Lagging Behind in Tagging?

49 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

In Vancouver, some restaurants ask you to leave your name and telephone number for purposes of contact-tracing, which is a good idea IMO. 

i thought so too, until a few female friends of mine told me why it wasn't such a good idea.  Such difficult time, everything is balance. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i thought so too, until a few female friends of mine told me why it wasn't such a good idea.  Such difficult time, everything is balance. 

Good point. I guess they could always use a tough-sounding or male alias instead of their real names. At a couple of local restaurants I've been too, the servers ask you for your contact info, which seems like a better idea than having a sign-in book on display to other customers. Our privacy is compromised in too many ways already.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

"There is usually a bottle of hand-sanitizer next to the sign-in book so that you can clean your hands afterwards." 

John, I hope you don't think I've been asleep for the past six months? I carry sanitiser and disposable rubber gloves on me. I wear a mask and have another mask in my pocket. I deal with each moment and all situations as they present themselves.

I don't intend to give my personal information to anyone to get a coffee. I don't see that as a solution to anything. I see it as another possible problem. And writing down fake info would be gaming the system and a possible crime. My answer? Don't go out for coffee. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"There is usually a bottle of hand-sanitizer next to the sign-in book so that you can clean your hands afterwards." 

John, I hope you do think I've been asleep for the past six months? I carry sanitiser and disposable rubber gloves on me. I wear a mask and have another mask in my pocket. I deal with each moment and all situations as they present themselves.

I don't intend to give my personal information to anyone to get a coffee. I don't see that as a solution to anything. I see it as another possible problem. And writing down fake info would be gaming the system and a possible crime. My answer? Don't go out for coffee. 

i am OK with some information being gathered, for public safety, provided there is a clear way to dispose, and no access for anything else than the Crisis.  Sadly, this is not where we are in today's world where data mining is so valuable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I hope you don't think I've been asleep for the past six months? I carry sanitiser and disposable rubber gloves on me. I wear a mask and have another mask in my pocket. I deal with each moment and all situations as they present themselves.

I'm sure you're well-prepared, Edo. I was thinking about those who probably might not be as careful about carrying around the necessities.

Fortunately, I've yet to be asked for my contact info at a coffee shop, just at restaurants, where  I usually give only my first name and telephone number (the real one). It sounds as if things are somewhat more casual here than in the UK, which makes sense given that the COVID situation appears to be much worse than in BC at present. Quebec is having a difficult time, as I'm sure you know, so there are more restrictions in La Belle Province.

Stay sanitized and well.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i am OK with some information being gathered, for public safety, provided there is a clear way to dispose, and no access for anything else than the Crisis.  Sadly, this is not where we are in today's world where data mining is so valuable.

Yes, we all leave a trail of personal info behind us these days. It seems unavoidable. I only recently broke down and finally bought a smart phone. It's quite alarming how those things follow you around feeding on your habits. I'm already starting to miss my lovely little dumb phone that minded its own business. 😶

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, we all leave a trail of personal info behind us these days. It seems unavoidable. I only recently broke down and finally bought a smart phone. It's quite alarming how those things follow you around feeding on your habits. I'm already starting to miss my lovely little dumb phone that minded its own business. 😶

I've had the smart phone for a while, but many times would not get a SIM card when in a region for a shorter time.  Really missing the inability to not connect at anytime.  The other day i was following my blue heron, and while i was waiting for it to do something different, my first instinct was to check if anything else was happening.  I wish i just couldn't anymore.  

10 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

I've had the smart phone for a while, but many times would not get a SIM card when in a region for a shorter time.  Really missing the inability to not connect at anytime.  The other day i was following my blue heron, and while i was waiting for it to do something different, my first instinct was to check if anything else was happening.  I wish i just couldn't anymore.  

Here you go. 🤓

4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Here you go. 🤓

🙂.  I also think our tools fashion perception.  Having a camera in my hand has seem to change interactions from others, from borderline intimidation from a certain niche of our society ( fakenews side), to a craving  for anyone to listen for the neglected ones.

Sorry that I'm grouchy, John. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something."

This is Friday night, but the bistros here in the centre (or are they in the center?) are empty compared to the last few weeks. I'm going to be checking on how they do at lunch tomorrow and Sunday. It is cold tonight, 48F, but that doesn't seem to bother the Scousers. One place at the top level of the Liverpool One mall had a 50%-off Mon, Tues, Weds for September sign on the door. Hmm. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sorry that I'm grouchy, John. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something."

This is Friday night, but the bistros here in the centre (or are they in the center?) are empty compared to the last few weeks. I'm going to be checking on how they do at lunch tomorrow and Sunday. It is cold tonight, 48F, but that doesn't seem to bother the Scousers. One place at the top level of the Liverpool One mall had a 50%-off Mon, Tues, Weds for September sign on the door. Hmm. 

Sorry about the wind, Ed, it's only about 11C down here.