Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

My port has just exceeded 4000 images since starting to contribute in 2017. I continued uploading during lockdowns but my numbers were reduced. Should be able to continue adding 1000 per year, likely more. 

Just uploaded another 33 images. There are more waiting in the wings. Probably load another batch or two before QC see them.

Allan

• Like 2

WOW, Allan!

I never upload more than 20 images at a time. Also, I try not to submit more than 2 similars. However, I do revisit the same subjects often. I have over 100 pics of the Beatles statues --  but the lighting, time of day, and cropping are different. You want bronze Beatles? I got 'em.

Edo

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

WOW, Allan!

I never upload more than 20 images at a time. Also, I try not to submit more than 2 similars. However, I do revisit the same subjects often. I have over 100 pics of the Beatles statues --  but the lighting, time of day, and cropping are different. You want bronze Beatles? I got 'em.

Edo

I was trying to get rid of a big backlog which seemed to be getting bigger by week.

Don't want any creepy crawlies thank you Edo.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

So happy and proud of an old high school buddy and photographer.  We both started photography at the the same time and have remained super close ever since.  John Dolan was hired to shoot President Biden's granddaughter's wedding, that took place at the White House today. His photos have been all over the news this evening and they are gorgeous!  He called me earlier this week about helping him but had to nix that idea as it would have been too complicated.  He didn't need me to shoot but more with downloading photos and prepping them for the media.  Seeing that they are all over the place, he was able to get it done with no obvious issues, he can now rest easy that it was a job well done!  John is one of the top wedding photogs in the U.S. and travels the world to shooting extravagant weddings.  He was saying that this one was a career pinnacle. 

• Love 6
  • Like 2

My family is having out Thanksgiving meal tomorrow, Monday, instead of Thursday. I baked a chicken to get drippings for my dressing today. Carved the chicken. Made a pecan pie, and the chocolate turtle cake.

Yes, being on my feet this much hurts my back, but I still was able to get it all done.

All that’s left is to put the dressing together tomorrow and bake it.
I’m starving myself today so I can pig out tomorrow. 

• Love 2

My book group met on Zoom, of course, during the pandemic but we also continue that during the summer when one member is at her country place. Tomorrow we meet in person for the first time in months. Yea! And we are going to a delicious Mexican restaurant that I haven't been to for a long time. When I moved to NYC in 1963 after growing up in Southern California there was only one Mexican restaurant recommended here. It was awful. Now we have many great places though some tend to be too fancy and expensive. The one we are going to tomorrow is exactly right.

Paulette

• Love 2

On 16/11/2022 at 10:39, Allan Bell said:

Just uploaded another 33 images. There are more waiting in the wings. Probably load another batch or two before QC see them.

Allan

I've just uploaded 40 pics (fingers crossed they all pass QC) and have 90 more I'm currently editing. That satisfies my aim to take my port over 5K images before the end of the year.

Now chasing to catch up with your 6K plus and Edo's 10K!!

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

10 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

I've just uploaded 40 pics (fingers crossed they all pass QC) and have 90 more I'm currently editing. That satisfies my aim to take my port over 5K images before the end of the year.

Now chasing to catch up with your 6K plus and Edo's 10K!!

I have 398 images waiting to be processed.

Allan

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

After only five months, they fixed the lift in my building. I rode up and down in it today. It felt very iffy. But if it goes out tomorrow, I won't be posting that news in the 'bad thing' post.

Edo, the nuevo Scouser. 

Take your acetylene cutter with you so you can cut your way out if necessary.😉

Allan

On 20/11/2022 at 01:21, Michael Ventura said:

So happy and proud of an old high school buddy and photographer.  We both started photography at the the same time and have remained super close ever since.  John Dolan was hired to shoot President Biden's granddaughter's wedding, that took place at the White House today. His photos have been all over the news this evening and they are gorgeous!  He called me earlier this week about helping him but had to nix that idea as it would have been too complicated.  He didn't need me to shoot but more with downloading photos and prepping them for the media.  Seeing that they are all over the place, he was able to get it done with no obvious issues, he can now rest easy that it was a job well done!  John is one of the top wedding photogs in the U.S. and travels the world to shooting extravagant weddings.  He was saying that this one was a career pinnacle. 

Wow that is absolutely amazing and lovely that you started out together  😁

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that is absolutely amazing and lovely that you started out together  😁

Carol

We became instant friends when we met at the high school newspaper and he told me he had a home darkroom and invited to come and use it....it took me all of a half second to say I'll be right there!  John called me after the wedding, while heading back to New York,  he said he called his wife and broke down in tears while thinking about his late parents and how happy they would have been for him.  They let him find his own path and encouraged him to become a photographer, as did my parents.  His dad was a federal judge and perhaps one of the kindest warmest man I ever knew, as was his mom, their home was my second home.  The love in that house was brimming. Shooting weddings was a natural choice for him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

His studio in NYC is just one block from Jay Maisel's famous bank and a few block north of my building.

Yes on Bowery, right across from where Stanton Street meets Bowery.  I have stayed there MANY times.  Used to be a somewhat trashy neighborhood but now full of trendy shops and restaurants.  He has a loft with living space in the back and office in the front.  But he moved his family upstate, near the town of Hudson, shortly after 9-11 happened.  He has nice rural farmhouse with all kinds farm animals, including goats, sheep, chickens etc... (his wife is from Schull, Ireland in County Cork).  He still has the Bowery loft in the city.

• Like 1

I suppose this is a good thing.  My daughter, who now has taken over my whole basement living space (used to be my office), has made me go through all the magazines I have collected over the past 30 plus years, that have my photos in them.  We have heaved the vast majority in recycle bins and only kept the ones with cover photos of mine, or with articles that have special meaning to me.  It was tough to do but necessary.  Less for my kids to do later.  Seems like yesterday, sometimes, that this whole photo career started.

• Love 1

Family Thanksgiving dinner over. Lots of great food and conversation. 10 kids 11 months to  9 years old. The only boy is the Eleven-month-old. What a cutie & charmer.  I  love interacting with the girls.

I’m exhausted. I’m happy to be back home in my comfy clothes and watching Wheel of Fortune.

After more than a week of bitterly cold weather, it was sunny and warmer yesterday & today.

Now I’ll see if I can stay awake until bedtime.

• Love 1

Completed our tax returns yesterday. It's always a problem gathering the info required, particularly as more companies have gone paperless and I struggle to find usernames, passwords etc. A nightmare, but over now ! It ended well when, having given up on Internet access to one such place, I got through on the phone and an incredibly helpful guy gave me the required info. It was so much simpler when you received an annual printed statement.

Edited by Bryan

We started our first 'town housesit' a couple of days ago. It involves taking care of dogs of course, as it is our prerequisite. All our previous house/farm sits were in either rural (by definition) or remote areas.

The comparison is quite interesting but also a little sad. We seem to have transferred the stress and restrictions of city living onto animals. While in the country dogs were free to go wherever they wanted all day long, those two (lovely) dogs have to be taken for a walk on a leash, pick up their poo, including in the garden where they live. Drastic change of doggie lifestyle! One is a cross cattle dog/kelpie, so has a lot of energy he cannot fully release. Sad. He's the most affectionate dog I've ever come across.

We take them for a walk along the beach fringed by palmtrees by 7am. Later on it's too hot. 33C constant at the moment. The lifestyle in this particular part of Australia (tropics, Great Barrier Reef) is incredible. On our morning walk, we pass people jogging, e-scooting, back from swimming, all in the most delightful scenery. People are happy, smiling, friendly, all exchange a few words. It's just another world.

We've lodged our visa renewal application today. Please, please please let us stay.

• Love 5

24 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Bonne chance Gen! 🤞

Merci Steve! It will take quite a few weeks/months before we know. At least we passed the first hurdle yesterday.

• Love 3

42 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Merci Steve! It will take quite a few weeks/months before we know. At least we passed the first hurdle yesterday.

Keeping my fingers and everything else crossed for you.🤞

Allan

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic