The new Food Photography thread

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

To repeat myself, for stock, food that is simpler is better. I even left out my scoop of vanilla ice cream for this shot. Yeah, I added it after I took the snap. 

apple-crumble-in-a-green-bowl-with-a-spo

I bet that was delicious with the ice cream😁 and I do like the dark colour bowl..

Carol

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

The trick is to make it in a cake tin so you get the depth! 

Love apple pie and custard. Love apple pie and cream. Love apple pie and custard and cream.

Does something make you think I love apple pie?

Allan

Potato soup, made of potatoes, onions, a secret ingredient for extra flavor, and cornbread. I usually like to add very small bits of carrot in it, but didn’t have any. Also if I have it, bits of celery. Neither of those are necessary, and I only use those bits if they are on hand.

2EXHA26.jpg

• Love 1

I’ll add another pizza to the thread. Slightly unconventional and certainly not for the traditionalists as it has an unleavened flatbread base. We knock these out occasionally as a quick weekend treat for the kids (they can be made and on the plate in about half an hour) :)

2EW4B62.jpg

• Love 1

On 05/03/2021 at 15:50, Betty LaRue said:

Potato soup, made of potatoes, onions, a secret ingredient for extra flavor, and cornbread. I usually like to add very small bits of carrot in it, but didn’t have any. Also if I have it, bits of celery. Neither of those are necessary, and I only use those bits if they are on hand.

2EXHA26.jpg

Corn bread - I'm sure I've seen a recipe for this somewhere.....

16 hours ago, Bionic said:

I’ll add another pizza to the thread. Slightly unconventional and certainly not for the traditionalists as it has an unleavened flatbread base. We knock these out occasionally as a quick weekend treat for the kids (they can be made and on the plate in about half an hour) :)

2EW4B62.jpg

and this would make. great main course after Betty's soup😁

Carol

• Love 1

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Corn bread - I'm sure I've seen a recipe for this somewhere.....

and this would make. great main course after Betty's soup😁

Carol

Cornbread, US measurements

1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal (177.5 grams?)

3/4 cup regular white flour, not self-rising (all purpose) (106.5 grams?)

4 teaspoons baking powder (2/3 ounce?)

3 tablespoons sugar (42 grams?)

1/4 cup shortening (solid fat) (2 ounces or 56.7 grams?)

1 1/8 cup milk (9 ounces or 253-5 grams?)

1 egg

Mix dry ingredients together

Add rest of ingredients without stirring but leave out a teaspoon full of shortening or solid fat to melt in a cast iron skillet until smoking.

Stir or lightly beat just until dry ingredients are wet and just enough until shortening lumps are pecan-size. Don’t mix until smooth to keep cornbread tender.

Dump into a 9 or 10 cast iron inch skillet with hot grease and bake at 400 degrees until golden. While hot, turn out on a plate so the bottom is up.

The cornbread can be baked in a 10X10 inch square glass dish if you don’t have a cast iron skillet. Just let the dish heat up with fat in it in the oven as it’s warming up, take it out, pour in cornbread batter and back in to bake. You won’t get the same crust on the bottom but it’s still good.

I wish I knew how to write this recipe in UK measurements. I looked at a conversion chart but I don’t know what is used by you.

9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Corn bread sold in Tesco and probably other food outlets.

Allan

I make cornbread to go with ham & beans, also beef stew and beef goulash, tomato-based. I butter mine and eat it on the side, but my husband used to crumble it and pile on whatever. I’ve never been a fan of soggy bread, myself. So it’s a bite of one and a bite of the other.

Cornbread can almost make a meal sliced, buttered and with jam spread on it. I like grape, blackberry or orange marmalade. Mmm.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I make cornbread to go with ham & beans, also beef stew and beef goulash, tomato-based. I butter mine and eat it on the side, but my husband used to crumble it and pile on whatever. I’ve never been a fan of soggy bread, myself. So it’s a bite of one and a bite of the other.

Cornbread can almost make a meal sliced, buttered and with jam spread on it. I like grape, blackberry or orange marmalade. Mmm.

Many thanks for the recipe Betty - Allan thanks also but I would prefer to have a go at making my own - need something to do😁

Carol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks for the recipe Betty - Allan thanks also but I would prefer to have a go at making my own - need something to do😁

Carol

I like an adventurous cook. Now give me your best scone recipe! 😄

I love good cornbread, but don’t make it too often these days. My great-grandmother’s recipe doesn’t call for flour, but it does include a can of creamed corn. If I really want to fancy it up, I also add some chopped onion and pimiento before pouring half of the batter into the hot skillet. I next sprinkle on about a cup of shredded sharp cheddar, then repeat a second layer each of batter and cheese. My cooked cornbread is then served out of the skillet. I don’t think I could flip it out even if I tried. The skillet is too heavy.