And force me to finish prepping my last 40-50 images so they can go on sale. Just don't leave marks, please.

For the first time ever, I uoloaded 225 or so images within 24 hours of each other. I've waded through most, but am so sick of it I could die. With two subject matter exceptions, my images are singles or double similars. As a result, I can't batch them.

I'll never do so many at once again. :( What a boon it would be for software that would put all the keywords in the proper boxes.

Now I'll quit whining. Maybe.

Betty

That's why I do small uploads, rarely more than 10 at the end of each day so I have no more than 20 to keyword. It is a painfully boring process but I still prefer to have control of it rather than have someone else do it for me.

Pearl

That's why I do small uploads, rarely more than 10 at the end of each day so I have no more than 20 to keyword. It is a painfully boring process but I still prefer to have control of it rather than have someone else do it for me.

Pearl

Painful, yes. Boring, extremely. Since nobody volunteered to force me to the computer, I'll find a rope, put knots in it, and whip myself this afternoon. ARG!

I find that the longer my images stay in the camera/computer, the harder it is to process/work on them. And also the longer they stay in Manage Images but unkeyworded, the harder that also is.

Trying to get loads of pics done like Betty in one go is no fun. Best to have a steady trickle of uploads like others have said.

I've got a load to work on now, and I know I should work on them, but I live next to a pub, and it's a Sunday afternoon, and that's where I'm off.................

I used to feel a bit like that.

I soon realised that if I was to survive with sanity intact, I would have to change my outlook on keywording. So I did (it's actually not all that difficult to do).

Now I enjoy it, (1) because it is an integral part of this business, (2) because it's an essential skill that the more I practise, the better I become, the more I potentially benefit, and (3) because I couldn't tolerate working at a job I really disliked.

dd

Hi Betty - I can relate, with dozens of news photos that need Essential and Main Keywords sections filled out. It all started when I had extremely limited access to a computer for a couple of months, so was mainly relying on iPad.

How about a support group - "Keep On Keywording" or "Keep Up with Keywording"....? Hmm, neither sounds likely to inspire hordes to join.

- Ann

Like Dusty, I enjoy keywording (well, almost) . . . but I never work on an image group larger than 25 -- 10 to 20 is normal for me. However, I'm not traveling anymore, and that's where they can pile up.

It's spotting that can drive me into a depression. My obsessive nature forces me to clean up New York City in my images. I wonder if the mayor would be willing to pay me something for this? 

Ann, can you, do you, preform PP on an iPad? I have an iPad mini, but I "saved" about $150 on not getting 3G or 4G or whatever . . . so the little gizmo is all but useless. Well, I do play Virtual Pool on it. 

Edo

I guess this goes without saying, but another advantage of small batches is that they are easier to check (and double check) for technical flaws -- i.e. there is less chance of landing you-know-where.

My inspiration -- or lack thereof -- these days is such that I usually have only a few to submit anyway.

Edo - I have the usual assortment of photo apps on my iPad Air, including Photoshop Express, but use them only to work on photos captured with iPhone, not DSLRs. 

Once I can edit image info with iPad, it should be much easier to keep up with keywording, since I still prefer doing as much text-type of work as possible on iPad, rather than computer.

I must confess. I spent a month in the Sin Bin. During that month, I refused to let it put me behind in the game. I finally finished processing all the images from my St. Croix trip a year and a half ago. Reason? I had so many, and after working on some for awhile, out of boredom I had to work on something else or go nuts.but I did get the best of them done much quicker.

I also shot new work, and by the time I got out of jail (one image with camera shake, user error) I had those 225 ready to go. I also (John) excessively checked them at 100% or more, over and over. AND over. So I split them up into two uploads. Waited for the first to clear the next morning, then off went the rest.

Not my usual way to work.

Hi Betty - I can relate, with dozens of news photos that need Essential and Main Keywords sections filled out. It all started when I had extremely limited access to a computer for a couple of months, so was mainly relying on iPad.

How about a support group - "Keep On Keywording" or "Keep Up with Keywording"....? Hmm, neither sounds likely to inspire hordes to join.

- Ann

How about a "Poor, poor Betty" support group? :lol:

Edited to add, I just did 30.  19 to go, but I'm done for the day.

I normally only upload up to 20 at a time, most of the time less. Keywording done before uploading, so easier to do once online. 

Jill

Jill, I keyword all of mine in Bridge. But that doesn't keep me from spending hours moving them to the proper boxes and ticking all the other little boxes. I did 30 this afternoon. It took me two hours. And that was only because I hit a batch I could move down into the batch box. Even with those, I had to go back and check each one to make sure the keywords pertained to each.

I have a new method that takes longer. A couple of months ago, when I read threads about how keywords were getting messed up in searches and the way they appeared differently sometimes from the way they were done, I began putting commas back in, like days of old. If I don't have a lot for the main, I simply add commas. If I have loads, spilling

into comprehensive, I put in the commas and take out the spaces, so I can get more into the more relevant box. That causes me to spend way more time on them. I also sparingly use quotes.

But I'm rewarded with my phrases staying together, no others running as one long word when there should be two or three, and my CTR has soared. As much as 3X what it was.

Downside is all that work is making me nuts with this humongous upload.

Ed

What is the problem with an iPad that does not have a sim card? 

I have the mini-iPad configured like this and it is far from useless! Easy connection via WI-FI or as I have just done for the past three days using my iPhone, not sure what your problem is?

Betty there is some software for keywording images which is supposed (supposed because I have not used it) to put keywords into the correct boxes for Alamy. You enter words and it will add others that are supposedly related to the image for you thus bulking up or filling the keyword boxes with similars.

It has been discussed here before but I rejected the idea as it possibly adds too many words that are not directly related to the image so you have to spend time finding and deleting those words.

Also if you want to keep it after the free trial download it costs $199.00 US.  There is a demo on their website at A2Z Keywording.

Allan

You might find that you can do a certain amount of batching from similar images already on sale. I find cut-and-paste with MI2.4 quite straightforward if you have two or three MI tabs open simultaneously, but then I do use two monitors.

Betty there is some software for keywording images which is supposed (supposed because I have not used it) to put keywords into the correct boxes for Alamy. You enter words and it will add others that are supposedly related to the image for you thus bulking up or filling the keyword boxes with similars.

It has been discussed here before but I rejected the idea as it possibly adds too many words that are not directly related to the image so you have to spend time finding and deleting those words.

Also if you want to keep it after the free trial download it costs $199.00 US.  There is a demo on their website at A2Z Keywording.

Allan

Yes, I did read about this. It didn't spark my interest, either. I would still have to delete and put commas in, and take out spaces. That is what eats up the most time. Once I get that done, it's pretty straightforward to copy and paste into the boxes.

Mark, I keyword them before uploading, and use templates for subjects I encounter frequently. That is a tremendous help. For instance, I apply the "blue jay" template in Bridge and all of the basic keywords are there. Then I add particulars to that specific image.

I don't mind Key wording, I kind of lose myself in it, always do it in manage images, never before upload. I'll normally upload 20 to 30 images at a time, sometimes more.

Used to sit and plough through all the images in one evening. Nowadays, I'll do 6, 10, maybe 15 and then walk away. They're always there the next day. I actually prefer to keep a backlog, I find that it keeps me in the zone, as it were!

Archived