Lagging Behind in Tagging?

I am. And shamefully so. I'm going to stop shooting for a week or more and spend some time catching up with my tagging. 

I do captions and tags after QC passes my images. I do it that way because it feels unnatural for me to work on visual things and language at the same time: left brain, right brain. This is probably neurotic of me, but that's been my pattern. 

Stay safe, people.

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I am getting behind on processing 133 images on my computer so I suppose I am also lagging behind on tagging them too, but I do it in LR and just make minor adjustments in AIM.

Allan

I do the basics straight away after passing QC then go back to put meat on the bones when I have time. As I've been mostly shooting locally during Covid it's very easy to batch caption and tag the location, then prefix a simple description.

I am too far behind captioning and tagging. After editing a shoot in Photoshop I save only the chosen images as raw, sidecar file and jpg in a dated descriptive folder. Years back I used to save every image I shot, just incase I ever needed them, I never did. Some images require research, other just need more time. With images on a similar theme I use Photo Mechanic to apply captions and tags, then when uploaded and available customise the captions and tags. My WIP folder is getting bigger.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I do captions and tags after QC passes my images.

Same here, but not for the left/right brain thing. It's because I didn't have LR when I started so I couldn't have, and as I'm unlikely to submit elsewhere I don't think it's too important.

Anyway, if Ed does it that way, I'm in good company. That's not flattery.

Edited by spacecadet

43 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I do the basics straight away after passing QC then go back to put meat on the bones when I have time. As I've been mostly shooting locally during Covid it's very easy to batch caption and tag the location, then prefix a simple description.

That's my method too.

Basic info to get them on sale, then go through them again and add details etc

John.

Always batch tag in LR before uploading but not captions. Fine tune once passed QC. Always try to take another look later to pick up the inevitable typos and omissions. Still find some mind, years later. Had a few nice sunny days this week so made the best of it with the camera.  Today it has rained continually, with more promised for tomorrow.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Always batch tag in LR before uploading but not captions. Fine tune once passed QC. Always try to take another look later to pick up the inevitable typos and omissions. Still find some mind, years later. Had a few nice sunny days this week so made the best of it with the camera.  Today it has rained continually, with more promised for tomorrow.

It's supposed to wane all week here as well. Hope you found some waterproof shoes. 👞

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It's supposed to wane all week here as well. Hope you found some waterproof shoes. 👞

Have no fear, stout shoes available and ready for action, but might need the wellies, or a boat.

• Love 1

As I plan to keep a viable archive even in this digital age I always do basic keywording in Photoshop adding © credit so that set of files could be a coherent source in the future. Some of the images go back 50 years and are still selling to-day. There is always the chance the images I create to-day may have a good long life. One of the photographers I used to represent had such appalling handwriting that after too many attempts to get him to help me identify some of the subjects, I just sent it all back. Good photographs but, in effect, unidentified so useless.

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

PP and tagging 10-14 images takes about two hours roughly. 

Glad it's not just me then! It takes me awfully long to go through some sets of images and after the hours spent I often tell myself I must speed up the process... but I know it just means I'd let silly things slip. One of the last things I do before hitting the export button is a final sweep at 1:1 for dust spots and I almost always have to go back and make corrections. Now that the nights are drawing in I've also taken to waiting until morning to do an export as editing under artificial light can cause funny things to happen.

• Love 1

On 23/09/2020 at 13:46, Ed Rooney said:

I am. And shamefully so. I'm going to stop shooting for a week or more and spend some time catching up with my tagging. 

I do captions and tags after QC passes my images. I do it that way because it feels unnatural for me to work on visual things and language at the same time: left brain, right brain. This is probably a neurotic of me, but that's been my pattern. 

Stay safe, people.

Edo

I do the same Edo - always have. It is probably not the most efficient way of doing it, but I find it easier to do in AIM, and I am not selling my images through any other outlet so that benefit of tagging before uploading is not relevant to me

Kumar

• Like 1

I'm exclusive with Alamy too, Kumar.

Been home most of the day. So far, I've not got a single image tagged. 🤒

I went to Pret A Manger yesterday and Rudy’s today to get a coffee. They wanted me to fill out a form. My full name, telephone number, and email, and two other items of info. What? A new government policy, they say. 

Policy? They want to hand me a possibly germ-ridden pen to write on a germ-ridden sheet of paper to buy a coffee? How does this help control the spread of Covid-19? It’s nonsense!

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2

On 23/09/2020 at 18:22, spacecadet said:

Same here, but not for the left/right brain thing. It's because I didn't have LR when I started so I couldn't have, and as I'm unlikely to submit elsewhere I don't think it's too important.

Anyway, if Ed does it that way, I'm in good company. That's not flattery.

You can use Alamy Lightroom Bridge though to import your keywords into LR and take it from there. 

21 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I'm terrible at tagging - live news pics go into stock without having to have tags so goodness knows how many of my pics aren't tagged...😳

I think the caption plays a heavy role in the searches so if they are good and accurate then all is not lost. However, I have had to go back over a lot of live news images and take stuff out which is throwing up irrelevant searches. So worth editing the captions at least as they go into stock as the captions one writes for live news are not necessarily the same as are good for stock images..

34 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm exclusive with Alamy too, Kumar.

Been home most of the day. So far, I've not got a single image tagged. 🤒

I went to Pret A Manger yesterday and Rudy’s today to get a coffee. They wanted me to fill out a form. My full name, telephone number, and email, and two other items of info. What? A new government policy, they say. 

Policy? They want to hand me a possibly germ-ridden pen to write on a germ-ridden sheet of paper to buy a coffee? How does this help control the spread of Covid-19? It’s nonsense!

In Vancouver, some restaurants ask you to leave your name and telephone number for purposes of contact-tracing, which is a good idea IMO. There is usually a bottle of hand-sanitizer next to the sign-in book so that you can clean your hands afterwards. I haven't had to fill out any official-looking forms yet. However, they could be on the way as the predicted fall COVID "surge" seems to be starting here already, and the provincial government will probably have to start imposing tighter restrictions on restaurants. They have already had to clamp down more on bars.  It's a weird new world out there. 🙄

• Love 1

Why would I want to go to a bar and give my details then find somebody out else goes there and reports Covid symptoms. I get traced though quite likely nowhere near the person who reported symptoms, could have been completely different times, and lose my liberty for two weeks?  They don't do that in shops.

Like most of this it does not make sense. The government running schemes to get people into bars and restaurants and then blaming them for being irresponsible. 

Trouble is government here in UK does not want to take responsibility, especially our ' leader' and always looking for someone else to blame.

More 'punishment' is imminent I suspect.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Why would I want to go to a bar and give my details then find somebody else goes there and later reports Covid symptoms. I get traced though quite likely nowhere near the person who reported symptoms, could have been completely different times, and lose my liberty for two weeks?  They don't do that in shops. Like most of this it does not make sense.

In BC, you wouldn't be forced to self-quarantine for two weeks, so I guess things are different here. It's more of a public service than a government dictate. If I were contacted by a restaurant, I'd go and get tested right away, as I imagine most people would. Most shops -- other than some clothing stores -- don't take your contact info here. They just limit the number of customers allowed in and sometimes ask that you wear a mask. I don't go into a store without a mask on.

Edited by John Mitchell

Yes go and get tested sounds reasonable except you can't easily get tested and some people have been asked to travel from London to Aberdeen to get one. So you have to self isolate. Of course people aren't going to do that so they give false names and avoid co-operation. The failure is that the testing is not there. 

Unfortunately our PM who often likes to show off his Latin seems unable to say 'mea culpa' and so the blame game goes on.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Dislike 1

42 minutes ago, Sally said:

I think the caption plays a heavy role in the searches so if they are good and accurate then all is not lost. However, I have had to go back over a lot of live news images and take stuff out which is throwing up irrelevant searches. So worth editing the captions at least as they go into stock as the captions one writes for live news are not necessarily the same as are good for stock images..

I try but simply don't have time to do everything.