April 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

This man cycled into the covid surge testing centre and was refused entry to the do it yourself in your car lane (which was empty!) and directed to the rather long pedestrian queue. Seemed a bit ridiculous. Not sold, although two others have from that morning’s trip to the testing centre have which is nice.

london-uk-15th-april-2021-surge-testing-

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Cedar Waxwing, one of my favorite birds. Their feathers are very fine and soft-looking. I seldom see them because they tend to habitat woods and especially near lakes. They will come into town occasionally if food runs short in the country. During winter, I have seen them feed on juniper berries like in this image, and they came into town once and stripped the winter crabapples. I never see just one, they travel in flocks. And twice, in late winter, February, they have traveled with a flock of American robins. In fact, those two flocks had a frenzy with my crabapples while I stood trembling from excitement with my Nikon and 80-400 lens. Most of the images were unusable because I was shaking, I was so thrilled.

Its been 3 years since moving, and I’ve yet to see them here. This image is one I processed from 2007 when in Oklahoma.

2FC13E9.jpg

A real pretty bird Betty.  I don't think we have them here in Ontario.

Jill

• Love 1

3 hours ago, BradleyPhoto said:

This man cycled into the covid surge testing centre and was refused entry to the do it yourself in your car lane (which was empty!) and directed to the rather long pedestrian queue. Seemed a bit ridiculous.

Give an Englishman a Yellow Jacket of Power and he will exercise said small amount of power senselessly and ruthlessly.

Edited by spacecadet

This is image taken just few days ago & uploaded to Alamy yesterday.   Picnic bench with old cart wheel looking across Bow Valley and Town of Canmore towards landmark Three Sisters Mountain,  Canadian Rockies

old-wooden-wagon-wheel-replica-picnic-be

Focus on foreground would be natural for this kind of photo, but I wanted mountains sharp too - so I took 2 photos with different focus, then blended them via layer masks in Photoshop.  I really like this one & uploaded only to Alamy and Photoshop micro

btw in the meantime it snowed big around here, so this is all white.  It snows as I write this too

• Love 2

On 24/04/2021 at 21:07, Autumn Sky said:

2 photos with different focus, then blended them via layer masks in Photoshop. 

Too high up for depth of field then?;) About f11 or 16 would probably have covered that, or perhaps I'm old-fashioned😀

21 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:
2fgx952.jpg

Captured and taken up by the Sun today. Not sure how long the blossom will last.

I really like this. It’s the dappled shade, I think. It imparts the mood of entering a refreshing coolness or something, a feeling, maybe, that I recognize from my past.

Edited by Betty LaRue

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Too high up for depth of field then?;) About f11 or 16 would probably have covered that, or perhaps I'm old-fashioned😀

No tripod but wanted polarizer on + late afternoon = less light.   Besides I prefer having components I can mess with anyway I like.  Shot with F8,  1/80. 

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I really like this. It’s the dappled shade, I think. It imparts the mood of entering a refreshing coolness or something, a feeling, maybe, that I recognize from my past.

Thank you Betty! 

58 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Never thought I’d see a bird growing a rock out of its head. Huh. 😉 Great pics, Gen!

Thank you Betty. Some motorhomes also look like that with their elevated roof LOL!!

I guess you probably know but this bird can kill you. Dad incubates the blueish/greenish eggs clutch, mum has nothing to do with it. Dad is rather protective. Never approach a cassowary with chicks! He will rip you open with his claw.

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Betty. Some motorhomes also look like that with their elevated roof LOL!!

I guess you probably know but this bird can kill you. Dad incubates the blueish/greenish eggs clutch, mum has nothing to do with it. Dad is rather protective. Never approach a cassowary with chicks! He will rip you open with his claw.

That is so interesting. I was down under just once (Tasmania), but noticed great animal/plant difference compared with north hemisphere. Like another planet. So much to see and explore on this planet. Damn this  covid 

Great pics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

That is so interesting. I was down under just once (Tasmania), but noticed great animal/plant difference compared with north hemisphere. Like another planet. So much to see and explore on this planet. Damn this  covid 

Great pics

And in turn, Tasmania is very different to the rest of Australia. We need 10 lives to explore places that interest us.

19 hours ago, Sally R said:

I especially love the clarity and dynamic range in the monochrome images Alan. I feel like I am in that last one walking behind the guy on the railway platform. I would love a Q. I'm sure it makes you think differently and creatively too when out taking photos.

Thanks Sally, yes the sharpness of the Leica lens and the Q produce excellent clarity and dynamic range when converting to B&W in lightroom but so does the D5 or D850. Its about selecting the right image that would look better in B&W rather than in colour. I cannot say that I think differently when using the Q other than with the fixed 28mm lens you move more to get the image rather than change the focal length with a zoom. One thing about the Q is that you are less conspicuous especially for example the train station platform image.

Alan

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

No, I didn’t know that, Gen.  How big is a cassowary? They must be pretty big if they can kill you. There’s nothing else in the image to give me a size reference. When I was 8, I was attacked by a chicken rooster, and that was bad enough. I made the mistake of stepping into what it claimed as its territory while trying to take clothes off the clothesline. He flogged my legs, and when I reached down to push him away, he latched onto my arm with his claws and flogged my face.

One of the scariest things that happened to me and I had welts and deep scratches.

Oh, wait. A close second was the gander that chased me across the barnyard and bit me hard enough on my calf to leave a big bruise. Same age. 
Then there was the hen that jumped up and ripped a huge scab off of my knee from a bike accident. Gushing blood, yuk.  Living on a farm for 18 months was dangerous. 😁
Now tell me why I love birds? I must be nuts.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

How big is a cassowary?

Wikipedia says of them: "Adult southern cassowaries are 1.5 to 1.8 m (5–6 ft) tall, although some females may reach 2 m (6.6 ft), and weigh 58.5 kg (130 lb)."  So as tall as humans, but lighter.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary  

This is a short YouTube video on cassowaries:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zZcXERIMVA

• Love 1