Pride in London – are you one of the 500 accredited media?

I am going to Pride in London as an accredited photographer tomorrow.  It was interesting to note that there are over five hundred accredited media.  I guess a fair percentage of those will be Alamy contributors; not to mention the unaccredited Alamy togs taking images from the crowds.  Thus unless you are one of Alamy’s favoured few then the chance of sales must rank very low.  There are currently over eighteen thousand Pride in London images on Alamy. 

I am going, with my daughter, as we have a lovely time and I do get some good pictures and I also provide a selection free to Pride in London to support their excellent work. 

I will be rushing back for the inevitable disturbances locally following the world cup game – all in a day’s work.

If you are going to Pride in London and see me say hullo……….    

Looking through stuff in my vacated apartment the other day, I found my old Lasiapassare, my Italian press card. Could not find my MACV or Tai Bo Chi cards from Vietnam or my old NY Press Card. Ah, the bravery of youth!

I don't even cover soft news anymore. I might miss my nap. 

Edo

46 minutes ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

Interesting that a "well known British Bank" was asking for staff to go and take photos.

Ha, don't know which bank you're referring to, but last year I got a picture of Tom Daley doing a thumbs-up wearing a Barclays shirt into the FT via Alamy News and I got paid for it. 

I don’t see the point in any accreditation whatsoever if you are intending to upload to the Alamy news feed.

You are in a public place taking pictures of the public for editorial news so no problem.

I really don’t believe that Alamy favours any of their contributors whatsoever referring news. If you are there and get the right shots keyworded and uploaded immediately then you have as much chance as anyone else.

My occasional input to the news feed has been very successful and I’m hardly on of the “favoured few”

Andy, you're wrong. Of course you can take pictures everywhere, but you won't be allowed on the parade route or in front of the Trafalgar Square stage unless you have accreditation. 

Ok, that makes sense. 

I personally would not want to be part of the press pack, I’m sure there would be a lot of newsworthy shots away from the main thong....useless auto correct, I meant throng. 

3 hours ago, AndyMelbourne said:

Ok, that makes sense. 

I personally would not want to be part of the press pack, I’m sure there would be a lot of newsworthy shots away from the main thong....useless auto correct, I meant throng. 

I don't know, maybe Thong would be more appropriate for a Pride Parade! :D

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I hope some of you London based Live News togs plan to cover the Trump protests this coming week.

please do, and someone get the giant trump in diapers inflatable from parliament square...that I want to see.

14 hours ago, vpics said:

Andy, you're wrong. Of course you can take pictures everywhere, but you won't be allowed on the parade route or in front of the Trafalgar Square stage unless you have accreditation. 

Perhaps I'm missing something, but this was a parade in a public place. How could anyone be prevented from being anywhere on it?

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I hope some of you London based Live News togs plan to cover the Trump protests this coming week.

Everyone and their uncle with a working camera will go. :D It'll be more of a challenge to find interesting angles that aren't just the obvious. 

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I did a recce of Stansted Airport some time back in preparation, with aviation being my thing and that touch-down shot being an image that could go straight out on the wires as an obvious statement of arrival. Now they've announced the date and we're booked in for a week in the Cotswolds for the country's largest airshow (they advertise it as the World's, but some disagree). Looking at all the other lively events this week it couldn't have been worse timing, so it better be a good show!

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:10, vpics said:

Ha, don't know which bank you're referring to, but last year I got a picture of Tom Daley doing a thumbs-up wearing a Barclays shirt into the FT via Alamy News and I got paid for it. 

Not as popular:)

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2018 at 23:02, Michael Ventura said:

Some marches are too big, as was the London Pride and the Anti Trump protests. They are are also very well covered by other photographers. I prefer smaller events, so shot the Oxford Pride march and the Trump protest outside Blenheim Palace.

Archived