.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck. The least best kept secret is that you have to capture animals while they are doing something. That's a challenge. I like challenges.

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Chuck. The least best kept secret is that you have to capture animals while they are doing something. That's a challenge. I like challenges.

Gen,

Sort of like people... LOL, but they are usually not doing anything natural and they are more easy to "capture"......

Chuck

I massaged this one to get it to size, but I'd taken the photo with a very good lens (Nikon Micro 105mm f/2.8 VR) and decided to try it.   I probably need to get back to the Virginia Falconry Association and get the man's name as he was well known by the other members and also flew Golden Eagles.  The bird is a juvenile Red-tailed female hawk who was rather aggressive (note the glasses and the stick).  The typical thing people to is work with birds of the year who are flying and hunting, but who aren't so good at hunting that they fail to appreciate a bit of help with the first year.  Most of them are released after molting into adult plumage, which with Red-tailed hawks involves getting the red tail.   They're one of two birds that an apprentice falconer in the US outside Alaska could work with when I looked into the sport (in Alaska, apprentices could work with goshawks).

falconer-with-juvenile-red-tailed-hawk-b

• Love 3

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wow, you people get to see a lot of wildlife. Since I've been in Liverpool, I've only encountered Herring gulls, pigeons, and Scousers. 

We have to make an effort to see them mostly. Except if like me, one drives a vehicle with a stone guard. At the end of a day driving, we had a complete zoo: butterflies of various species, crickets, beetles, dragonflies. Then when we stopped, came hungry birds for the bounty.

Edited by gvallee