I noticed a couple of weeks back that the UK Daily Mail had started to feature Alamy photos again so I have been posting details to the "have you found any Alamy photos" thread. Clearly some people find this useful as evidenced by the greenies they give. However one person doesn't find this helpful as today they appear to have systematically gone through my postings and given me a red down vote on each (about 20 or so in total). This puzzles me, any thoughts as to why ?

You can let Alamy know.  We don't know who puts on the red arrows, but they do.  Abuse of the arrows is supposed to be punishable.  But there has been much argument about them.  Philippe left because of it.

Jill

Pathetic, I'm afraid. There are some who will take against you for whatever reason and then - rather than confront the issue - will sneak around doling out red arrows 'in the dark'. I've experienced it myself (some time ago, now) and it's not pleasant. I just let it go and let the idiot(s) get on with it. As has been said, you can take it up with Alamy, if you wish. 

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

How very odd. Some weird people around:(

Don't let it discourage you from posting.

27 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Time and time again they've proven to be more trouble than they're worth. Alamy seem to like them though. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. Can't honestly see how I could have upset someone although Mrs H did suggest it might be that I've outed myself as a Daily Mail reader😉

2 hours ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Think there is a limit (3?) as to how many red arrows one can deliver in a day, so 20 in one day probably aint from the same person? Highly weird thing to do though, as all you were doing was offering info/help - muppets a plenty around!

If there is such a limit then it suggests even more strongly that this should be investigated by Alamy. DavidHu's posts in the 'Images found...' thread were the only ones targetted with  red arrows. Indeed, the perpetrator(s)  even red-arrowed a simple post he made simply acknowledging a thank you from a contributor. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to this and it is a disturbing trend in what is the best, most helpful and friendliest forum I have ever encountered on the internet.

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

If there is such a limit then it suggests even more strongly that this should be investigated by Alamy. DavidHu's posts in the 'Images found...' thread were the only ones targetted with  red arrows. Indeed, the perpetrator(s)  even red-arrowed a simple post he made simply acknowledging a thank you from a contributor. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to this and it is a disturbing trend in what is the best, most helpful and friendliest forum I have ever encountered on the internet.

I got the impression from the last round of "hoopla" regarding arrows that Alamy does try to keep an eye on it, but of course a helpful e-mail wouldn't go amiss and then Alamy can take the appropriate action. Just don't get people that act like this/that - ridiculous and of course counter-productive to an otherwise ´nice´and useful forum.

2 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Not that it is any excuse... but I have noticed an increase in "abrasive" behaviour on Friday and Saturday evenings. My theory being that alcohol has come into the equation. Commenting on forums after a few beverages is probably best left alone.

:D Am just trying to picture that scene. Having a few nice cocktails with partner/friends/social circle and then...yay, let's go and comment on a, err, umm, stock photography forum. What wild fun!

David sorry to hear somebody's being mean.  It doesn't make sense to give red arrows for your very helpful posts.   The posts ARE appreciated.    Before the last major forum changes, we used to be able to cancel someone's red arrows by giving out green ones, and we would if we could.

2 hours ago, John Walker said:

Alamy - Name and Shame those who think it's fun to give Red Arrows.  Basically the same level as a Troll (op)

:)

There’s an idea! An Alamy page that lists red arrow givers and how many.  Bet they’d be used for only really bad behavior after that.

8 hours ago, MariaJ said:

David sorry to hear somebody's being mean.  It doesn't make sense to give red arrows for your very helpful posts.   The posts ARE appreciated.    Before the last major forum changes, we used to be able to cancel someone's red arrows by giving out green ones, and we would if we could.

Thanks for the kind words Maria. Don't worry about me, I've got a thick skin - years of dealing with customer complaints for a leading financial institution have seen to that !

On 21/10/2017 at 15:36, davidhu said:

I noticed a couple of weeks back that the UK Daily Mail had started to feature Alamy photos again so I have been posting details to the "have you found any Alamy photos" thread. Clearly some people find this useful as evidenced by the greenies they give. However one person doesn't find this helpful as today they appear to have systematically gone through my postings and given me a red down vote on each (about 20 or so in total). This puzzles me, any thoughts as to why ?

It must be quite easy for Alamy to trace and then post a message to this person to let them know that it is not particularly useful, whatever their views may be on the Daily Mail. Personally, as others have already said, I agree that the 'reds and greens' are not a great feature. If Alamy want to make the Forum more interactive it would be useful to be able to post moderated comments on contributors' photos. I often see a photo and think, wow, that's wonderful and want to say so but can't.

14 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Not that it is any excuse... but I have noticed an increase in "abrasive" behaviour on Friday and Saturday evenings. My theory being that alcohol has come into the equation. Commenting on forums after a few beverages is probably best left alone.

If it happens more on weekends, maybe that's because:

1. Alamy's not watching

2. The perpetrator finally has time off from a dispiriting day job

3.  It's Russian trolls with time off from their day jobs, taking a busman's holiday trying to sow chaos here

4.  ..............

Archived