Two Non-Photo Tips

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

1. Don't forget to turn back your clocks tonight. We get an extra hour sleep in the UK. 

2. It's time for your flu jab. I had mine today. 

I'm so used to waking up around 5.30am my inbuilt alarm clock will ignore the option to lay in for an hour. Will take me a good week to get used to the change. Also cats still want feeding and letting out at the same time.

• Love 1

1. Don't forget to turn back your clocks tonight. We get an extra hour sleep in the UK. 

2. It's time for your flu jab. I had mine today. 

I had my flu jab for the first time ever this week. Always chickened out before because I fear needles. Turned out to be painless :rolleyes:. Because I'm diabetic and pushing 65, I was entitled to a pneumonia jab too. As I was on a roll, I opted for that one too and it was no problem. Any other chickens out there, take heart and go get a jab.

Good going, Joseph. Very important to do both as we get older. I had the same two shots today. I wanted to get a Shingles vaccination too, but NHS doesn't give them to those over 78. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/shingles-vaccination/

Both my arms are achy tonight but that should be gone tomorrow. The jabs were expertly done and painless. 

If using Apple devices, best not to change anything manually as they are set to update automatically by default - Macs, iPhones, iPads etc. Cameras might need manual adjusting. 

I had my flu jab on Monday last. Long live the NHS and long may the greedy ones eyeing it up keep their greasy paws off it (they know who they are although it is not clear that a lot of those who benefit most from it can see this). 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good going, Joseph. Very important to do both as we get older. I had the same two shots today. I wanted to get a Shingles vaccination too, but NHS doesn't give them to those over 78. 

Both my arms are achy tonight but that should be gone tomorrow. The jabs were expertly done and painless. 

There is a new shingles vaccine that is given in two doses.  It is worth watching for if it isn't available yet there. Some aftereffects that feel like mild flu for a couple of days. It is more effective than the old vaccine.  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html I don't know if there are age restrictions.

Paulette

I got my two pneumonia vaccines two years in a row (two different ones give a year apart) in my late 50's (65 unless you have health issues that require it sooner). Started getting the flu jab then too and have each year since. I hate needles. All were free (covered 100% by health insurance). Got them at the pharmacy nearby (Walgreens) rather than MD's office since they give away free vaccines to kids in Africa (various vaccines) for every vaccine you get there. 

I want to get that shingles vaccine - a couple of friends had shingles and it's horrible. So glad we can be protected from all this stuff.

It's funny, when my grandson was born our daughter asked us to get our titers for childhood diseases checked. I'm too old to have gotten the MMR, but my hubs is a few years younger than me and had it. He needed a booster but I'm immune to mumps and rubella (which I had), as well as to measles (which I never had). Still, would rather get a jab  as a kid and again as an adult than suffer through mumps again. An pneumonia, which I've had a few times, is no picnic either. 

Good advice Edo. 

Yes, Paulette and Marianne, I know all that. But I pull up short of giving medical advice. Note that I told Joseph to see his doctor (they say surgery here). In NYC before I left, a shingles shot was not covered by Medicare. It cost about $400, and yes vaccine jabs can be given at pharmacies. 

True about having to pay for the new shingles vaccines in the US, Ed. I had my two last year and spent at least $300 total, though I also qualify for Medicare. A high price to pay, but better than getting a case of the shingles. Supposedly the vaccines are highly effective. I also hadn’t heard about an age limit. 

Oh my, I seem to have edited out the line where I suggested to Joseph that he talk to his doctor about the shingles jab. Somewhere in my research, NHS said that the shingles shot is not very effective after age 78 or 80. ???

I'm 74 and did not take up the offer of the shingles shot about three years ago as I was told by a medical professional that there was a small chance it would actually give me shingles.😕

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

52 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh my, I seem to have edited out the line where I suggested to Joseph that he talk to his doctor about the shingles jab. Somewhere in my research, NHS said that the shingles shot is not very effective after age 78 or 80. ???

The poster in my doctor's surgery says shingle jabs available for over 70's.

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I forgot about the clocks until I read your post at 6.30 so thanks for the reminder! Luckily it's not a big deal as I'm a hotel with time to kill this morning and when I'm away I wake up when my body tells me to.

A friend of mine forgets every year and can't understand why the shops aren't open when she walks down to the village for her Sunday paper.

Alan

• Love 1

My body clock work well too, Alan. 😎

And Joseph, what Allan says about the shingles jab is correct and a serious consideration. BUT that's the old vaccine, not the new one.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/news/20180212/new-shingles-vaccine_what-you-need-to-know

If I trust anyone, it's the fabulous NHS. They and only they have been making the bureaucracy work in my favor. Well . . . the Tune Hotel staff is on my side, and Pret A Manger did not charge me for my breakfast this morning. If this continues, I may have to buy a Beatles poster. 

Edo

• Love 1

Clocks go back on Nov. 4th in Canada.

Haven't had my flu jab yet, but I get one every year. They are free in Canada.

Shingles vaccine is expensive here. You blokes are lucky to have the generous NHS. Our politicians keep yakking about a national PharmaCare program, but little action so far... 🙄

An almond croissant, a banana, and two black Americanos, usually 6.50 -- free today, Allan.  😎 I have an early breakfast there most days. The oatmeal is good but no blueberries. 😫

Get a flu jab, everyone. 50 to 100 million died from flu in 1918. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

An almond croissant, a banana, and two black Americanos, usually 6.50 -- free today, Allan.  😎 I have an early breakfast there most days. The oatmeal is good but no blueberries. 😫

Get a flu jab, everyone. 50 to 100 died from flu in 1918. 

You mean 50-100 million. No?

You could always bring your own blueberries, assuming you can buy them in L' pool at this time of year.

Million, of course. I'm making a lot of writing mistakes these days. It's probably due to a blueberry deficiency. 

Got an official Registration Confirmation Letter from the NHS today with my NHS Number. Yippie! 😀

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Get a flu jab, everyone. 50 to 100 died from flu in 1918. 

Held out against the flu jab until three winters ago I caught a bad cold that I couldn't shift. They say don't trouble your Dr with a cold but eventually I paid a visit, only to be reprimanded for not going earlier. A dose of antibiotics eventually cleared it up. Had the jab since and not a sniffle these  last two  years. I know that cold and flu are different animals, years ago I had flu and couldn't get out of bed (happened when  I was on leave from work Grrr!) but it appears, maybe, that the flu jab provides some protection against colds? Incredibly I can't persuade the Mrs to have the jab.......