Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Interesting that your had such short dates.

I haven't ordered tests since July, but then they were coming from the same batches that were being issued in spring 2021, and are dated late 23/early 24.

Ours were free without restriction until April this year, and even then, ending free testing abruptly was considered short-sighted by many. Vaccination volunteers can still get them.

We still take the odd test if feeling a bit iffy, but I certainly wouldn't be paying for them. I was the family supplier for quite a while, we used to hand them out at dinner parties. We considered it rather important not to give coronavirus to the daughter pregnant with twins, but then she got it anyway (all was well).

Our FDA says some of what I have has a shelf life of 15 months and some 18 months.

Paulette

I'm gonna post this here as good news and hope it doesn't turn out to be bad news. I will buy myself a smart TV for Christmas. Merry Christmas, Edo!

I know. To most of you, buying a TV is not news; you all own one and have owned  one since they replaced radios. I remember getting our first TV in Brooklyn to watch the Joe Louis - Billy Conn fight. But I've not had a TV since I've been in Liverpool. I might go out to John Lewis tonight and order one. Oh boy, this is . . . semi-exciting. 

• Love 5

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm gonna post this here as good news and hope it doesn't turn out to be bad news. I will buy myself a smart TV for Christmas. Merry Christmas, Edo!

I know. To most of you, buying a TV is not news; you all own one and have owned  one since they replaced radios. I remember getting our first TV in Brooklyn to watch the Joe Louis - Billy Conn fight. But I've not had a TV since I've been in Liverpool. I might go out to John Lewis tonight and order one. Oh boy, this is . . . semi-exciting. 

Enjoy Edo, you'll never need to leave the house again 😉

I haven't had a tv since I'm back in the UK. On the shopping list at some point....

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo, You are more "advanced" than me, since 2016 I have not had a TV. Yours is a "good news" ;)

Merry Christmas, Edo! (and fellow photographers) 

andre

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm back from being treated for pneumonia at the Nicaraguan free hospital in town.   I was tested for Covid, but don't have it.  Real nice to be home.  My helper fumigated the house for bedbugs while I was getting my 2 liters of oxygen an hour plus Cortisone and antibiotics intravenously plusthree meals a day of black rice and beans, local cheese, and such.   I have had more chaya (local vegetable) than I'd had before in my life.  And no cows milk in what was mostly a Spanish/Indigenous/African mestizo ward.   Very interesting place, but could only take photos with my phone. 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Steve. I just bought the smallest smart TV, a 24" Samsung at John Lewis. Just £169.00. I'll pick it up on Friday. Then I have to sort out the licence. 😃

Good to hear Edo, enjoy !

We were gifted a used smart TV by our elder son, but I can't get it to work !  There are no instructions and I haven't been able to download anything useful. I suspect we'll have to get our grandson to come and sort it out, it was his. Meanwhile we have a working semi intelligent TV attached to a box that can record things. This is good as we can speed through the adverts at lightning pace. There are  some rumblings of discontent re the picture quality, but I live in fear of having to buy a replacement system. These things are just way too complex ..........

When we were first married we had no TV, then a small black and white set that lived in the bedroom. I recall watching Starsky and Hutch while eating a takeaway curry in bed.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I will jinx it by saying so but I am still using an old Zenith. They had a reputation for living forever and mine is doing it. I rather dread having to learn a smart TV.

Paulette

50 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm afraid I will jinx it by saying so but I am still using an old Zenith. They had a reputation for living forever and mine is doing it. I rather dread having to learn a smart TV.

Paulette

You are right about Zenith tvs. We had one forever, and the color rendition was better & truer than other brands. I’ve had a smart tv for 7 or 8 years now. I wanted one because watching football on a large screen was a better experience. I have a 55” downstairs (the original first one) for guests and a 60” upstairs, (purchased 2 years ago) the one I watch.

Bryan, not sure but I think a smart tv has to have access to your provider through WiFi but since I’m not technical, don’t quote me. My son-in-law has done all of the technical stuff for me. If all you have is an antenna for your old tv, you won’t get all of the “smart” benefits of a smart tv.

I know I have a TV package (I can choose between lesser or better packages) with my provider that gives me all of the sports channels, all of the local ones, and many, many more like movie channels. That is separate from the Internet which I have for my computer, iPad, phone. I get it all through one provider. The cost is continually going up it seems and about to price me out.

• Love 1

Wow! I'm gobsmacked! I just received an e-mail from a film agent. They've seen my Australian wildlife pictures on Alamy they said and want me to accompany a film crew for a program on Japanese prime time TV!

They want me to help them find animals in the wild. Yeah right, just on cue over 3 days filming, the size of Australia... Even David Attenborough used animals from wildlife centres released into the wild for his filming. 

But wow.... 

• Love 5
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Bryan, not sure but I think a smart tv has to have access to your provider through WiFi but since I’m not technical, don’t quote me. My son-in-law has done all of the technical stuff for me. If all you have is an antenna for your old tv, you won’t get all of the “smart” benefits of a smart tv.

I know I have a TV package (I can choose between lesser or better packages) with my provider that gives me all of the sports channels, all of the local ones, and many, many more like movie channels. That is separate from the Internet which I have for my computer, iPad, phone. I get it all through one provider. The cost is continually going up it seems and about to price me out.

Thanks Betty.  Our current TV is connected to our WiFi router via the mains wiring, so we can watch Freeview channels and of course the BBC. We also have an amplified aerial but I'm not sure if that is redundant ! We don't subscribe to any pay to view channels, other than paying our BBC licence, which is great value. I can't stand adverts . My wife is a film buff but my viewing is mainly  limited to the news and documentaries. However we both watched the recently repeated Poirot series with John Suchet, and a couple of the World Cup soccer games. That ref should have been sent off ! To be honest if I had to choose between radio and TV, the radio would win.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Wow! I'm gobsmacked! I just received an e-mail from a film agent. They've seen my Australian wildlife pictures on Alamy they said and want me to accompany a film crew for a program on Japanese prime time TV!

They want me to help them find animals in the wild. Yeah right, just on cue over 3 days filming, the size of Australia... Even David Attenborough used animals from wildlife centres released into the wild for his filming. 

But wow.... 

What an exciting opportunity, well done !

But do try to avoid being eaten 😀

Edited by Bryan

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

But wow.... 

Yes, Wow! 👍

42 minutes ago, Bryan said:

What an exciting opportunity, well done !

But do try to avoid being eaten 😀

😆😆 I might get eaten by one of the dogs we're taking care of. A Rhodesian ridgeback. She's lovely apart from around food. I have to feed the two dogs in separate rooms or she'll attack the other one for his food. Today we bought big marrow bones for them. I locked her up in the pool area and the cattle dog outside. I threw the bone over the fence for her. When the cattle dog came too close to the fence, she transformed into a wild snarling lioness. Wow! I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

Gen, wow, many congratulations! This sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Maybe they just need someone with more local knowledge than people from Japan. Presumably you know where there are wildlife sanctuaries where you're more or less guaranteed to see something. Guess it depends how much travelling they're willing to do. Best of luck!

• Love 1

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

But wow.... 

That is so great Gen! Hope they have a nice budget for you! The Xmas gifts keep coming, well deserved!

• Love 1

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

But wow.... 

Excellent news Gen. May it pay well.

Sorry I am away from home so cannot reply to posts on the forums.

Allan

Thank you all for your kind words.

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it as I am fully booked house sitting until March but I am working on giving them contacts to help them. 

Perhaps there will be opportunities on another project. This offer was rather short notice (January). 

• Alamy locked this topic