The next few weeks, for many of us, are going to be difficult… whether we’re ‘socially distant’ or self-isolating. The temptation - obviously - is to enjoy a bit of ‘me time’, with a reliable broadband connection and a box of mansize tissues... but I’m trying to look beyond the obvious.

Maybe this is the opportunity to learn tai chi, or another language, or read War and Peace, or write the Great American Novel. Maybe it’s time to sample “the finest wines known to humanity” (a UK wine dealer is so busy, they’ve stopped taking new orders till they’ve dealt with the backlog). Are you going to binge on box sets, or just be mesmerised by the 24-hour rolling news on TV? What does the immediate future hold for Alamy contributors??

• Love 1

I am a gliding instructor with a rating that will become void next April when we comply with the European Aviation Safety Agency standards. I am going to try and memorise all the patter and lessons, and practise on a glider simulator whatevers needed to upgrade and keep instructing....

Webby

I'm going to carry on life exactly as normal, which means me trying desperately to find enough hours in the day to do all the things I would like to do.

Plus ça change....

Alan

• Like 2

I work self employed, my time split between photography and contracting repairing Apple computers. Regarding photography, the time when I would regularly travel into London, and sometimes further afield would appear to be over for some time. It isn't worth the risk, as I'm coming up to 69, am type 2 diabetic and have no spleen, so I have to be very careful. Covering HS2 more is likely as it gets closer to home, it will likely pass within 0.5 mile from me.  With the Mac work, I am workshop based with one other person, and have very little contact with others. I will likely give up that work when the risk increases or if travel restrictions materialise making it impossible to continue. When I'm finally self isolating at home I have so much to do. My amateur radio hobby has taken a back seat for the last 5 years, will become active again. Also also have a variety of vintage radio kit to refurbish, repair and use, such as from KW Electronics, that I remember from the 1960's. I also have a few years worth of digital images, mainly shot with a D7100, that might be suitable for Alamy. I also have a huge amount of mainly B&W negatives to scan, mainly shot on an Olympus OM1, OM1n and OM2. Some scans will likely be suitable for Alamy. I also Have my fathers negatives, mainly 6x6, 35mm and Kodachromes, to scan and distribute to relations. I have umpteen books I received as gifts or bought, never previously had time to read. I could go on and on......

• Like 1

Opportunities...... I would just like to wish everyone here all the best during this rough time, be it health or financial.

I work freelance for all my income (less than the national median), and am already going to lose well over half of my expected annual income (non-photography sport and music industry related).

I wonder if the Press Association recently buying Alamy will be a saving grace ?  (less chance of a stand alone Alamy going under ?).

I am also going to take this opportunity to spend more time at the piano (and probably make a racket !).

Good luck All.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I am also going to take this opportunity to spend more time at the piano (and probably make a racket !).

Hey! Now there's an idea.

I might try to learn to play the "Jaws Harp". 😃     (Note some people call by its miss-named spelling of Jews Harp).

Allan

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hey! Now there's an idea.

I might try to learn to play the "Jaws Harp". 😃     (Note some people call by its miss-named spelling of Jews Harp).

Allan

I think a band is forming here...

phil

• Love 1

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

a UK wine dealer is so busy, they’ve stopped taking new orders till they’ve dealt with the backlog

We've got about 150 bottles in, but there are going to be fewer in a couple of months' time, that's for sure. I reckon if alcohol works in sanitiser, it must offer some protection when drunk. (I mean when the alcohol is drunk, not when I am. But then, as well).😀

Edited by spacecadet

I might join in the noise making, although I only do "ambient".

Of course, there is always photography inside and in the garden. Perhaps time to dig the childhood Lego out of the loft and get some shots. I had meant to put it up on eBay soon, but that isn't likely to happen for a while now.

There are still electronic projects I want to build: I suspect many will now fail to come to fruition.

1 hour ago, DJ Myford said:

I might join in the noise making, although I only do "ambient".

Of course, there is always photography inside and in the garden. Perhaps time to dig the childhood Lego out of the loft and get some shots. I had meant to put it up on eBay soon, but that isn't likely to happen for a while now.

There are still electronic projects I want to build: I suspect many will now fail to come to fruition.

The lego our kids had 30 + years ago is now played with by our grandsons...and me! In those days it was bricks, not kits. I can still make a pretty good gable end roof!

15 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I started creating music 4 years ago with the idea that I might be able to make another small income stream, but no-one seems to like it!

I can't play an instrument so I won't be able to join the Alamy Contributors band.

Alan

I'll have to dig out the saxophone again, but learn how to play it properly this time! 'er indoors used to teach piano and still plays occasionally - perhaps we could both join the Alamy band?

John.

If I'm stuck where I currently am, I am planning to catch up with my super-tagging which I have neglected in my recent uploads for the first time ever. Being constantly on the move, I want to edit and upload as quickly as possible before drowning totally under the number of images. So I left super-tagging for rainy days. Thing is, there are not many rainy days in the Australian Red Centre at the moment,  more like 36C and blue sky every day. There are talks of closing inter-states borders, so if it happens, and I believe it will, here's my chance to do so.

After that, I will be planning to watch PS tutorials with a slant on creativity rather than editorial. I need to be in the right mood, with the right amount of patience, the lack of it is a shortcoming of mine.

If I'm stuck for a lot longer, which can easily happen, I will study to improve on my Brazilian portuguese. 

Ideas, ideas.... Will it ever happen?

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Russell said:

I have two guitars & two ukuleles - but I can only play one at a time 🙂

Only one at a time? Harrumph!!! . . . you obviously need more practise

DD

I have a David Kilpatrick Xaphoon I've yet to master.

DD

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

I had to look that up. Sounded like a character from h2g2.

:) . . . they are an intriguing instrument, a pocket-size saxophone in a way--David K used to sell them, maybe still does?

DD