When We Were Young

5 hours ago, sooth said:

Your website disallows hotlinking of images from other domains. You have to drop a .htaccess file into the directory containing the images you want to display allowing discussion.alamy.com to bypass this

Still doesn't work :(

Oh well here's a link instead: Burg Eltz 1981 with my ex-wife.

http://www.alanwrigley.com/eltz/gy26.jpg

Alan

• Love 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

I spent many years in aviation, including a glider pilot, today I only photograph amateurs!

I piloted a glider once. It was a new thing to try but wasn't for me. Too slow.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I piloted a glider once. It was a new thing to try but wasn't for me. Too slow.

Me also, I quite enjoyed it but it was noisier than I had anticipated while the waiting around on the ground wasn't great. Our sailing club arranged a swap with a gliding club, we took them dinghy sailing on the sea and they us gliding. I remember they were great with our young son, giving him rides on their tractor. I have a photo somewhere.

• Love 1

The first 2 in the blue outfit I was around 23 or so. Bouffant hair. I had 3 children by then. The last one, 20 or so years later, shoulder pads, lightened hair and I was a grandma called Mimi.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ha38wjc0lwtju/_DSF1249a.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu1c3378gambwoq/_DSF1254a.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylixa7lsytwbwdv/_DSF1253a.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The first 2 in the blue outfit I was around 23 or so. Bouffant hair. I had 3 children by then. The last one, 20 or so years later, shoulder pads, lightened hair and I was a grandma called Mimi.

At 43 my oldest kid was 6 and the youngest 3.  I was late to the parenting world.

Jill

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I too started parenthood a bit later, first child at 35 and second at 38.  This was pretty much the norm among my childhood friends.  Betty, your pics are adorable and you really jumped into parenting early and with both feet and and hands.  I feel it is evident that you have been rewarded with wonderful kids who care a great deal about you and you them!  Aside from losing your husband too soon, you can't ask much more of a better life! Lots more to come for sure!

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I too started parenthood a bit later, first child at 35 and second at 38.  This was pretty much the norm among my childhood friends.  Betty, your pics are adorable and you really jumped into parenting early and with both feet and and hands.  I feel it is evident that you have been rewarded with wonderful kids who care a great deal about you and you them!  Aside from losing your husband too soon, you can't ask much more of a better life! Lots more to come for sure!

Thank you, Michael. 😊 Bob & I grew up with our kids, were very active with them. Fishing, camping, ball games, skiing, horses, water skiing…and when the last was out of the nest I was just a couple of years past 40. I think I was a grandma at 44. Would have been younger, but it was my last child who made me a grandma first! The oldest finished 4 years of college, then settled into teaching for a couple of years before she started a family. Jeff married before he finished college then got his masters while parenting. Kim, the youngest, got an Associate’s, married and started her family.

And yes, I do know I am blessed with my three wonderful children who see to any needs I have that I can’t take care of myself. Proof was how they took care of me after the back surgery from hell.
Jeff lives 3 minutes away. He brought me about 10 fresh-grilled pork chops last week. What’s left is in my freezer. Last Saturday, he took me to see the movie “The Jesus Revolution “. Bought me popcorn & a drink, then took me to dinner after.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

Did you have to give her half of the castle?

I tried but I think it was my poor German accent that convinced them that I wasn't the real owner.

Alan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 02:45, Rico said:

No, it was my brother-in law's Triumph Bonneville. I don't think Hondas were very good or popular back then.

Recognised the Bonnie. The h/bars gave it away. 😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Recognised the Bonnie. The h/bars gave it away. 😎

Since the photo was taken 48 years ago with my brother-in law's bike, it took me a few minutes to remember the type of motorcycle it was. Thanks for the confirmation.

Hah! Not senile yet.

Good times for sure. RIP Gord

Edited by Rico

On 03/03/2023 at 18:04, Jill Morgan said:

At 43 my oldest kid was 6 and the youngest 3.  I was late to the parenting world.

Jill

I was just thinking along those lines too - When I was 40 my daughter was 6. Though I did become a grandmother at 59 - much younger than I imagined since my daughter, then age 25, was still in grad school at the time.

On the plus side I travelled more in my 20s than during the entire rest of my life. 

Me at age 32 on my wedding day - half my life ago! 

16798_981677105181766_783628488887677783

• Love 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I found my old Italian press card from the 1960s. Why do I always look uncomfortable in photos? I'm not a moody or  unhappy person, honest. 

photographer-ed-rooney-italian-press-car

Ed, that looks so much like a WW2 agent's fake ID it's not true.

Are you sure you weren't under deep cover somewhere really dangerous?

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Ed, that looks so much like a WW2 agent's fake ID it's not true.

Are you sure you weren't under deep cover somewhere really dangerous?

I lived in Trastevere, not really that dangerous. But I was a PJ in Vietnam with that ID.