February 2021 Favourite Uploads

Michael Ventura

23 minutes ago, gvallee said:

It must have been great to watch. The whole beach seems to be moving indeed. There seems to be nurseries of very small ones (brown), all together,  then the blue adults further away scuttling around in their hundreds, either on sand or in rafts in water. I was surprised that, apart from one, the gulls don't seem to bother going after them. Too many bones I suppose.

I did wonder why the adults sat further up the beach nearer the treeline, one morning I was watching from my usual spot when about 300 yards up the beach none of the monkeys saw a Leopard accelerating out of the bushes, to late for one youngster.  Back then Leopards and Tiger were not as rare as now, our house was about half a mile from the beach through scrub and a bit of forest and often got a glimpse of both cats. 

• Love 2

23 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I did wonder why the adults sat further up the beach nearer the treeline, one morning I was watching from my usual spot when about 300 yards up the beach none of the monkeys saw a Leopard accelerating out of the bushes, to late for one youngster.  Back then Leopards and Tiger were not as rare as now, our house was about half a mile from the beach through scrub and a bit of forest and often got a glimpse of both cats. 

It sounds idyllic, especially for a kid. A wildlife photographer's dream!!

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

It sounds idyllic, especially for a kid. A wildlife photographer's dream!!

As a kid I suppose "idyllic" as I would see it now was just normal when you grow up in it. All gone now I'm afraid taken over by the scourge of the Palm Oil tree nothing but hundreds of miles of the things grown in huge blocks.

Traditional bucket shower at Twertup Field Research Station, Fitzgerald River National Park, Western Australia. No PR Stock Photo

Traditional bucket shower in a field station in a remote arid national park in Western Australia. I'd been camping and hadn't had a shower for days so took the plunge. First you heat the water from the rainwater tank on the wooden stove indoors, then you come outdoors to the stone outhouse and pour it in the bucket, and use the rope to stop/start flow. Certainly makes you appreciate just "turning on the tap"!

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

This is certainly no match for the wildlife pics on this thread, but it's been on the front page of two local papers so it's a favourite upload!

rosscarbery-west-cork-ireland-2nd-feb-2021-part-of-rosscarbery-pier-collapsed-yesterday-it-is-thought-coastal-erosion-is-the-cause-although-the-section-of-pier-was-built-with-no-foundation-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2E9471T.jpg

Your images certainly sell far better than my wildlife pix Andy!! Well done.

Good grief, broken Irish bridges, summer snow on mountain tops, birds enjoying French cuisine! Maybe once, I was able to see these things. Now days, if it's more than a 12-minute walk from my front door, I skip it. But here you see that I used to go anywhere and everywhere with the official backing of the US Government.

2E9YDDX.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good grief, broken Irish bridges, summer snow on mountain tops, birds enjoying French cuisine! Maybe once, I was able to see these things. Now days, if it's more than a 12-minute walk from my front door, I skip it. But here you see that I used to go anywhere and everywhere with the official backing of the US Government.

2E9YDDX.jpg

French cuisine? I've eaten snails but I still have to try caterpillars...

• Like 1

Afghan Hound. They are very sophisticated looking but have a reputation for stupidity. A friend had one that was afraid to walk on the kitchen floor (slippery). Maybe it was just too smart.

Paulette

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Afghan Hound. They are very sophisticated looking but have a reputation for stupidity. A friend had one that was afraid to walk on the kitchen floor (slippery). Maybe it was just too smart.

Paulette

It might have struggled on the snow and ice then!

Woman using her smartphone to photograph Kaimana Beach from table in the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant, Kaimana Beach Hotel, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA Stock Photo

Woman using her smartphone to photograph Kaimana Beach from table in the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant, Kaimana Beach Hotel, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

- Image ID: 2E9A93W

I was sitting at the table above when I turned around and took some images a of a very proud young man holding the octopus he caught with his friends.

Young man holding up an octopus he caught while free diving off Kaimana Beach, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA Stock Photo

Young man holding up an octopus he caught while free diving off Kaimana Beach, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

- Image ID: 2E9A948

Edited by dlmphotog
formatting
  • Love 1

On 03/02/2021 at 10:30, NYCat said:

That's being a real photographer! I'm always afraid I can't get up again.

Paulette

Hear, hear! Although since I began doing core exercises, I can finally bypass the back pain and do it! No longer crawling to something I can pull up on!

Some catching up to do, that is why I am loading four images.

Lonely horse in frosty field on cold morning light

lonely-horse-in-frosty-field-on-cold-morning-light-2E8XDG7.jpg

Sunset over Lincolnshire

sunset-over-lincolnshire-2E8XF57.jpg

Tree surgeon working up a tree. (one of a set of four).

tree-surgeon-working-up-a-tree-2E8XG0C.jpg

Thoresby Hall Thoresby Park Nottinghamshire.  (reworked image).

thoresby-hall-thoresby-park-nottinghamshire-2E8XFP9.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2