Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Until I arrived in Liverpool, I had a suitable basic wardrobe for a reluctant nomad. Then I started irrational shopping. Zara has a lot of my business. They sell simple basic styles at affordable prices and good quality. Lately, I've been donating stuff to one of the charity shops. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

My cat and the two freeloaders will eat Gati, a cheaper dried cat food than Purina, Felix, or Whiskrs.  I tried with a half-pound from a convenience store across the street out of their open bag.  Bought two pounds today, and can buy small bags at a small grocery store a few blocks away.  

Did a shoot last week of a doctor's office group and individual headshots and when I got paid today, the doctor who owns the practice added $400 to the invoice as a thank you!!  Mind you, it was a 7:30 in the morning and I had to get a group shot and 8 individual headshots done fast so they could be ready for their first patients at 9am.  I guess she was pleased how things turned out!  Made my day!

• Love 2
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Did a shoot last week of a doctor's office group and individual headshots and when I got paid today, the doctor who owns the practice added $400 to the invoice as a thank you!!  Mind you, it was a 7:30 in the morning and I had to get a group shot and 8 individual headshots done fast so they could be ready for their first patients at 9am.  I guess she was pleased how things turned out!  Made my day!

It’s always wonderful to be appreciated for a job well done!

I worked for a doctor for 10 years. Salaried, not by the hour. I came to work 20 minutes early every day so I could replenish supplies & be sure the exam rooms were sparkling clean. No instructions to do that, I just did it because of my own standards.
When all of the other women walked out at 5pm, I stayed because I was the one who put the patients in the exam rooms & screened them. We always ran late. All of a sudden I not only had that duty, but I also had to answer phones & take payment so I was doing the front office jobs. Doing what normally 3 people did. Very stressful. Sometimes it would be 6 or 7pm before I went home to cook for a husband & 3 teens. I never got a thanks.

I eventually went to half days because my arthritis got so bad that by noon my knees were swollen & painful, although I was still young. I was paid hourly from then on.
Although patients were still in the office after everyone left for lunch, it was me again, working it all alone, not getting off at noon. At that time I went to half days, I asked the doctor if I still had benefits of paid vacation & sick leave. I asked him several times over many months. His answer…”I don’t know, I need to check with other doctors & see what they do.” I didn’t care if I lost benefits, I was so grateful to work half days. I just wanted to know where I stood, so I could know my income or whether I could afford to take vacations.  He never got back to me.

Fast forward. I got pneumonia & was hospitalized for a week. Payday came, & the office manager who only wrote checks & kept books but didn’t work in the office came to see me in the hospital. She informed me the doctor said I didn’t get sick pay or any other benefits.

I can’t tell you how that made me feel. To have him send a lackey to the hospital while I was so very ill & on oxygen to tell me. No guts from the doctor to tell me to my face all of the times I’d asked.

I felt so devastated. It felt a bit like the doctor had slipped a knife between my ribs. When she left, I started sobbing. I felt so unappreciated & hurt at how it was done, while I was at such a low point.
One of the women who worked with me stopped in to see me on her lunch hour right after the office manager left & caught me crying. She was completely outraged when I told her what happened. She stomped out & spread the word to the other gals at work, & they made the doctor’s life miserable from that moment on.

When I got out of the hospital I immediately went back to work although I was still weak & ill, but not contagious. I needed the pay. Soon as I walked through the door, the doctor informed me I would get paid sick leave. I imagine he thought it was all about the money, which wasn’t the point. He gave in not because he appreciated all those years of my going above & beyond, but because he didn’t want to get burned at the stake! 😄

Everyone needs a pat on the back when it’s deserved.

• Love 3

Oh my goodness, Betty. That was awful. I wound up doing the work of three people at the Bank of America when I took a file clerk job between skipping semesters of college. By the way, I was openly paid less than the men and when I questioned that they said "But they would have to pay if you went out with them." Of course, I was going out with students and usually paid because I was the one with the job. Anyway, I am wandering off the subject. I had learned a lot of the jobs because I was bored with just doing my own and it paid off because I was able to be the summer replacement for those jobs and I had a summer job without having to search for one as I finished college. Sometimes people notice extra effort, thank heavens.

Paulette

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Betty.  People (businesses) often overlook the greatest asset they may have, the people who make that business worthwhile to come back to.  I had good role models, both of my parents had great work ethics and I really admired that! I always aim to be early for my shoots and stay as long as it takes to get the job done, all while keeping good attitude.  I am amazed when I hear people complain about the last photographer they worked with, being rude and difficult to work with. 

I photograph a lot doctors and lawyers and many suffer from "God Complex", where they feel their worth to the world is far superior then the people around them, including the ones who help make them look good....not just in photos but all the support staff, who are often overworked and underpaid.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sorry to hear that Betty.  People (businesses) often overlook the greatest asset they may have, the people who make that business worthwhile to come back to.  I had good role models, both of my parents had great work ethics and I really admired that! I always aim to be early for my shoots and stay as long as it takes to get the job done, all while keeping good attitude.  I am amazed when I hear people complain about the last photographer they worked with, being rude and difficult to work with. 

I photograph a lot doctors and lawyers and many suffer from "God Complex", where they feel their worth to the world is far superior then the people around them, including the ones who help make them look good....not just in photos but all the support staff, who are often overworked and underpaid.

So true about work ethics. My son always wanted to earn money. He went to work in the meat market of a food store a few blocks from where we lived when he was 16. One day he told me the guys were getting together & going to the lake on Saturday. He would call in sick & go with them.

I told him NO he wasn’t going to do that! That when you take on a job, you are responsible to it. You don’t lie, you go to work & be faithful & do the best you can. It’s the adult way & he needed to learn that for his future. He wasn’t happy with me but went to work. He never tried that again & grew up with a strong work ethic. Both his dad & I went to work every day, & seldom took off for anything. Funerals & such.
One desk job I had for 5 years (insurance clerk, workman’s comp) I grew to hate the boredom of it. I liked my boss & co-workers…just hated sitting at a desk. Toward the end I’d tell myself I’d call in sick the next day & take the day to relax. Then the next morning, I’d go to work & tell myself I’d take the next day off. That’s how I got through it. I never called in sick & cheated. I finally took a couple of days of vacation & put in applications for jobs at doctors’ offices all over town & got one. I took a huge pay cut to do it, but I loved working with people, & I loved medicine. I only quit because hubs got transferred with his job & we moved. Even then, I drove back 100 miles & subbed several times when some of the gals took vacation at the doctor’s, staying with my mom for a week. That’s how much I loved it.
I would have loved to have been a doctor.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

Just heading out to make the most of the good weather before the storm hits us. First port of call the local Shed24 for a late breakfast then a tour of local villages. Waterproofs in the car boot.

Walking or motoring?

Allan

Garden job

Today I started on the task of cleaning my large collection of flower pots and trays etc before laying things up for winter. Experience has taught me that it's a job best done before the weather turns too cold. You might argue that common sense should have kicked in first !   

For those not well versed in the procedures involved, this is what I do ;-

1) Use a stiff brush to remove any loose compost.

2) Half fill a large plastic garden trug with water and add some washing up liquid. Thoroughly clean the  articles using a discarded washing up brush.

3) Fill a bucket with clean water and add a few tablespoons of disinfectant.  Immerse the cleaned items in that 

4) Put aside to dry

5) Neatly stack in the greenhouse.

There are still some pots left to deal with as I still have a cucumber and some pepper plants growing, but the job is largely done. 

There remains the task of washing the interior of the greenhouse and spraying with disinfectant.

Oh, and then there is the stuff at the allotment to deal with

• Like 1

My daughter had neck surgery this morning. The injury, a rupture disc putting disc material on her root nerve was from an auto accident 21 months ago. It caused weakness & pain in her arms.

The surgery went well & I’m just now back home. I’ve got their dog for the day & Cara was happy to see me home to let her out to do her business.

The doctor, well sought after with an excellent surgical reputation, is sending at least one child to college on the proceeds from my back surgery & my daughter’s back & now neck surgery. All in under the last two years.

And I told him today he’d probably be seeing me again before long since I had a new problem causing pain & left leg weakness, just since about 5 weeks ago. He’s a very sweet, concerned doctor but I might have seen a gleam in his eyes. I know I saw him rubbing his hands together. (Kidding)

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You oughta try painting your toenails and see what happens to your back. Yes…you could put happy faces on your toenails to cheer you when you rise in the morning. 😉

I try not to look at my feet a lot. 🤔

Just received some very good news. Our youngest granddaughter was born deaf, but she has recently had implants fitted and today they connected up one side to the microphone like gadget that converts sound waves to magnetic pulses that are then transferred to the implant and hence to the brain. Early indications - we've seen a video - suggest that it has worked as she appears to be responding to sound stimuli.   The wonders of science, not to mention the NHS and WhatsApp.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

The tile floor was removed from my shower today and the plumbers determined that they need to replace the lead pan. Mind you, they just installed it two years ago. So they will be here tomorrow to do the work but they won't test it until Monday. If it is OK the contractor will be able to put the tile floor in again. So the good news in all this is that (except for the few hours tomorrow) I will have access to my very own toilet all weekend and the even better news is that my nice neighbor across the hall will be away Sunday morning through Wednesday so I will have her shower. This weekend I will shower at a cat-sitting job. 

Paulette

• Like 1

I have utterly been there with employers and am now retired for 12 years. I'm pleased I have recently rewritten for me the witches' message: "Love n do what thou wilt" to:  "Love (starting with oneself), Want (What do we want to do next, a large or small goal), Do (Do whatever love or passion or our calling in life requires, implicitly not following the herd). As a gay man I learnt early in the 70's that it was authorities, states, laws, religions and media who were crazy bigots and I was fine. Then it was a tough road to follow, alone and not feeling able to come out to anyone. When I was 20 I wanted to kill myself. I'm happy I didn't. 

• Love 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I try not to look at my feet a lot. 🤔

I’ve been staring at my feet since yesterday, Ed. I got my first ever pedicure yesterday along with my daughter before her surgery. My toenails are painting a lovely vivid purple with sparkles in the polish. My choice must come from my artistic side. One is never too old to do something outside of the “normal” box.

I know other women get their hair cut & colored at the beauty shops. They get mani/pedis.

I think I have too much of my mother in me. She lived as a young child through the depression & learned to be frugal from necessity, so I grew up thinking that way.

I would imagine I could finance a two-week vacation in St. Croix again with what I’ve saved during my lifetime by cutting my own hair, doing my own nails. Maybe several of them. Somewhere in the vicinity of $800-1000 a year would do many trips. Instead, I put it toward raising children, letting them do the extra things I never got to do growing up. Like joining Boy & Girl Scouts & having the money for dues & uniforms. Things like that. Going on school class trips & church ski trips.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, sooth said:

heavy rains forecast for tomorrow. 2 inch possible. up to 5+ in outlying areas possible. near shore, higher tides due to full moon 

Thanks. I will have to go out late in the day to give some cats their dinner but I can be in during the morning and my neighbor across the hall told me when she would be leaving for the day so I'll have the use of her bathroom while the workmen are here. 

Paulette

11 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

I have utterly been there with employers and am now retired for 12 years. I'm pleased I have recently rewritten for me the witches' message: "Love n do what thou wilt" to:  "Love (starting with oneself), Want (What do we want to do next, a large or small goal), Do (Do whatever love or passion or our calling in life requires, implicitly not following the herd). As a gay man I learnt early in the 70's that it was authorities, states, laws, religions and media who were crazy bigots and I was fine. Then it was a tough road to follow, alone and not feeling able to come out to anyone. When I was 20 I wanted to kill myself. I'm happy I didn't. 

Too much of a post to mark with a green arrow or whatever. Glad you hung in there!

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been staring at my feet since yesterday, Ed. I got my first ever pedicure yesterday along with my daughter before her surgery. My toenails are painting a lovely vivid purple with sparkles in the polish. My choice must come from my artistic side. One is never too old to do something outside of the “normal” box.

I know other women get their hair cut & colored at the beauty shops. They get mani/pedis.

I think I have too much of my mother in me. She lived as a young child through the depression & learned to be frugal from necessity, so I grew up thinking that way.

I would imagine I could finance a two-week vacation in St. Croix again with what I’ve saved during my lifetime by cutting my own hair, doing my own nails. Maybe several of them. Somewhere in the vicinity of $800-1000 a year would do many trips. Instead, I put it toward raising children, letting them do the extra things I never got to do growing up. Like joining Boy & Girl Scouts & having the money for dues & uniforms. Things like that. Going on school class trips & church ski trips.

I was thinking of you today, Betty, and your difficulty with accents. My super from Sarajevo was talking to the plumber from Santo Domingo. The super has excellent English and his accent is good but I struggled with the guy from Santo Domingo. He and his helper put in the lead pan today and the contractor called me wanting to start with the tiles but something with the lead pan has to dry and the plumber doesn't send people on the weekend so we are stalled until Monday when they will test the lead pan. I am happy, happy to say I can use my very own toilet until then and after then my neighbor will be away and I'll have access to her place. Today I used her bathroom a couple of times but she wasn't away...just out for work so her dog was there. Boy was he happy to see me. Unfortunately he is one who jumps on people and whines and barks with joy. Absolutely sweet but a bit of an ordeal getting him to calm down when I was there.

Paulette

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic