Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

On 21/11/2022 at 21:52, Michael Ventura said:

I suppose this is a good thing.  My daughter, who now has taken over my whole basement living space (used to be my office), has made me go through all the magazines I have collected over the past 30 plus years, that have my photos in them.  We have heaved the vast majority in recycle bins and only kept the ones with cover photos of mine, or with articles that have special meaning to me.  It was tough to do but necessary.  Less for my kids to do later.  Seems like yesterday, sometimes, that this whole photo career started.

I hope it's not too late to suggect that you scan your articles, or even just snap (aargh) with your mobile.

Gen, I'm thinking about flying down there and punching a kangaroo or two. Do they work for the government now? Listen up, Aussi fools! These are a positive addition to your population.

Don't make me come down there!

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gen, I'm thinking about flying down there and punching a kangaroo or two. Do they work for the government now? Listen up, Aussi fools! These are a positive addition to your population.

Don't make me come down there!

Tie me kangaroo down Sport! 🦘🦘🎶🎵

Edited by gvallee

9 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Gen, you two have been great residents but also your photos have been getting out there in the world, making people want to visit Oz!!  You are an ambassador of sorts!

I posted on FB drone pix of our campsite by the beach amongst palmtrees. I had several queries asking for exact location, one of them has already made a firm booking. Here you go, I'm bringing them clients.

• Like 1

I updated the OS on both my M1 MacBook Air and my iPhone 12 last night. On the Mac it took just over two hours. It was a confusing look at first but everything I've tried is working well now, including my Adobe CC apps. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Had such a nice Thanksgiving visit with my sister and her husband. They now live along the Atlantic coast of Maryland but had been living in England, for the past year, in Milford on Sea, so it had been a year and a half since I last saw her!  I took my son with me but my daughter had to work at the hospital, so she couldn’t join us.  On the way home, I also visited with a retired art director with whom I have worked for more than 30 years while she was at various magazines.  She and her husband are now very content artists who’s paintings are selling well to the wealthy tourists and home owners who visit or live in that area of the Eastern Shore.  All in all, just a lovely couple days!  More please!

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

Went for a riverside walk this afternoon and passed a garden with numerous bird feeders. My attention was drawn by a metallic clanging sound. Turned out it was squirrels raiding the feeders, lifting the lids and pushing their heads into the cylindrical containers. When they pulled back out the metal lid dropped shut.

They ignored me and sat munching seed between dives into the feeders. Must be costing the owner a fortune in bird food ! They need to fit secure catches to the feeders. I posted some photos on the neighbourhood Facebook page, so maybe the person concerned will get to see them.

• Love 1

Laptop is fixed. Was a hardware problem with the keyboard interface and I've also got a replacement keyboard. £120, so the equivalent of a very good month's earnings from Alamy... At least I can process the weekend's images now 🙂

• Like 1

Luis helped me with photos and became the Voice Operated Lightstand for my Godox AD200 flash.  Showed him how to use white ceilings for very even light and we went around various places after doing table tops at my house.   I had some older photos ready to send in and added enough new ones to have 36 to go, which will bring me up to 700 something if these pass QC.  Lots of Christmas in the municipal park.  Began to drizzle before we got to Corner of the Pinatas, so the camera went in the backpack along with the Godox box. 

He asked me how much I earned from photos.  I showed him my sales and the amount that cleared for me.  I don't think he'll be asking for a share on top of me paying his phone bill.   He asked about selling his phone photos with Alamy and I showed him the differences between his phone photos and my Alamy subs.

One thing for me is documenting Jinotega, absent any stock uses.  Good to get out. 

I really like the AD200 flashes.  They are light enough to be hand-held and have modifiers available.  We used a reflector, my plug in strobe with a soft box and the Godox AD200 for a couple of table tops. 

8 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Luis helped me with photos and became the Voice Operated Lightstand for my Godox AD200 flash.  Showed him how to use white ceilings for very even light and we went around various places after doing table tops at my house.   I had some older photos ready to send in and added enough new ones to have 36 to go, which will bring me up to 700 something if these pass QC.  Lots of Christmas in the municipal park.  Began to drizzle before we got to Corner of the Pinatas, so the camera went in the backpack along with the Godox box. 

He asked me how much I earned from photos.  I showed him my sales and the amount that cleared for me.  I don't think he'll be asking for a share on top of me paying his phone bill.   He asked about selling his phone photos with Alamy and I showed him the differences between his phone photos and my Alamy subs.

One thing for me is documenting Jinotega, absent any stock uses.  Good to get out. 

I really like the AD200 flashes.  They are light enough to be hand-held and have modifiers available.  We used a reflector, my plug in strobe with a soft box and the Godox AD200 for a couple of table tops. 

Here's a technique you could try with a VOL.

Set captioning to auto generated>english.

Here is his book.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Here's a technique you could try with a VOL.

Set captioning to auto generated>english.

Here is his book.

wim

En espanol?  Luis estudie Anglais pero no habla bien.   Also, mostly, we were finding white ceilings to bounce light off of.   Most people here are cool about being photographed, but I'm reluctant to ask them to sign releases -- obviously, this is on me.

He helped with a food shot that did license, but not for any real money. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
More info

A tourist asked me the way to the Whitney Museum. It really cheered me up because I've been feeling down about my amazing city and it reminded me of all we have and how many people come here to enjoy themselves.

Paulette

• Love 3

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

A tourist asked me the way to the Whitney Museum. It really cheered me up because I've been feeling down about my amazing city and it reminded me of all we have and how many people come here to enjoy themselves.

Paulette

Luis and I gave directions in Spanish to two women who were looking for BanPro (Nicaraguan state bank).  Jinotega is where country people come to do banking, get their teeth worked on, buy coffee processing gear, see lawyers and doctors, and do shopping.  It's no New York City, which I do miss from time to time (lived there seven years).   I do watch Cash Jordan YouTube videos about apartments to rent.  World cities are always wonderful.  

23 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

I miss those places, Cat

KERBFK.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

So stuck at home with Covid I have discovered the three part series "Wayfaring Stranger with Phil Cunningham" on BBC iplayer.  It charts the evolution of the folk song tradition from Scotland to Ireland and on to the USA.   I love this music and here it is beautifully presented, highly recommended. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08lnlhz/wayfaring-stranger-with-phil-cunningham-series-1-episode-1

A further great thing, due to having Covid I can't go shopping and have to endure that musical diarrhoea that they play over the Xmas period, I could live happily with Xmas carols etc, or silence,  but muzak style festive stuff I detest.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic