I've had 3 refunds so far this month, once upon a time they hardly ever appeared, but now they seem to be more common. No pattern here, one personal use, one re-negotiated TV deal, and a straightforward lease. 

I wonder what the record is for the maximum number of refunds in a month and have others noted this increasing trend?

I'm afraid that my port and sales graph will not be enough to help with your investigations  I rarely have enough sales to get refunds! :)

I believe I had a couple of refunds in one month a long while back, but nothing of late. Hopefully, this is just a minor blip in your month. Onward and upward! :)

Refunds....it's been ages since the last one. Well over a year, maybe two?

Saying that I'll probably have a couple now.

I get very few distributor sales also. Can't remember the last one.

Hopefully for Bryan, these refunds will be like buses.....3 along at once, then wait forever for the next one.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, mickfly said:

I don't think PU's should be refunded, every other kind of digital download is non refundable (because it can be copied).

I (barely) understand that refunds can be accepted when made by major publishers with which Alamy has a long and reliable record of sales. That said, I already wrote that, by and large, I don't understand refunds altogether. Customers should be allowed to download a watermarked full-res picture without recording it as a sale and, at a second time, they'd be free to buy the un-watermarked photo or not; if they'll buy it, that'll be an un-refundable sale, period. Yet, that's not the real problem. The problem is that I really can't see any reason why a PU sale by a casual customer could be refunded. You can't allow a John Doe to download on his hardisk a full-res picture under the promise that he will eventually pay some peanuts and, afterwards, allow him to "return" it back without paying a single penny. That's an unfair and, honestly, a very suspicious behaviour which, happily, I've never experienced with Alamy, to date.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

was the image of something that may have led the client to believe they were actually buying the goods?

It shouldn't matter. If I download software, then don't want it... it's tough!

2 minutes ago, mickfly said:

It shouldn't matter. If I download software, then don't want it... it's tough!

When did you buy software thinking you were receiving physical goods?  I guess you bought WIndows, thinking you were getting a window for your house?

if you are buying something, on-line and the items delivered is not what you thought some legislation will have protection.  That said there is no reason for anything beyond 24 hours.

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

When did you buy software thinking you were receiving physical goods?  I guess you bought WIndows, thinking you were getting a window for your house?

if you are buying something, on-line and the items delivered is not what you thought some legislation will have protection.  That said there is no reason for anything beyond 24 hours.

If someone thinks they're getting what's in the picture rather than the picture, presumably they don't download the image. They'd wait a few days for the physical product to arrive before contacting Alamy to ask when the product will arrive. I'd hope Alamy can see whether the image was downloaded or not.

In answer to the OP, I noticed, when looking through last year's sales to complete my Dacs stage 1, that I had quite a few refunds which weren't rebought at any price, as well as those which were bought for a bit more/less (currency fluctuation) and one which was bought for quite a bit more, as the wrong licence had accidentally been purchased the first time. Some rebuys were some time after the earlier refunds.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Michael Ventura said:

Just had a $$$ sale post and refunded at the same time! Why would they bother posting it at all? 

That's the upside/downside here. You get notification of an invoiced or actual sale just as soon as it happens. I imagine that you'll see a new licence for the same image appear within a day or so. Tends to be at a lower price or with slight variations in the licence terms, but, with luck, can be higher. ;

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

And a clawback: since the April 2019 sale being refunded had cleared last year, and the resale hasn't, I now have a cleared balance of $-38.40.

Ah, so that is why my cleared balance suddenly dropped...still on the plus side but not by much.

• 3 months later...

I just had a refund from 25/6/2019!  It strikes me as odd that a photo can be potentially used for a whole year and then the client expects and gets a refund. Something quite wrong here IMO. I don't really understand the logic of allowing refunds after such a long period of time. Citizens Advice recommends the following:

Getting a repair, replacement or refund

• Bought within the last 30 days - you can get a refund on a faulty product.

• Bought within the last 6 months - you are entitled to have it repaired or replaced once. If the item still doesn’t work you should get a full refund.

• Bought more than 6 months ago  - you may still get a repair or replacement but you will only get a partial refund to reflect the use you’ve got out of the item.

1 minute ago, Jansos said:

I just had a refund from 25/6/2019!  It strikes me as odd that a photo can be potentially used for a whole year and then the client expects and gets a refund. Something quite wrong here IMO. I don't really understand the logic of allowing refunds after such a long period of time. Citizens Advice recommends the following:

• Bought within the last 6 months - you are entitled to have it repaired or replaced once. If the item still doesn’t work you should get a full refund.

• Bought more than 6 months ago  - you may still get a repair or replacement but you will only get a partial refund to reflect the use you’ve got out of the item.

Ridiculous... This should not happen. 😬

Phil

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

That's the b2c law and it doesn't apply to digital goods in the same way. Anyway Alamy's b2b terms are more generous. It's been explained before that projects are cancelled and it's industry practice to allow a refund.

Just like Janos  I have just had a refund today from 25/6/10. I wonder if it is the same organisation

Usage: Editorial
Media: Internal newsletter
Print run: Unlimited
Image Size: Any size
Start: 25 June 2019
End: 25 June 2024
Use in a location guide for a home owner. Archival rights. Includes repeat use.

seems very strange

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Today I've had a $650 refund.

That hurts.

😢

Me too, original sale 8th April.  That's wiped out this months earnings. Not happy.

Pearl