February 2021 Favourite Uploads

Michael Ventura

Shot this on Friday but was added to my Alamy collection today.  These two crazy brothers were kayaking on the Potomac river in sub freezing weather.  An outtake from a magazine shoot.  Fortunately I was dressed for the weather.

usa-maryland-md-kayaking-on-the-potomac-river-near-darnstown-men-winter-fun-2E8P2KW.jpg

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 3

Decisions decisions concept.

Sign created in photoshop, rest of image, was taken in the early 1990's. I use Adobe Bridge to browse my archives to make new images from old. Anytime I see a sky, background, foreground, texture etc that is incomplete but that could be combined in photoshop, I archive it for possible future use. 

concept-of-a-fork-in-the-road-a-deciding

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Why not use the new Sky Replacement tool for a night sky?

Space exploration concept (note, dishes looking for intelligence point away from the earth...)

2E902A5.jpg

• Love 4

The mysterious giant sequoias in Northern California, from 2006. I’m glad I saved this image. The CA was so bad I couldn’t do anything with it in the software of 2006. Easily gotten rid of today.

2E903HY.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Setting monthly goals for uploads and trying to get more of a pace going to build my portfolio.

Silhouette of man standing in front of Lake Merritt at sunset in front of chain links, Oakland, California, USA Stock Photo

I need to get to this too...right now focusing on organizing, editing and selecting, then the keytagging, captioning and uploading will begin again. Mine as well use this downtime for something positive.

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Setting monthly goals for uploads and trying to get more of a pace going to build my portfolio.

Silhouette of man standing in front of Lake Merritt at sunset in front of chain links, Oakland, California, USA Stock Photo

Good for you! It's something I must do this year, all too often my live news pics go into stock and sit there without keywords - I have to get a grip! Nice pic.

Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) with fish

2E970WY.jpg

Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) with crab

2E970X3.jpg

Masked Plover or Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles) preening

2E970X4.jpg

Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica) sifting through the mud

2E970Y9.jpg

• Love 7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) with fish

2E970WY.jpg

Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) with crab

2E970X3.jpg

Masked Plover or Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles) preening

2E970X4.jpg

Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica) sifting through the mud

2E970Y9.jpg

Amazing pics. Love the crabs.

Paulette

• Love 1

wall-of-brightly-painted-wooden-planks-used-to-support-planters-for-rose-bushes-pruned-in-winter-in-the-atlantic-las-llamas-public-park-winter-2021-2E644FN.jpg

Allowed to be out and about here in northern Spain so trying to take advantage of good weather when it appears (no, it's not always good!). 

Dew and early morning sun brought out the colour on these terraced planters in a local park.

(Note to self: why didn't I use terraced in my keywords..doh!)

Can't compete with those wildlife pics above though.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Amazing pics. Love the crabs.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. The crabs were amazing. The whole beach seemed on the go. There were like nurseries of young ones who didn't have their blue colour yet and were a dull brown. It was a messy business lying down in the mud to get those pix. They bit my thighs and crawled into my shorts !!

• Love 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Paulette. The crabs were amazing. The whole beach seemed on the go. There were like nurseries of young ones who didn't have their blue colour yet and were a dull brown. It was a messy business lying down in the mud to get those pix. They bit my thighs and crawled into my shorts !!

That's being a real photographer! I'm always afraid I can't get up again.

Paulette

• Love 1

Two Silver Gulls (Larus novaehollandiae) squabbling (I love the posture and eyes raised to the sky on the right)

2E9RPHE.jpg

A windswept Silver Gull (Larus novaehollandiae) 

2E9RPKC.jpg

2E9RPHF.jpg

• Love 3

5 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

These are incredible. You're on fire!

Not sure about that but thank you. We are camped by an incredible beach. There is always something going on. At low tide, there are zillion of crabs, waders, gulls, ospreys. For landscape shots, the sand patterns are amazing. I've got great shots from my drone, not for Alamy of course. It's a lot of fun.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Had no idea such creatures existed. Glorious.

They're tricky to photograph. They're small and either run away from you or bury themselves in the sand in a split second. Luckily, I had my other half gently coaxing them towards me.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

They're tricky to photograph. They're small and either run away from you or bury themselves in the sand in a split second. Luckily, I had my other half gently coaxing them towards me.

I'm mildly curious as to what particular method works best for coaxing crabs.🙄

Andy

49 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I'm mildly curious as to what particular method works best for coaxing crabs.🙄

Andy

Same as herding cattle. Except that I was lying in the mud waiting for them to turn round and come towards me.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Same as herding cattle. Except that I was lying in the mud waiting for them to turn round and come towards me.

Well they are all fantastic images, took me back to when I was a kid living in Malaya down on the beach at low tide watching thousands of them (Brown not blue) running around. It looked like the whole sand was moving as young monkeys were running around trying to catch them. The adults never seemed to bother, just sat and waited for one to pop out of its burrow.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Well they are all fantastic images, took me back to when I was a kid living in Malaya down on the beach at low tide watching thousands of them (Brown not blue) running around. It looked like the whole sand was moving as young monkeys were running around trying to catch them. The adults never seemed to bother, just sat and waited for one to pop out of its burrow.

It must have been great to watch. The whole beach seems to be moving indeed. There seems to be nurseries of very small ones (brown), all together,  then the blue adults further away scuttling around in their hundreds, either on sand or in rafts in water. I was surprised that, apart from one, the gulls don't seem to bother going after them. Too many bones I suppose.