Uploading styles...what is yours?

Through the years, I have read time after time to upload a batch, then wait for it to be QC approved before uploading another.  I can see the value in that advice for someone having a lot of failures, since you waste time uploading subsequent batched that will fail along with the batch with the failure.  But really, it's only a matter of hitting an upload button and walking away until the deed is done, so how much time is lost?  Nearly none.

I have always followed the above advice.  The trouble with that is if it takes 2 days for an upload to be QC'd, you lose that day in between.  Upload on Monday, get approved on Wednesday, upload next batch on Wednesday, get approved on Friday.  5 day work week, two batches approved.

If you upload on Monday and Tuesday, both uploads will presumably be QC'd on the Monday upload timetable. So you get two uploads approved on Wednesday. Upload again on Wednesday, then on Thursday, and you get both QC'd on Friday. 5 day work week, 4 uploads approved.

If one fails, then one is going to spend a month in the Sin Bin whether the failed image is in the first batch or the second.  You wait your time, get rid of the failure, inspect everything carefully again. Put images in those two batches into one batch and upload again.  Big deal, I see no problem with that.

People who routinely get QC approval in 24 hours or less, no problem with the one batch at a time.  I had a couple of uploads like that recently.  Now I seem to be on the two-day train again. 

I uploaded a batch yesterday, then just did another a few minutes ago.  I'll see how it goes.

And I do understand the advice is good for new contributors.  I've read some of those threads in the past where somebody had multiple batches fail and ranted and raved because they think only the offending batch should fail.  Somebody uploading hundreds of images within a few days and many batches, I can see their frustration, and also see why they need to go down the cautious road.

What do you do??

Betty

I usually don't have enough images to make more than one small submission per week, so that dictates my uploading style. Lately, though, I've found that uploads crash about halfway through the process, and I have to make two submissions instead of one. Not sure what is causing this to happen all of a sudden, but it has put a real dent in my style.  B) 

P.S. I'm normally on the 24-hour (occasionally 48-hour) track, but there's really no rush when you come right down to it...

There is a rush for me. The past year I've worked really hard trying to increase my port. As a result, my CTR has jumped, and sales have improved.

Since I don't batch develop, limit similars and each image receives personal attention, this is slow work. So any part of the process I can speed up is welcome.

I think that even if I had a lot more images to upload and a faster, more reliable Internet connection (mine sucks), I would stick to the one-batch-at-a-time routine simply because I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my QC record with multiple submission failures.

P.S. Yesterday's split batch just cleared in less than 24 hours. Wow, QC really is on it these days. Time to do some more keywording...

I sometimes upload in dribs and drabs as I process a few photos - even as few as one image - and sometimes upload fewer because the uploader times out.

Yesterday,  I was really productive and uploaded  a large batch (*large by my standards) and it went faster than ever - guessing they may have finally fixed the upload bug - Yay!  I don't usually wait for QC to pass them if I have another batch ready, assuming that they'll pass. I've only had one fail in the past few years but fingers crossed I do get nervous when it's a big batch. It would be so much more productive if they failed images and not entire sets and if the wait was more reasonable, but we are used to this system for better or worse. 

I uploaded some in the wee hours of the morning and am still waiting. They've been quite fast lately so hopefully it won't be too long. I have a bunch more I'll probably upload tonight. 

I just upload whatever is ready at the end of each day.  They mostly go through after 2 days but yesterday's batch had passed this morning.

Pearl

Yes me too. I see no sense in waiting for a previous batch to clear. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll just have to upload them again. (Fast fibre optic broadband in these parts).

With batches mostly clearing within 24-28 hours during the week I rarely need to upload a second batch before the first has cleared.  I don't hesitate to have a second batch uploaded before the first has cleared - but it's not usually necessary.  Having said that I've just dealt with two small batches which both passed early this evening, one from yesterday afternoon, one from this morning.

This subject has never been thoroughly discussed before, and it is good to know my thinking isn't crazy. I suppose if I get a couple of fails, I'll change back for a while.

It seems those of you with great QC histories do whatever you feel like.

. . . I would stick to the one-batch-at-a-time routine simply because I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my QC record with multiple submission failures.

I am 100% confident that if an image fails, regardless of how many other submissions are waiting in the wings and are therefore also "failed", that is ONE submission failure.

Back to Betty's OP, I too have often had several submissions in the system at the same time. It seems to me to be a false economy of time to wait just in case I might have to click the upload button again.

dd

I usually pass within 24 hours, so don't worry much about failing. But I am still uploading images taken back in September as I want to be sure they are properly keyworded and PP'd and I don't have a lot of spare time.  When I get an hour or so, I do as many as I can, get all the keywording done and upload. Will do the next batch when I can find another hour or two to spare.

Jill

. . . I would stick to the one-batch-at-a-time routine simply because I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my QC record with multiple submission failures.

I am 100% confident that if an image fails, regardless of how many other submissions are waiting in the wings and are therefore also "failed", that is ONE submission failure.

dd

On what evidence do you base said confidence? It hasn't happened to me in a long time, thankfully, but when one batch fails all waiting batches also show up as failed.

Alamy can QC mine quicker than I can produce them so usually 20 or so at a time. I hate keywording so 20ish is enough to be waiting at any one time. I wouldn't hesitate to upload several batches in succession if I had them ready though. It would seem a bit silly not to. 

. I hate keywording so 20ish is enough to be waiting at any one time. I wouldn't hesitate to upload several batches in succession if I had them ready though. It would seem a bit silly not to. 

Uniquely perhaps (?) I quite enjoy keywording. I like the research that is involved and the challenge of finding appropriate words that will promote the shots without incurring excessive irrelevant views. I don't always succeed and, almost inevitably, if I revisit previous work I find either an error or opportunities missed. It's always worth taking a second look after a day or two.

Mind I'm a gentleman, well person then, of leisure these days, so plenty of spare time to devote to the task.

After a long period of not uploading I started catching up about one month ago. I upload as soon as I have 3 or 4 images ready; to get my place in line. Then upload again if I have time to process more that day. I've been getting 24hr turnaround so each day is less than 10 images. Had one fail that didn't affect anything, but now I'm more careful. 

Editing keywords in Alamy is nice work when having a teatime :) Images are keyworded before upload so all I need to do is managing in Alamy tools.

Review takes one day and there are no rejections so work is fast. I upload about 20-50 files 1-2 times a week. Regularly and not to much work to do at once. 

Edit, Review time is 17 hours actually ;)

dd

On what evidence do you base said confidence? It hasn't happened to me in a long time, thankfully, but when one batch fails all waiting batches also show up as failed.

Plain ordinary common-sense.

Of course they all show as failed . . . how else could they designate them? BUT . . . if you have 19 batches in the pipeline and ONE image fails, what possible reason would there be for Alamy to count that against your record as anything other than ONE failed submission instead of 19? It's too silly for words, IMO only of course.

dd

I upload pretty much as they're ready, a few each day - sometimes a couple of pics, sometimes a dozen, and never wait for the previous batch to be checked - they seem to be QC'd 24 hours from uploading, as a rule, so if I've uploaded 3 or 4 batches the last one may go through in a couple of hours or so.

Alex

Due to family and private circumstances my image production has fallen dramatically over the last three months but when I manage to grab any I upload as soon as I can. Usually in dribs and drabs. Then wait till they have passed.

They usually pass well before the next drib or drab is ready anyway. :)

Allan

I think anyone who plans their uploads around how to cope best with QC failures should perhaps think about spending more time on making sure they don't fail QC. 

Yep! I do have more time to spend on the few images I am managing to take now.

Another thing I do, and mentioned a few threads ago, is not to upload on Friday, Saturday or Sunday any more as I believe if my batch is in the wrong queue and that person is badly hungover on Monday my submission seems to fail in Mondays QC.

Yes I did check out my upload and fails record.

Allan

. I hate keywording so 20ish is enough to be waiting at any one time. I wouldn't hesitate to upload several batches in succession if I had them ready though. It would seem a bit silly not to. 

Uniquely perhaps (?) I quite enjoy keywording. I like the research that is involved and the challenge of finding appropriate words that will promote the shots without incurring excessive irrelevant views.

Same here! Otherwise, I wouldn't do this job for 18 other photographers  ;)

Yeah, I'm a little nuts  :wacko:

Cheers,

Philippe (keywording right now, while enjoying Puccini's O mio babbino caro in the background

Beautiful song. The version from 

Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Time to Say Goodbye

gives me goose bumps. :)

dd

Plain ordinary common-sense.

Of course they all show as failed . . . how else could they designate them? BUT . . . if you have 19 batches in the pipeline and ONE image fails, what possible reason would there be for Alamy to count that against your record as anything other than ONE failed submission instead of 19? It's too silly for words, IMO only of course.

dd

Of course, too silly for words. Hope your words are correct.

Hmmm... how else could they designate them? As "not failed" perhaps. Nah, that wouldn't make sense.

Archived