Images sold in May 2020

4 small sales dropped in tonight. As I was talking about my insects on another thread, I will show that one.

Pink Wax Scale Insect (Ceroplastes rubens) - low $$

G0MTD1.jpg

• Love 2

Mid $$, distributor sale 🙁

2A391JF.jpg

Usage: Editorial

Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Start: 01-April-2020 End: 01-April-2025 ;

Additional Details: Germany, Magazine - print, digital and electronic

• Love 3

Affiliate Sale; Country: Worldwide [US]; Usage: Commercial electronic ;  Media: Website, app and social media ;  Industry Sector: Education ;  Start: 14-May-2020 ; End: 14-May-2025

vin-and-omi-london-fashion-week-resist-aw20-show-eco-friendly-clothing-designed-from-recycled-fabric-female-modelling-long-knitwear-with-resist-2B0EYMX.jpg

• Love 1

OMG!!!! (Sales are still insanely exciting for me) This is my fourth and best Alamy sale for high $$

Can NEVER predict which photos will sell!

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: up to 1 transmission
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 01 April 2020
End: 01 April 2021
Germany, Television (editorial)

https://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?Imageid=E1E5D638-DCE2-4B19-B8B4-FE811E7A6149

Live looping foot pedal station. Boss RC-20XL phrase recorder, Boss VE-20 vocal processor, Behringer Xenyx 1002B analog audio mixer with XLR cables. Stock Photo

Edit to say the thrill has been significantly dampened by the 30% discount.

Edited by The Blinking Eye
added comment
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Maya women cooking tortillas in the Yucatan, Mexico. From film days.

They seemed to get a kick out of the funny looking gringo snapping their picture. 😆

(magazine use, Italy distributor, mid $$)

maya-women-cooking-tortillas-over-open-f

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Distributor sale, you mean?

I do not know how to read these things. When I signed up for Alamy, I remember agreeing to a 50% commission on all sales and that's what I expected to happen. I don't remember agreeing to all these other parcels. Here's what it says:

Alamy Distribution Commission 30%

Distributor Commission 40%

So I am getting 30% of the gross sale

I thought the 30% was because Alamy is giving a 30% discount right now to customers, but maybe I'm not reading it correctly. It feels completely vague and random from my perspective with no further details. Contributors should be told that if they are really lucky, they'll get 50% of the sale and all bets off otherwise.

13 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I do not know how to read these things. When I signed up for Alamy, I remember agreeing to a 50% commission on all sales and that's what I expected to happen. I don't remember agreeing to all these other parcels. Here's what it says:

Alamy Distribution Commission 30%

Distributor Commission 40%

So I am getting 30% of the gross sale

I thought the 30% was because Alamy is giving a 30% discount right now to customers, but maybe I'm not reading it correctly. It feels completely vague and random from my perspective with no further details. Contributors should be told that if they are really lucky, they'll get 50% of the sale and all bets off otherwise.

Click on "Additional revenue options" on your dashboard, and you'll be able to see if you're opted into "Distribution". It's worth it IMO, but not everyone will agree.

• Thanks 1

Basically, if your images are 'Exclusive to Alamy', they get 50%; if they're not, Alamy get 60%.  If the image is sold via a distributor (https://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.aspx#Distribution); you are left with only 30% (as you have detailed above). The table of commission fees is on the page I have linked. The table also lists the other possibilities (NU, video and affiliate sales).  No the discount has nothing to do with any deals that Alamy offers to customers - you wouldn't even know about that -  you'd just see lower gross rates (which might lead you to suspect that some kind of deal had been given). You might occasionally see 'iQ sale' mentioned in your sales reports, which is another deal system for returning or regular customers which Alamy set up a few years back.

You can opt in or out of selective or all worldwide territories where Alamy has distribution agreements with other agencies - but you can only opt out of all or any each April. So you've missed the boat this year.

On your 'dashboard' in AIM (Alamy Image Manager), open up the tab labelled 'Additional revenue options', click on the 'Distribution' option, then select the countries you wish. But as I say, you'll have to wait till next April now.  In any case, I have to say that you will find that Germany is one of those for which you are likely to receive the highest fees, so choose carefully!

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Click on "Additional revenue options" on your dashboard, and you'll be able to see if you're opted into "Distribution". It's worth it IMO, but not everyone will agree.

Aha! Thank you! Yes I am opted in and it explains that exact breakdown: Alamy 30% and Distributor Commission 40%. I hadn't seen all those boxes for different countries before.

OK, yeah. I would prefer that to making no sales. Two of my four sales were through distributors.

4 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Basically, if your images are 'Exclusive to Alamy', they get 50%; if they're not, Alamy get 60%.  If the image is sold via a distributor (https://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.aspx#Distribution); you are left with only 30% (as you have detailed above). The table of commission fees is on the page I have linked. The table also lists the other possibilities (NU, video and affiliate sales).  No the discount has nothing to do with any deals that Alamy offers to customers - you wouldn't even know about that -  you'd just see lower gross rates (which might lead you to suspect that some kind of deal had been given). You might occasionally see 'iQ sale' mentioned in your sales reports, which is another deal system for returning or regular customers which Alamy set up a few years back.

You can opt in or out of selective or all worldwide territories where Alamy has distribution agreements with other agencies - but you can only opt out of all or any each April. So you've missed the boat this year.

On your 'dashboard' in AIM (Alamy Image Manager), open up the tab labelled 'Additional revenue options', click on the 'Distribution' option, then select the countries you wish. But as I say, you'll have to wait till next April now.  In any case, I have to say that you will find that Germany is one of those for which you are likely to receive the highest fees, so choose carefully!

That Terms and Conditions page is extremely helpful, especially #28 definitions. THANK YOU. I'm getting a better understanding and see the additional revenue options now. It's okay, I'd rather make sales then no sales. And since this is my highest selling gross sale on Alamy, maybe that's a good sign, especially if 30% was discounted? Maybe all is not lost. 🙂

25 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Aha! Thank you! Yes I am opted in and it explains that exact breakdown: Alamy 30% and Distributor Commission 40%. I hadn't seen all those boxes for different countries before.

OK, yeah. I would prefer that to making no sales. Two of my four sales were through distributors.

I'm opted in for the whole shebang except Novel Use. Distributor sales can be low, but they add up over time. I've had some $$$ ones (rare of course).

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Royalty-free. Usage: Educational Website. Editorial digital use. One time use only. $ 17.95. Sadly enough that is the second highest sale of my Alamy career.

Warning poster about the dangers of cannabis in metro station in Hong Kong Stock Photo

Hong Kong, February 2019

That's refreshing. Where I live, in newly legalized California, you'd think cannabis was the second coming of the Lord.

40 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

Royalty-free. Usage: Educational Website. Editorial digital use. One time use only. $ 17.95. Sadly enough that is the second highest sale of my Alamy career.

That's surprising. It appears to me that you have a very solid, sellable portfolio.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm opted in for the whole shebang except Novel Use. Distributor sales can be low, but they add up over time. I've had some $$$ ones (rare of course).

I’m out of Distribution and Novel Use

Usage: Commercial electronic, Websites, apps, social media & blogs. 5 years Worldwide (excl. advertising)
Media: Website, app and social media

$$

JY6N2N.jpg

iggy-pop-def-leppard-scorpions-rainbow-i

Usage: Marketing package - Large business, Use in marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising). This package is for marketing campaigns promoting businesses which have more than 10 employees.
Start: 14 May 2020
End: 14 May 2025

Low/Mid $$$

Edited by Abiyoyo