Anyone else struggling or is it just me this month

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I don't get the possible connection of uploading frequency to sales.  Are you saying that if you upload infrequently, your photos get pushed back from the first page of views?  That doesn't really make sense to me.  If your images sell well, it would be to the best interest for Alamy to get them closer to the top of the heap for buyers to look at regardless of when you last uploaded.  But what do I know? I am wrong about a lot of things.

Agree with you, can't see the connection,  just sold 3 this month ( tiny portfolio ) after having 8 months away with other commitments etc. Although this latest improvement has given me a motivational boost. 

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I haven't uploaded anything since my Polynesia trip two months ago. I had a cataract op on Tuesday, I need my new eyes to be fully operational again.

I had an intra ocular lens replacement a week apart in each eye. It was incredible to see the difference: one eye with a tobacco filter like, the new one bright (almost high key) white and beautiful crisp blues. It was disconcerting to see sub-titles/captions double on TV for a while. I dread to look at my portfolio and realise that I pushed the saturation slider to the right way too much!

Hey Gen,

Wow, congrats, sounds like it went ok. Glaucoma in my family, so potentially that to look forward to when I'm older.

Portfolio looks fine, maybe a couple of images with really intense reds, but nothing to worry about. And most of your portfolio is somewhere where the colours are more saturated anyway (compared to grey UK!) and are landscapes, which I think benefit from a bit more saturation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I don't get the possible connection of uploading frequency to sales.  Are you saying that if you upload infrequently, your photos get pushed back from the first page of views? 

This:

3 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

In the past it was suggested that upload frequency was one of the factors that Alamy used to calculate a contractor's rank, and there has been some anecdotal/circumstantial evidence to support that theory

Plus I guess everyone's images get dated after a few years...

But indeed, who knows. This is the first year increasing my portfolio size isn't causing a corresponding increase in sales, so I may concentrate more on the painting moving forward.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I had that done (both eyes) two years ago. The new lenses do indeed make a big difference. I actually found the brightness of colours a bit disconcerting at first, having gotten used to seeing the world through a warming filter. Recently, vision in one of my eyes started to get blurry and sensitive to glare, so I went back to see the surgeon. He zapped some wayward cells that had developed behind the lens with a laser, and everything is fine now. This is something to keep in mind if you find your eyesight starts to deteriorate again. It's an easy fix.

Thank you for the tip John. It was amazing how quick and easy the procedure was. We are so lucky to have access to this level of medical care. I keep thinking of third world countries. A small procedure making such a difference to quality of life. And I only had mild cataract. The surgeon didn't think it was quite imperative to have the op yet but photography made me do it. No regrets!

• Love 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hey Gen,

Wow, congrats, sounds like it went ok. Glaucoma in my family, so potentially that to look forward to when I'm older.

Portfolio looks fine, maybe a couple of images with really intense reds, but nothing to worry about. And most of your portfolio is somewhere where the colours are more saturated anyway (compared to grey UK!) and are landscapes, which I think benefit from a bit more saturation.

Thank you so much for your re-assuring statement about saturation. I do like punchy colours and I'm spoiled in Australia: red dust, turquoise seas, blue skies, orange rocks and cliffs, pink lakes. Sometimes it's difficult to believe it's real, even for us.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

I would not call it a struggle yet, but slow month so far. Below average for sales and prices. Historically (since 2018), if I plot my results in a graph, the growth of my sales volume has been superior to the growth of my portfolio, so I'm hopeful the second half of the month will bring good news. I have not identified a correlation between upload frequency and sales volume.

Edited by Rubens Alarcon

19 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you for the tip John. It was amazing how quick and easy the procedure was. We are so lucky to have access to this level of medical care. I keep thinking of third world countries. A small procedure making such a difference to quality of life. And I only had mild cataract. The surgeon didn't think it was quite imperative to have the op yet but photography made me do it. No regrets!

Yes, I too could have waited a while longer, but I figured it was better to have it done sooner rather than later given that the procedure is covered here in Canada. I did shell out some extra cash for premium lenses, though. No regrets either.

Yes, way down on my average. Currently on less than half of a month's typical total value with not many days to go. Zooms have crashed too.

9 14 for $211 $239so far.  Most of my sales tend to come in during the last few days of the month so fairly normal so far.  Mind you, zooms down on normal this past week.

Edited by John Richmond
Updated values

23 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Very slow for me too, especially by contrast with an excellent June. Sales often pick up in the last few days of the month, though.

Alex

Ditto. Exactly where I'm at.

Poor month after two reasonable months.

May     7 sales  1,870 views  8 zooms

June   4 sales  1,827 views   1 zoom       (one good sale $$$)

July    1  sale    1439  views  2 zooms

Allan

• Like 1

On 17/07/2024 at 12:56, John Mitchell said:

I had that done (both eyes) two years ago. The new lenses do indeed make a big difference. I actually found the brightness of colours a bit disconcerting at first, having gotten used to seeing the world through a warming filter. Recently, vision in one of my eyes started to get blurry and sensitive to glare, so I went back to see the surgeon. He zapped some wayward cells that had developed behind the lens with a laser, and everything is fine now. This is something to keep in mind if you find your eyesight starts to deteriorate again. It's an easy fix.

Yes, over here that’s called a secondary cataract.  The front of the lens & inside material is removed in cataract surgery. The back “skin” of the lens capsule is left for stability.

occasionally, that part that was left clouds up & all it takes is a zap of the laser to burn a hole in the part that needs to be seen through, leaving the rest in place. Easy Peasy.

So far, 7 years post op, mine are fine, but my sister had hers done a week or two after I did & had a secondary cataract develop in one eye which was fixed.

I saw my optometrist this week and I have cataracts but one of my eyes tests as almost normal with the other only affected a bit. She said they can grow slowly or just all at once so if I start seeing my vision diminish I should come right in and not wait for my yearly check-up. I was near-sighted when I was young so my eyesight has improved enormously. I only need drugstore glasses for reading and the computer.

Paulette

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, over here that’s called a secondary cataract.  The front of the lens & inside material is removed in cataract surgery. The back “skin” of the lens capsule is left for stability.

occasionally, that part that was left clouds up & all it takes is a zap of the laser to burn a hole in the part that needs to be seen through, leaving the rest in place. Easy Peasy.

So far, 7 years post op, mine are fine, but my sister had hers done a week or two after I did & had a secondary cataract develop in one eye which was fixed.

Thanks, Doc. My surgeon didn't use the term "secondary cataract", but that's what it sounds like. The whole zapping procedure took only a few minutes. I had some strange black, bug-like "floaters" afterwards, but they've cleared up.

On 17/07/2024 at 04:17, David eastley said:

Is there a general issue or is it just my turn for a bad month ? It does seem rather terrible.

Not here.  Not now.

100+ licenses with ?6? business days pending.

$600 gross license 2 days ago, so Jul 2024 $$ should be above average.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, rickygui said:

Is 10 Aug, not a single sale is updated, as compared to the last 7 months where at least one sale is made within 10 days. 

Only 1 here, after a very meh July. Things seem to have slowed right down for me.

I'm afraid since PA became involved my sales are just declining in a pretty rapid manner even though I am submitting regularly. I submit to two other sites where I currently have fewer photos uploaded and Alamy is now below both of these sites in terms of annual revenue. From my perspective it's an amazing fall from grace for Alamy who used to be at the very top of my revenue stream.