Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

My daughter had fusion back surgery yesterday. I was there then and again today. She’s doing wonderful. Healthy appetite and has walked many times. The contrast between my surgery and hers is remarkable. But she had one level fixed, (a level is like one disk between two vertebrae). I had 5 levels, the entire lumbar spine, done. I also had degenerative scoliosis repaired, bone spurs and a bulging disk removed. Plus I’m 23 years older than she.

I’m so happy she’s doing so well.

Weather? Absolutely gorgeous here today. No wind, sunshine, and no jacket needed.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter had fusion back surgery yesterday. I was there then and again today. She’s doing wonderful. Healthy appetite and has walked many times. The contrast between my surgery and hers is remarkable. But she had one level fixed, (a level is like one disk between two vertebrae). I had 5 levels, the entire lumbar spine, done. I also had degenerative scoliosis repaired, bone spurs and a bulging disk removed. Plus I’m 23 years older than she.

I’m so happy she’s doing so well.

Weather? Absolutely gorgeous here today. No wind, sunshine, and no jacket needed.

Relative youth helps so much! Glad she is doing well!  Been super quiet for me during these holidays, no magazine work for now...the week after next things will wind back up.  The weather has been very mild here too.  Enjoying some cooking and baking, made some banana bread yesterday with three past-their-prime bananas.  Love the aroma of the bread baking!

Going to take a quick three day trip to the Amish country of Pennsylvania and meet up with a childhood friend who lives in NYC.  We picked a spot that was a 2 hour drive for each of us. Looking forward to that!

Happy New Year everyone!!  We can only hope for more sales and higher pricing...we shall see!

7 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Relative youth helps so much! Glad she is doing well!  Been super quiet for me during these holidays, no magazine work for now...the week after next things will wind back up.  The weather has been very mild here too.  Enjoying some cooking and baking, made some banana bread yesterday with three past-their-prime bananas.  Love the aroma of the bread baking!

Going to take a quick three day trip to the Amish country of Pennsylvania and meet up with a childhood friend who lives in NYC.  We picked a spot that was a 2 hour drive for each of us. Looking forward to that!

Happy New Year everyone!!  We can only hope for more sales and higher pricing...we shall see!

Happy New Year to you too Michael ! Wish you plenty of sales and sunshine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Cheers Michael I'll drink to that, best wishes for the new year, but as for thoughts of higher pricing, porcine aviation comes to mind. 

I decided to bake the 2 pumpkin pies I didn’t bake for Christmas since I spent the day alone. They are cooling as I speak. One goes to my son. The house smells wonderful & I can barely wait until one is cool enough to cut.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I decided to bake the 2 pumpkin pies I didn’t bake for Christmas since I spent the day alone. They are cooling as I speak. One goes to my son. The house smells wonderful & I can barely wait until one is cool enough to cut.

Great news about your daughter recovering well from her operation.

Allan

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Great news about your daughter recovering well from her operation.

Allan

Thank you Allan. She came home from the hospital yesterday. She will still have pain, and it takes a year for the bone from a fusion to heal. I’ll reach my 1 year mark Jan 13th.

• Love 1

Since my daughter moved back in with me and works night shifts three nights a week at the hospital and one night at the firehouse, I make her (and for me too) vegetarian/vegan meals to take with her, whenever I can.  Tonight I made a vegan curried carrot soup that turned out so well, I can't wait to make it again! I like doing this, it helps keep my meat consumption down to a minimum and she gets something good to eat at work.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Since my daughter moved back in with me and works night shifts three nights a week at the hospital and one night at the firehouse, I make her (and for me too) vegetarian/vegan meals to take with her, whenever I can.  Tonight I made a vegan curried carrot soup that turned out so well, I can't wait to make it again! I like doing this, it helps keep my meat consumption down to a minimum and she gets something good to eat at work.

Good for you Michael ! My wife makes, mainly vegetarian, soups throughout the winter months. She uses a slow cooker and any left overs from previous meals along with whatever is to hand from the allotment. A chilli pepper gets a 10 minute immersion to give the brew a bit of a kick, and she  is not adverse to mixing in a small quantity of  bought dried vegetable soup. Very nice with tasty, sourdough or harvest grain bread.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you Allan. She came home from the hospital yesterday. She will still have pain, and it takes a year for the bone from a fusion to heal. I’ll reach my 1 year mark Jan 13th.

Happy birthday.

Allan

On 02/01/2023 at 02:13, Bryan said:

Good for you Michael ! My wife makes, mainly vegetarian, soups throughout the winter months. She uses a slow cooker and any left overs from previous meals along with whatever is to hand from the allotment. A chilli pepper gets a 10 minute immersion to give the brew a bit of a kick, and she  is not adverse to mixing in a small quantity of  bought dried vegetable soup. Very nice with tasty, sourdough or harvest grain bread.

A dense type bread like Italian, buttered & sprinkled with garlic powder, then toasted in the oven until golden, is wonderful with soups & stews of all kinds.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's great, Gen! The right decision for Australia to make. I could kiss a Kuala!

Careful Edo, they're known as drop bears!

This is both a good and a bad thing. Years ago we planted a Juniper tree, variety Skyrocket, in front of our house. Now this is a civilised evergreen, unlike those crazy Leylandi that grow like a wild thing and blot out the light, but, even so, it had got to be too big. So big that it started to shade the solar panels on our house roof. I noticed this, when, after a snowfall, a section failed to melt on our south facing roof due to the tree. So we reluctantly decided to take it out, and now, with no birds nesting, is the time.

Armed with a bow saw, a small axe, loppers and a set of secateurs, we tackled the tree at a height of about 4 feet. Unlike deciduous trees the Juniper grows on multiple tight packed vertical stems, each of which you can nibble through with effort and patience. We had some spectacular chunks of tree falling down across our garden, but no damage done. Sawn to a manageable size we gave the wood to friends with wood burning stoves. The soft growth required two trips to the council dump in our trusty Yeti, while the pine needles provided a mulch for the garden

We're now left with a stump and I am hatching plans for its removal, probably involving excavation of the roots and the use of a hired reciprocating saw.

• Alamy locked this topic