Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

7 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Good job Ed. Also, there's an article in today's Gurdian which might suggest some pic ideas...

Thanks, John -- I have Guardian UK and their USA editions bookmarked. Don't see any of my images in this story, Allan.

And thank you all for your well wishes. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Perhaps some of you younger lads and ladies might like a little advice for longevity. I have a few things to suggest.

1.) If you live in northern climes, get yourself a puffy coat. Have I mentioned my new puffy coat before? I bought it at M&S and call it Mr. Puff. There's no need for you to give your puffy a name. This coat keeps me warm but it's lightweight and not hot. And for a coat in Europe, it has a great zipper -- large, well-made, and easy to engage. Okay, it's a lefthanded zipper in a world where only 10% of the people are lefthanded but it's a good zipper. Also, the sleeves are a snug fit. The wind off the Mersey does not creep up my arms and chill my elbows. If you live in the tropics or south of it, don't spend any money on a puffy right now.

2.) If you smoke, stop.

3.) Don't accept any assignment as a combat photographer.

4.) Eat tasty healthy food.

5.) Don't get into arguments with people bigger than you.  

• Love 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Perhaps some of you younger lads and ladies might like a little advice for longevity. I have a few things to suggest.

1.) If you live in northern climes, get yourself a puffy coat. Have I mentioned my new puffy coat before? I bought it at M&S and call it Mr. Puff. There's no need for you to give your puffy a name. This coat keeps me warm but it's lightweight and not hot. And for a coat in Europe, it has a great zipper -- large, well-made, and easy to engage. Okay, it's a lefthanded zipper in a world where only 10% of the people are lefthanded but it's a good zipper. Also, the sleeves are a snug fit. The wind off the Mersey does not creep up my arms and chill my elbows. If you live in the tropics or south of it, don't spend any money on a puffy right now.

2.) If you smoke, stop.

3.) Don't accept any assignment as a combat photographer.

4.) Eat tasty healthy food.

5.) Don't get into arguments with people bigger than you.  

Congratulations, Edo. I well remember when I had more images than you. Then I slacked off; you kicked it into gear. Well done, friend.

I have a pink puffy coat. Well…a bit more of a flesh-colored. That flesh being a pinkish Caucasian during the dead of winter.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I can make any coat look puffy 😬

Fake puff? Do you use AI? I have a useful fishermen's raincoat I bought in Ireland. Perhaps that coat would be better if puffy. (By the way, it was made in China.) 

On 01/11/2023 at 03:58, Betty LaRue said:

We’ve had a couple of overnight hard freezes. Tonight the third.  My tomato plants are toast. Why in the Good Thing thread? Because I was tired of watering them. Everything has a season, & my tomatos’ season is done. So is the potted sweet peppers’.

They've done well to last this long !  I took out the last of ours a week ago, while all of the crop in my home garden was laid waste by blight earlier in the year.

The question now is, how can I overwinter my geranium (pelargonium) plants ? They are too big for our windowsills and, I've previously tried storing them dry in the garage, without success. If we have a mild winter they might survive in pots in the unheated greenhouse.  I guess I might try both approaches. 

Edited by Bryan

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Both pink and puffy? Oh my.

Soft, pale pink. I have always been a girly gal. At least while not running track, climbing trees, riding horses, skiing or playing golf. I did win a disco contest once, while dancing in my satin, chocolate-colored disco pants. The best of times. Shake your booty….💃🎶

Boy, does that tell my age. These days, I photograph, paint, read & grow tomatoes. And haunt the forum.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

They've done well to last this long !  I took out the last if ours a week ago, while all of the crop in my home garden was laid waste by blight earlier in the year.

The question now is, how can I overwinter my geranium (pelargonium) plants ? They are too big for our windowsills and, I've previously tried storing them dry in the garage, without success. If we have a mild winter they might survive in pots in the unheated greenhouse.  I guess I might try both approaches. 

Good luck with them. I gave up trying to overwinter years ago. I cry less because of it. Psst. You might try finding a small stand to sit them on in the corner of a room. I’ve kept two plants alive doing that.
I lied about giving up. Never trust what I say.

• Like 2

The Texas Rangers won the 2023 World Series last night. Yippie! They are a team I follow . . . after the NY Yankees and the Mets. In 4th place, I cheer for The Philadelphia Phillies.  I lived a short walk from the Texas stadium in Arlington.

Long ago, we had some amazing superstars -- Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Bob Feller, and others. But the average player is far far better now. Every morning, I watch highlights of a game after breakfast. Fantastic defensive plays are a daily event. And the pitching? 100 mph is the common fastball now.

Good going, Rangers!

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Okay, it's a lefthanded zipper

It's possible it may be intended to be a ladies' coat, Ed- their blouse and jacket buttons do up the wrong opposite way as well, right over left instead of left over right. I have a couple of hand-me-down ones so ambidexterity isn't difficult.

Edited by spacecadet