Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

So stuck at home with Covid I have discovered the three part series "Wayfaring Stranger with Phil Cunningham" on BBC iplayer.  It charts the evolution of the folk song tradition from Scotland to Ireland and on to the USA.   I love this music and here it is beautifully presented, highly recommended. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08lnlhz/wayfaring-stranger-with-phil-cunningham-series-1-episode-1

A further great thing, due to having Covid I can't go shopping and have to endure that musical diarrhoea that they play over the Xmas period, I could live happily with Xmas carols etc, or silence,  but muzak style festive stuff I detest.

Sounds like you might have a holly jolly Christmas after all. Perhaps you'll even feel like jingling your bells and dancing around the Christmas tree. 🎄

• Love 1

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sounds like you might have a holly jolly Christmas after all. Perhaps you'll even feel like jingling your bells and dancing around the Christmas tree. 🎄

Bah humbug ! 😁

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

On 25/11/2022 at 22:25, Michael Ventura said:

Had such a nice Thanksgiving visit with my sister and her husband. They now live along the Atlantic coast of Maryland but had been living in England, for the past year, in Milford on Sea, so it had been a year and a half since I last saw her!  I took my son with me but my daughter had to work at the hospital, so she couldn’t join us.  On the way home, I also visited with a retired art director with whom I have worked for more than 30 years while she was at various magazines.  She and her husband are now very content artists who’s paintings are selling well to the wealthy tourists and home owners who visit or live in that area of the Eastern Shore.  All in all, just a lovely couple days!  More please!

Here's another good thing for you Michael, I spotted one of your pics in The Times yesterday, it won't make you rich, but every little is supposed to help !

Picture of a car vending machine, something of an alien concept here in the UK !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

After 4 months in an AirBnB frantically searching for my own home having returned to the UK from 22 years abroad, I finally struck gold and yesterday agreed to purchase a lovely cottage style mews house. Within the next few weeks I'll be taking possession and arranging for my computer and photographic equipment to be moved from storage and I'll be back in the frame again after a nigh on 1 year absence. I can't put into words the relief, excitement and sheer peace of mind I'm now experiencing.

Christmas came early for me.

Wow that's fantastic news and welcome back to this crazy and getting crazier country😁  I hope your move goes well, whereabouts in the UK are you going to be?  

Carol

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ReeRay said:

After 4 months in an AirBnB frantically searching for my own home having returned to the UK from 22 years abroad, I finally struck gold and yesterday agreed to purchase a lovely cottage style mews house. Within the next few weeks I'll be taking possession and arranging for my computer and photographic equipment to be moved from storage and I'll be back in the frame again after a nigh on 1 year absence. I can't put into words the relief, excitement and sheer peace of mind I'm now experiencing.

Christmas came early for me.

I know how you feel. I was about a year in limbo when trying to move house during the Pandemic.

Hope all is well for you now.

Allan

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that's fantastic news and welcome back to this crazy and getting crazier country😁  I hope your move goes well, whereabouts in the UK are you going to be?  

Carol

Thanks - Stratford upon Avon Warwickshire

Woke up earlier today and there was a wonderful hoar frost in the garden. Not so nice for the birds though. Just thrown some bread on the shed roof and sunflower seeds plus fat balls on the bird table. Did think of shooting some macro shots in the garden but no time, have to catch a train soon. Am a little behind as I just acquired an immaculate Nikon D500 and I have been changing settings and familiarising myself with it. Will use it today with my 10-24mm lens as I will want to get up close.

• Love 2

I think I’m getting better. I had a “no coughing” night & finally got some good sleep, but I made up for it upon rising. Still…I think this round of meds is helping.

What’s bad is I’ve missed out of driving around looking at Christmas lights with my family, and going to church for the choral Christmas program with them. While I don’t think I’m contagious anymore, anyone near me who sees/hears me cough would be appalled. I always think of my impression on other folks and would rather not stress them.

We’ve had a few foggy mornings, with freezing fog. I love love fog. Something so mysterious, so atmospheric about it and it suits my imagination. If I were better, I would have loved taking a walk in it and finding my hair a curly mess when I got home.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

My Christmas orchids are blooming (Laelia rubescens).   One was a gift from a friend several years ago; the other was part of a Christmas wreath in April that I bought cheap from a plant seller.  Two orchids on the wreath survived.   My little Epidendrum blooms haven't completely faded yet and the other rescue orchid from the wreath is blooming from a division, but the blooms aren't as pretty as the Laelia.

• Love 1

I’ve had a big excavation on one side of my house since mid-October, when a line in my sprinkler system broke. Around here the companies that do that work are extremely busy in late fall blowing out peoples’ systems to winterize. So I had to wait for repairs. Finally got it done to the tune of $700 today. But I’m happy to finally not have it hanging over my head.

Now a root canal on Wednesday.  The $$$ are flying out of my pockets. Good things/bad things.

The guys repairing today just did beat the rain. I walked out to look at the finished job, and the first big raindrop splatted on my face.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had a big excavation on one side of my house since mid-October, when a line in my sprinkler system broke. Around here the companies that do that work are extremely busy in late fall blowing out peoples’ systems to winterize. So I had to wait for repairs. Finally got it done to the tune of $700 today. But I’m happy to finally not have it hanging over my head.

Now a root canal on Wednesday.  The $$$ are flying out of my pockets. Good things/bad things.

The guys repairing today just did beat the rain. I walked out to look at the finished job, and the first big raindrop splatted on my face.

How you feeling now?

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

How you feeling now?

Allan

Still not well, Allan. I have to sleep propped up to breathe/not cough. Yet if I think about it, I’m better than I was a week ago. My son was shocked at the dark circles under my eyes.

have to get better/well by December 29 when my daughter has back surgery. I want to be there for her, like she was for me with mine.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Still not well, Allan. I have to sleep propped up to breathe/not cough. Yet if I think about it, I’m better than I was a week ago. My son was shocked at the dark circles under my eyes.

have to get better/well by December 29 when my daughter has back surgery. I want to be there for her, like she was for me with mine.

Hope you make it to be with your daughter.🤞

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hope you make it to be with your daughter.🤞

Allan

Thank you. She sat with me, prayed over me when I was out of my mind in pain, took me to doctor visits after I finally came home. All this while being in pain herself from an auto accident, which by the way, is why she has to have back surgery followed by neck surgery. And she has driven me to see my doctor twice with this recent illness because I was too weak to walk in from the parking lot if I had driven myself. I never have to ask…she just intuits what I need.

The one thing I’ve always known is that I am very lucky to have the family I have. My son moved in with me and took care of me for 2 months when I came home from rehab. My other daughter came up from Oklahoma and stayed 2-3 days at a time, several times, rubbing pain reliever creams into the areas of nerve pain that had me writhing. All of them either cooked or made trips to buy food that might spark my bird-like appetite. And they took care of Echo!

I am in good hands. And I want my hands to be good for them.

• Love 3

Couldn't get out during November, but managed to get out for a morning fly fishing for trout today. A covering of snow on the ground, cold but sunny. Enjoyed seeing a beautiful kingfisher flying around.

Four 4lb + fish delivered to my local fishmonger: two for hot smoking as whole fillets and two for cold smoking and slicing. He vacuum packs them ready for the freezer.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.
  • Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 21:51, Bryan said:

Here's another good thing for you Michael, I spotted one of your pics in The Times yesterday, it won't make you rich, but every little is supposed to help !

Picture of a car vending machine, something of an alien concept here in the UK !

Thanks Bryan, somehow I missed this post...much appreciated.  Just drove by that car vending machine yesterday and it was completely empty and lights off.  Either they did very well or they are closing up shop!  My guess is the second one.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Bryan, somehow I missed this post...much appreciated.  Just drove by that car vending machine yesterday and it was completely empty and lights off.  Either they did very well or they are closing up shop!  My guess is the second one.

THAT is a new one. Buying a car from a vending machine.🤪

Allan

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just drove by that car vending machine yesterday and it was completely empty and lights off. 

Maybe somebody thumped it (with a car?) because the green ones had run out and they couldn't get their £50,000 coin back.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic