Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

10 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Where are you staying Bryan?

I had to look it up, somewhere in Pembrokeshire apparently, and would need to dig deeper to find out where ! To be honest  I have no idea where Pembrokeshire is, but I need to find out !

47 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I had to look it up, somewhere in Pembrokeshire apparently, and would need to dig deeper to find out where ! To be honest  I have no idea where Pembrokeshire is, but I need to find out !

Sounds like it might be Bluestone. It’s a nice place. Like you said a long drive but, if you haven’t been there before, I’d be surprised if you didn’t think it was worth it. The area is lovely. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NYCat said:

Lovely. New York City is like that. Maybe the best thing about living here. No kangaroos though.

Paulette

Following on nationalities diversity, today I discovered that my audiologist was from Chile and that I had climbed the volcanoe near her small hometown. How the world has shrunk! And a good thing it is in my opinion. It gives an insight on how things are different in various countries. Very interesting conversation it was. 

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Following on nationalities diversity, today I discovered that my audiologist was from Chile and that I had climbed the volcanoe near her small hometown. How the world has shrunk! And a good thing it is in my opinion. It gives an insight on how things are different in various countries. Very interesting conversation it was. 

I traveled quite a bit in my prime and I love encountering people from faraway lands and putting a smile on their face when I can say that I have been to their homeland.  My parents always said that one of the best educations one can get is to travel and learn about the world and different cultures.  It gives you some perspective and understanding of the similarities and differences we all have.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I traveled quite a bit in my prime and I love encountering people from faraway lands and putting a smile on their face when I can say that I have been to their homeland.  My parents always said that one of the best educations one can get is to travel and learn about the world and different cultures.  It gives you some perspective and understanding of the similarities and differences we all have.

So very true. I’m not sure if some people are narrow minded because they haven’t traveled much, or if they don’t travel partly because they are narrow minded. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

So very true. I’m not sure if some people are narrow minded because they haven’t traveled much, or if they don’t travel partly because they are narrow minded. 

Funny enough, I have a brother who has chosen to not travel much out of the U.S. and Cananda as he actually has a fear of having to deal with other cultures and and customs.  He is a picky eater and I think it scares him to have to try new things.  His wife is from Brazil (a Brazilian with European/Brazilian parents) and she has always wanted to travel more but hasn't.  They once took their kids to Brazil to see more of her family and he said, never again.  He complained about everything, when they got back.

14 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Funny enough, I have a brother who has chosen to not travel much out of the U.S. and Cananda as he actually has a fear of having to deal with other cultures and and customs.  He is a picky eater and I think it scares him to have to try new things.  His wife is from Brazil (a Brazilian with European/Brazilian parents) and she has always wanted to travel more but hasn't.  They once took their kids to Brazil to see more of her family and he said, never again.  He complained about everything, when they got back.

I think it's expectations and mind set plus exposure.   People who grow up in small towns either never leave or go and keep traveling. 

Some of it may be that he dominates his wife  and when they were in Brazil, she knew more about what was going on than he did.  Women tend to be more flexible about accepting different customs. Raising children is like starting from the prehuman and moving through the Paleolithic to the present, so women are familiar with aliens.  Many of the long term resident foreigners where I live are older women.   We find that we've become part Nicaraguan.

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Some years ago a populist politician here described feeling "uncomfortable" when he heard a foreign language being spoken. Described like that it sounds almost like mental illness. You're not like that so it doesn't sound like something caused by a bad experience in childhood. I don't envy his wife and children.

Over the last few years there have been times when we'd rather have been almost anywhere else but England, which is why travelling abroad again this summer after 3+ years has occasionally been a bit emotional.

Edited by spacecadet

22 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Sounds like it might be Bluestone. It’s a nice place. Like you said a long drive but, if you haven’t been there before, I’d be surprised if you didn’t think it was worth it. The area is lovely. 

Yes thanks Steve it is Bluestone. Not sure that I'll have many stock shooting opportunities with the family around, but there is life beyond photography !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Over the last few years there have been times when we'd rather have been almost anywhere else but England, which is why travelling abroad again this summer after 3+ years has occasionally been a bit emotional.

Yes we also ventured back into Europe for the first time this year, but getting longer in the tooth, rather than drive we took a coach trip.  It went well, and we've have booked for another this coming year. 

Our driver warned against Dover, but Hull Rotterdam was problem free.

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yes thanks Steve it is Bluestone. Not sure that I'll have many stock shooting opportunities with the family around, but there is life beyond photography !

Sounds like the sort of holiday we would gnaw off each other's legs to avoid, but it takes all sorts, and you did say it was your last choice! At least with the other places you had a chance with the local language............

8 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yes we also ventured back into Europe for the first time this year, but getting longer in the tooth, rather than drive we took a coach trip.  It went well, and we've have booked for another this coming year. 

Our driver warned against Dover, but Hull Rotterdam was problem free.

Dover is fine in September, the recommendation of 2 hours checkin really isn't necessary (we got onto an earlier crossing to compensate), but the utter futility of two sets of immigration and customs checks is hard to take. French customs is by far the more reasonable, although the UK customs staff at Dunkerque are French so at least they appreciate the dimness of it. The process is the whole foot-shooting brainlessness of Project Stupid in microcosm.

And nobody in the EU cared about our GB sticker, or my paper licence.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have a son who is similar, but for the sake of family harmony, he traveled to Spain and France last year. He was very uncomfortable the whole time, but made the best of it for his wife and kids.

I’ve actually traveled to within site of the great state of Maryland. Wish me luck. I’ll be venturing into DC the next couple of days. Puffy coats not quite needed during the daytime. 

13 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I have a son who is similar, but for the sake of family harmony, he traveled to Spain and France last year. He was very uncomfortable the whole time, but made the best of it for his wife and kids.

I’ve actually traveled to within site of the great state of Maryland. Wish me luck. I’ll be venturing into DC the next couple of days. Puffy coats not quite needed during the daytime. 

I think you hitting DC at a perfect time.  Great weather now, although this weekend is supposed to be rainy.

• Like 1

Went to my landlord's family coffee shop.  A young Nicaraguan photographer and his model had taken over one of the tables and were shooting with LED lights, battery operated.  Didn't get a close look, but they were throwing out considerable light.   He was doing more set ups than I usually do.   Kinda fun watching him.   He had been hired to get more publicity for the shop.   I had my usual small pesto sandwich on whole wheat bread, a single espresso, and a bottled water.  The place isn't particularly cheap, so it's a cross section of better off people in Jinotega.  

As I watched the photographer working, I thought that I may not work scenes long enough or do that many diverse things with my props compared to this Nicaraguan pro. 

It is lovely to have a good coffee shop so close to where I live. 

My older of the two younger brothers will be visiting in November, so this will be one of the places I introduce him to.   We've got a date night without alcohol Taqueria la Diabla on the next block north, and a El Salvadorean pupusa place another block and a half from there.  In town, there's an Italian restaurant and a Cuban restaurant, plus some others that I'm not as familiar with or which have gone down hill since I first ate at them.

Pleasant day.   I also bought some chemistry for cleaning my washing machine and looked at various air-fryers/convection ovens at the same store.

Edited by Rebecca Ore
spelling
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Pleasant day.   I also bought some chemistry for cleaning my washing machine and looked at various air-fryers/convection ovens at the same store.

We are currently in a state of disagreement at Chez Bryan re the purchase of an air fryer. I want one but she correctly points out that the kitchen is too small to accommodate another gadget. Also we have a gas cooker and, polluting though it may be, it's currently a good deal cheaper to run than an electric oven.  However we cook in olive oil and it's not cheap, I suspect that the savings in oil and less oiliness in the food might make an air fryer worthwhile. Jury still out.

But moving on, now that winter is around the corner we are allowed to light fires on our allotments. It seems crazy that we can only burn stuff when everything is damp ! However yesterday I successfully got a fire going and burnt all of the autumn prunings, while last night it poured down.  A success. 

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

We are currently in a state of disagreement at Chez Bryan re the purchase of an air fryer. I want one but she correctly points out that the kitchen is too small to accommodate another gadget. Also we have a gas cooker and, polluting though it may be, it's currently a good deal cheaper to run than an electric oven.  However we cook in olive oil and it's not cheap, I suspect that the savings in oil and less oiliness in the food might make an air fryer worthwhile. Jury still out.

But moving on, now that winter is around the corner we are allowed to light fires on our allotments. It seems crazy that we can only burn stuff when everything is damp ! However yesterday I successfully got a fire going and burnt all of the autumn prunings, while last night it poured down.  A success. 

I love my air fryer. In the summer, when I don’t care to preheat my gas oven, I can crisp up leftovers, cook chicken wings or thighs in it. It’s great for fries (chips), have done beef burgers, pork chops, and bacon. I’ve cooked veggies & all sorts of food. Of course, many things like roasts, pies & cakes, I use my gas oven. I gave up frying bacon on the stovetop a long time ago & began doing it in my oven. Now, I can do it much faster in the air fryer.

I haven’t tried what is traditionally boiled eggs in it, but my daughter recently told me it can be done in the air fryer which surprised me!

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

We have had a Ninja Air Fryer for less than a year now and it's in weekly use. It doesn't suit everything but when used it's faster and cheaper than the electric oven. Even I picked up how simple it is to operate. Now I wonder why we didn't obtain one earlier. We have a small kitchen too, but simply set it up to one side of the kettle. After I wash up the pull out compartment and its inner I put it away to make space.

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I love my air fryer. In the summer, when I don’t care to preheat my gas oven, I can crisp up leftovers, cook chicken wings or thighs in it. It’s great for fries (chips), have done beef burgers, pork chops, and bacon. I’ve cooked veggies & all sorts of food. Of course, many things like roasts, pies & cakes, I use my gas oven. I gave up frying bacon on the stovetop a long time ago & began doing it in my oven. Now, I can do it much faster in the air fryer.

I haven’t tried what is traditionally boiled eggs in it, but my daughter recently told me it can be done in the air fryer which surprised me!

I second Betty's love for the air fryer! I use mine almost every day.  And list the of things I make in it just keeps growing.  I have done "hard boiled eggs", and they turned out great.  I do think it is the best new kitchen gadget to come along in ages.  I hate using my oven (cooker) and try to use it as little as possible, it uses more energy (mine is electric) and it heats the kitchen too much in the warm months.  Virtually no heat comes off my air fryer and super easy to clean up after use.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

If you are concerned about pollution you probably know what I'm about to say. Particulate pollution from fires, particularly wet wood, is far worse that almost anything else In fact with the recent ban on the sale of non-seasoned wood for stoves, you may be one of the few people who can legally burn it. There may come a time when you have to think about whether you should.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I second Betty's love for the air fryer! I use mine almost every day.  And list the of things I make in it just keeps growing.  I have done "hard boiled eggs", and they turned out great.  I do think it is the best new kitchen gadget to come along in ages.  I hate using my oven (cooker) and try to use it as little as possible, it uses more energy (mine is electric) and it heats the kitchen too much in the warm months.  Virtually no heat comes off my air fryer and super easy to clean up after use.

Yes, in the time it takes to preheat my regular oven up to temp, I can cook most things to done in the air fryer.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic