How do you carry your camera?

2 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Forget about bags, The real tool is a BUSH JACKET...

They are getting really hard to find.

One thing people should keep in mind: Hiding cameras and then pulling them out can be

dangerous.  I've seen a still photographer shot by security police after they surprised police

by pulling out a Black camera body with a 80-200 f2.8 lens out.  In my opinion it is best when

working in a conflict zone to make it obvious that you are carrying a camera.

Chuck

I remember reading in one of the photo mags some years ago that there was a guy shot (and killed?) by police in Scotland I think (could have been London) because he was carrying a tripod and some concerned citizen rang 999 saying there was a man carrying a rifle. They shot first and asked questions later it seems. Then there was the person who had to sacrifice their blower a few years ago because airport security said it looked like a grenade. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I remember reading in one of the photo mags some years ago that there was a guy shot (and killed?) by police in Scotland I think (could have been London) because he was carrying a tripod

Possibly this then:

https://fstoppers.com/legal/photographer-who-was-shot-deputy-who-mistook-tripod-rifle-had-been-warned-about-238889

Googling 'man shot carrying' in the UK comes up with the suggestion of 'table leg'. That incident was in London in 1999 but the hapless individual was Scottish and carrying a table leg wrapped in polythene, it has to be said that he was a known armed robber apparently.

I'm going have to think more carefully about where i take my monopod.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I remember reading in one of the photo mags some years ago that there was a guy shot (and killed?) by police in Scotland I think (could have been London) because he was carrying a tripod and some concerned citizen rang 999 saying there was a man carrying a rifle. They shot first and asked questions later it seems. Then there was the person who had to sacrifice their blower a few years ago because airport security said it looked like a grenade. 

Wow, that's a cautionary tale. I was once subjected to a rather long interrogation at a land border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua when a bag inspector unearthed a monopod in my suitcase. He no doubt thought it was a weapon. My Spanish is passable, but there was no way I could explain how it was used. I thought he was going to demand a propina ("tip") or confiscate the monopod. However, after passing it around to his fellow guards, he shrugged and waved the crazy gringo through.

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

Possibly this then:

https://fstoppers.com/legal/photographer-who-was-shot-deputy-who-mistook-tripod-rifle-had-been-warned-about-238889

Googling 'man shot carrying' in the UK comes up with the suggestion of 'table leg'. That incident was in London in 1999 but the hapless individual was Scottish and carrying a table leg wrapped in polythene, it has to be said that he was a known armed robber apparently.

I'm going have to think more carefully about where i take my monopod.

Ok. I am not sleeping enough but 1999 sounds about right. I knew there was something related to Scotland and London. My brain is a bit fragmented right now. I do think there was something else around then with a tripod or monopod but who knows? 😀

23 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Wow, that's a cautionary tale. I was once subjected to a rather long interrogation at a land border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua when a bag inspector unearthed a monopod in my suitcase. He no doubt thought it was a weapon. My Spanish is passable, but there was no way I could explain how it was used. I thought he was going to demand a propina ("tip") or confiscate the monopod. However, after passing it around to his fellow guards, he shrugged and waved the crazy gringo through.

Si señor. I never argue with the police and especially not the Spanish (speaking) police. 😀

I use a Thinktank Urban disquise bag. I am wearing that bag in my forum picture. The horizontal bag in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsc6FF0pmbc

I wear it with the strap on my left shoulder and then across my chest, holding the bag under my right arm, at my waist.

When walking around shooting I have the camera on my neck on a neck strap long enough so when I open the top zipper on the bag the camera nestles inside the bag out of sight, but is also around my neck ready for instant action. Nestling in the bag supports the camera so it takes the camera weight off my neck.

I like to work out of a loosely packed bag so the bag contains a facing downward 5Ds, with a 70-200 F4 attached and also a couple of other lenses. The rest of the pockets contain all the other equipment like cable release etc.

When flying and not shooting I pack the same small bag tightly so it also contains the camera stuff but also the travel stuff like passport, reading material, tickets itinery, food, water bottle etc. It fits under the seat.

I also have a much large version of the same thinktank bag that will hold all of my equipment including a 400mm F5.6.

I have a very cheap consumer roll on case sized to international standards that I have gutted. This will contain the large bag fully packed and the smaller bag slipped over the towing handle. Or it will accept the smaller bag inside, along with my clothing and other personal effects.

The bags look like standard luggage and do not look like camera bags. So great for safely rolling into a hotel from a car. The thinktank bags wear like iron, so are like new after 8 years of daily use.

Highly recommend anything from Thinktank

https://www.thinktankphoto.com

7 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

For years, I have worn my cameras over my shoulder and under a 3/4 length Bush Jacket.

Protects them from the elements and crowds.

One thing people should keep in mind: Hiding cameras and then pulling them out can be

dangerous.  I've seen a still photographer shot by security police after they surprised police

by pulling out a Black camera body with a 80-200 f2.8 lens out.  In my opinion it is best when

I also NEVER cross camera straps over my head, there are times when loosing a camera

is better than loosing your head or body.

Chuck

If someone notices you taking photos, they know you have a camera and wherever you hide it isn't secret anymore.   Be careful about having someone follow you home. 

I like wrist straps, and mine are not particularly fancy.    I can hold the camera slightly out of sight, under a jacket or behind my back.   The real trick is to look for people looking at you with a fixed gaze that will remind you of cats looking at mice.

I feel safer if a number of people are on the street.  Even in dodgy neighborhoods, most people are honest and often will come to your aid if it doesn't put them in danger, too.   

When I go out during festivals or in the mercado, one camera, one lens, and often one cocker spaniel with ten percent terrier who weighs around 40 pounds.   Saw a gringa professional photographer in Leon who'd hired two Nicaraguan photographers or photo assistants to be with her and her big cameras.   If you habitually go into dodgy neighborhoods, consider teaming up with another photographer. 

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Customs agents also appear to find Billingham fasteners irresistible.  When I got my Billingham in Nicaragua, all the fasteners had been undone, and going through customs exiting Mexico, the inspector had me undo all the fasteners and explain two items I was carrying. 

I'd show anyone who had trouble with a monopod how it attached to a camera.

52 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I'd show anyone who had trouble with a monopod how it attached to a camera.

I of course thought of that, but doing so would would have brought attention to my camera bag, which he hadn't bothered to explore. I hate it when inspectors start hauling lenses and camera bodies out and fiddling with them. Potentially losing a monopod is much better than having a clumsy guard drop a lens.

I have a variety of bags and use the one that is appropriate for the circumstances.  I have my main large bag for my shoots when I need everything with me.  But if just walking around, I use messenger style bag for just a few camera items.  I also have backpacks for some situations.  

Additional to my last post in this thread. If I'm photographing a typical march / demonstration, usually in London, my shoulder bag will be over my left shoulder and resting on my right side. A D750 with 24-70 Tamron G2 over my left shoulder or in my hands, and my D750 with Nikon 70-300 over my right shoulder. My 24-70 requires pushing a button to release its lens hood, so I never loose it when brushing up against people or obstructions, not so the 70-300. I often apply a small piece of electrical PVC insulation tape to stop it getting knocked off. Luckily last time it got knocked off when it wasn't taped a marcher picked it up and caught me up to give it back.

Generally England is fairly safe and secure unless photographing a far right protest. Many years back I was out in London photographing from dusk to sunrise during June and had 3 youths eying up my camera and starting to encircle me, and commenting what a nice camera I had. I had to pre-empt any theft attempt by swinging the tripod at the biggest threat and advanced on him. They backed off with lots of mouthing, I was lucky they were chancers.

Edited by sb photos

Camera Sony mirrorless A6500 carried by strap. In summer I use a multi pocket gilet to carry lenses while walking. In winter I use a small bag whose manfacturer's name has long since disappeared. Less is more in my view. 

On 25/07/2020 at 21:10, The Blinking Eye said:

Been meaning to ask this for a while. May seem rudimentary, but I would like to see/hear how people carry their cameras around? In a camera bag? Which one? On a strap around your neck? How do you manage for it to be safe and discreet and yet quickly available for a shot? And not heavy or bulky. I walk everywhere, often in dicey urban areas.

I use a two phased approach when it comes to traveling with photo gear.

Phase 1, Getting to the destination I use a ThinkTank Airport International roller bag that holds two Fujifilm X-T3 camera bodies with various lenses and accessories. A roller bag is very easy to pull through an airport or to travel with in general as I don't have to carry the weight but rather roll it.

Phase 2, At the destination the roller bag and extra gear stay at my accommodations. Walking around I use a small fanny pack (facing forward) for filters, extra batteries and SD cards and just have both cameras on my shoulders. My normal carry is a 10-24mm and a 55-200mm. No camera bag or backpack.

20 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

For years, I have worn my cameras over my shoulder and under a 3/4 length Bush Jacket.

Protects them from the elements and crowds.

I also NEVER cross camera straps over my head, there are times when loosing a camera

is better than loosing your head or body.

Chuck

Ah, those great bush or safari jackets. I used to have a dozen of them. 

I was snapping away in Berlin once, up on the hill with the little museum. Down below I spotted  the actor, Hardy Krüger walking his dog. I called down to him and asked where he got the safari jacket he wore in The Wild Geese. He told me the name of a shop in Nairobi, Kenya, not Berlin. Where did those great, useful jackets go? 

And I agree, Chuck—it’s best to be open and obvious using a camera in a danger zone.

Wim, your list of gear reminds me that I’m lucky to be retired now and just shooting editorial stock for Alamy. I have a pain in my shoulder from reading your list.

Edited by Ed Rooney

19 hours ago, MDM said:

Then there was the person who had to sacrifice their blower a few years ago because airport security said it looked like a grenade. 

We were warned by our travel company about carrying a blower in hand luggage. It has to go in the checked bag.

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

My 24-70 requires pushing a button to release its lens hood, so I never loose it when brushing up against people or obstructions, not so the 70-300. I often apply a small piece of electrical PVC insulation tape to stop it getting knocked off. Luckily last time it got knocked off when it wasn't taped a marcher picked it up and caught me up to give it back.

I knocked a lens hood off when I was on an elephant in India. We were photographing tigers and, fortunately, none were near so the mahout retrieved it for me. Unfortunately, the elephant had stepped on it. I kept it as a souvenir.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

I have my 5d with 28-300 around my neck most of the time when travelling . It is heavy so I tend to hold it like you do a baby in a sort of cradling position. I usually have it in a rucksack when not round my neck but have just bought a new bag by Crumpler which I am really pleased with. It is super light and they have a large range of different styles. My kit fits in without being dismantled too and it doesnt look like a camera bag.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Have you ever seen this, Paulette?

Yes. I even saw it before I went on my tiger trip. I don't know why I wasn't really afraid of the tigers... The mahout was even having the elephant do something that made the tigers snarl. There was one time in Africa when a lioness made eye contact with me (she only had one eye) and that made my heart beat faster. Honestly, in the tiger reserve we were in open jeeps so probably safer to be on an elephant.

Paulette

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wim, your list of gear reminds me that I’m lucky to be retired now and just shooting editorial stock for Alamy. I have a pain in my shoulder from reading your list.

Haha!

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AA1uSswLdFe_MbC3niULyWNpQt9VwETKYwb99JDdbUwgq0CdLzn4bjz9eMVxf3jFLhFX4u9l9qyG4xhfApEG6e4SR16bHDTD9G9oWQUodhbUk3Lz9TjpiOtGURYB_avk74n2mb9VcThSmVYU_z_UH1QzZjfQoqtz9BYYVw7Cqsoim1DmridvMbK6oNIUkoeFTyrgtK1M-MmG3QRbpvpLaitQC_l7hyFcybMZb85gtJuoaJ7BjHJSEcv1TlQAl3K2IfmDba0Ut6MdlFXRbu9p-sHafpkfroF7iQlZBtaV89mtHHgod6acAIizSDv7sUzdjNv6wRzjiqCDcr83R9YjqztwkZxJHNJld1IbBpW-chwbnw/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I used a Nova AW bag for years when I was travelling around Latin America. It served me well in all kinds of weather. The main drawback was that it was very boxy looking. I once had a security guard come running after me in an airport shouting that I wasn't allowed to take a beer cooler onto the plane. 😎

Yep it does look like a beer cooler. Not sure if a beer cooler would be allowed in Madrid Airport.

Here's a full size version, but the sling is not much clearer than in this thumbnail.

Like Bill I stuff the bag with the binoculars; back up RX100; passport; phone; keys; change and so on.

wim

edit: the full size image shows the Zing pouch for the RX100 that's in use. Empty, because there's a friendly person taking my portrait with it.

Small Zing pouch here.

The back up RX100 is in this Zing pouch.

Edited by wiskerke

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Haha!

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AA1uSswLdFe_MbC3niULyWNpQt9VwETKYwb99JDdbUwgq0CdLzn4bjz9eMVxf3jFLhFX4u9l9qyG4xhfApEG6e4SR16bHDTD9G9oWQUodhbUk3Lz9TjpiOtGURYB_avk74n2mb9VcThSmVYU_z_UH1QzZjfQoqtz9BYYVw7Cqsoim1DmridvMbK6oNIUkoeFTyrgtK1M-MmG3QRbpvpLaitQC_l7hyFcybMZb85gtJuoaJ7BjHJSEcv1TlQAl3K2IfmDba0Ut6MdlFXRbu9p-sHafpkfroF7iQlZBtaV89mtHHgod6acAIizSDv7sUzdjNv6wRzjiqCDcr83R9YjqztwkZxJHNJld1IbBpW-chwbnw/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Yep it does look like a beer cooler. Not sure if a beer cooler would be allowed in Madrid Airport.

Here's a full size version, but the sling is not much clearer than in this thumbnail.

Like Bill I stuff the bag with the binoculars; back up RX100; passport; phone; keys; change and so on.

wim

edit: the full size image shows the Zing pouch for the RX100 that's in use. Empty, because there's a friendly person taking my portrait with it.

Small Zing pouch here.

The back up RX100 is in this Zing pouch.

I bought mine -- a Nova 4, I believe -- in about 1995 and used it for around 15 years. That model was really boxy. I also had a later model Nova 5, which I think is the one that you are shouldering in the picture. However, I found it too big to lug around and ended up using it mainly for storage. I sold the 5 a couple of years ago in pristine shape. They are very good bags.

Edited by John Mitchell

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I bought mine -- a Nova 4, I believe -- in about 1995 and used it for around 15 years. That model was really boxy. I also had a later model Nova 5, which I think is the one that you are shouldering in the picture. However, I found it too big to lug around and ended up using it mainly for storage. I sold the 5 a couple of years ago in pristine shape. They are very good bags.

I used to own an old Nova 4, I used to keep my C330F and lenses in it. I still own 2 Nova 5's. They were too lumpy to use in crowds, they were bought for storing kit at home, they were relatively cheap too. They live on top of a wardrobe, dusty, and storing my old film cameras and lenses.

5 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I used to own an old Nova 4, I used to keep my C330F and lenses in it. I still own 2 Nova 5's. They were too lumpy to use in crowds, they were bought for storing kit at home, they were relatively cheap too. They live on top of a wardrobe, dusty, and storing my old film cameras and lenses.

My old Nova 4 had no flap, just a flat top, so it looked and felt like a brick. The Nova 5 suffered the same fate as yours until I sold all my film stuff. I never buy bags unless they are on sale, so I probably didn't pay much for either of them.