When We Were Young

1 hour ago, Rico said:

No, it was my brother-in law's Triumph Bonneville. I don't think Hondas were very good or popular back then.

I should have recognized the Bonneville. My first bike was a Honda 305, but I graduated to a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, which was much more fun to ride. I don't even have a picture of the Triumph now, but I still miss it.

Ah, the wild days...🏍️

Marianne-childhood-photo-e1527893380268.

I was 7 but it's the only youthful photo of me online since I was middle aged by the time digital cameras came of age. Besides, it's the perfect youthful image for this forum,  I think. That's my second camera, a gift for my 7th birthday, when the old Brownie camera my grandmother had passed down to me jammed. My dad took this in the summer of 1965 with the Yashica 35mm rangefinder I inherited in high school. That's one of my younger sisters next to me and strangers looking on. On Cape Cod, still my favorite place to photograph. 

• Love 6
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

But . . . I don't see any photo, Allan.

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

It doesn't work Allan. Try Imgbb.

12 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not opening for me Allan

Back again.

Allan

52721257979_c05dbf5bec_b.jpg

This was taken in 1977. I’m on the right, 17yrs old, with my pal Nigel. We were working (underage) as part time Barmen in a local function hall, scraping money together for a holiday that summer in Lloret Del Mar, Spain. Me and Nigel still live in the same little town, near Bristol and are still pals. Good times 🙂

• Love 4
  • Like 3

OK, last one I promise.

Me and the crew working at the cadet camp in Banff for the summer of 1972. The funny thing is that I actually did join a small tent circus the next year for a few months.

All the money in the world couldn't buy back those days.

a-group-of-young-men-clowning-around-for-no-particular-reason-in-1972-2HN1P2A.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Can anyone tell me why my links don't open the photo itself? I used imgbb and a link to Facebook?

Hi Gen,

I tried all sorts and then put the image into my Flickr account (that’s gathering dust these days) and copied a link from there. I put the link straight into the text box and then the forum gave me the option to embed the image. That’s all using an iPad, I know my laptop doesn’t always offer me the same options for copying and pasting images. Hope that helps 🙂

• Like 1

young man twenty 20 years old standing in street holding can of skol lager with clothes and hairstyle fashionable early 1980s york england uk Stock Photo

Works day trip to York, still an apprentice, 1978 ! Taken with my first ever 35mm camera, Zorki 4 mounted on a spindly tripod, self timer ...

Edited by Martyn
Item added
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hi Gen,

I tried all sorts and then put the image into my Flickr account (that’s gathering dust these days) and copied a link from there. I put the link straight into the text box and then the forum gave me the option to embed the image. That’s all using an iPad, I know my laptop doesn’t always offer me the same options for copying and pasting images. Hope that helps 🙂

Thanks for that Steve. My keyboard is worn out trying different things. The only thing that worked was to botch the dropbox link created, as per Dr. Google (replace dl=0 by raw=1).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thanks for that Steve. My keyboard is worn out trying different things. The only thing that worked was to botch the dropbox link created, as per Dr. Google (replace dl=0 by raw=1).

Hi Gen, is it a pic from your Facebook page?  If so, you can tell me which one, maybe via Messenger, I can make a link that you can use to drop it in this forum.

20 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Hi Gen, is it a pic from your Facebook page?  If so, you can tell me which one, maybe via Messenger, I can make a link that you can use to drop it in this forum.

Thank you for your help offer Michael, they are showing now using the workaround above.

I didn't particularly want to send people to my Facebook page which is also in French and Brazilian portuguese in any case, so I called up the photo on the screen, took a screenshot, uploaded it to Dropbox and botched the URL. Determined or what!?

• Love 1

Seems every pic I found of myself (outside of wedding photos) I was either on a horse, a tractor or dressed in farm attire.

Me at 22 in 1977.  I'm the blond in the coveralls and plaid shirt.

JILL AND RACHEL-PIGGY'S PARM XMAS PARTY 1977

Me at 33 in 1988

Jill on Max

• Love 3
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Marianne said:

Marianne-childhood-photo-e1527893380268.

I was 7 but it's the only youthful photo of me online since I was middle aged by the time digital cameras came of age. Besides, it's the perfect youthful image for this forum,  I think. That's my second camera, a gift for my 7th birthday, when the old Brownie camera my grandmother had passed down to me jammed. My dad took this in the summer of 1965 with the Yashica 35mm rangefinder I inherited in high school. That's one of my younger sisters next to me and strangers looking on. On Cape Cod, still my favorite place to photograph. 

I had a Brownie way back when.  Loved it.

Jill

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

It got me hooked as a 6-year-old lol so I loved it too. Which is why when it broke right before my birthday, I soon got the one hanging around my neck in this pic. I have some great travel pix my grandmother took from all around the world on that Brownie. Have one of her on a camel in front of the Great Pyramid circa 1964 on the desk in my office, taken when she was a year older than I am now. It's my inspiration. I haven't traveled nearly as far as she did on her NYC teacher's pension. Furthest I've ever been so far is Hawaii - she took me there when I was 13 - it was her 2nd trip. She'd been to 49 states when she died, all but Idaho. I've got a lot of catching up to do. 

Love that horse. Seems an ideal childhood/youth to be constantly on horseback. I grew up in the Bronx and my favorite vacation as a kid was the summer I was 9 when we spent two weeks on a dairy farm in Pennsylvania - it was just so drastically different than anything I'd experienced before (no horses, sadly).

Though I grew up in NYC, it was a funky corner of the Bronx called City Island, a tiny island in Long Island Sound known for great seafood restaurants and boat building back then, hence my affinity for the beach, but there wasn't a lot of green space. Even my grammar school's playground was completely blacktop with a few basketball hoops at one end, though it backed up to the beach on the other side of a tall fence. Bouncing a "spall-deen" (Spaulding) against the brick walls was a common passtime. Hands up for those who remember them? 

Fun idea Michael. It's been great seeing everyone's photos - though some of you were certainly child brides and grooms! You all look so young! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marianne said:

It got me hooked as a 6-year-old lol so I loved it too. Which is why when it broke right before my birthday, I soon got the one hanging around my neck in this pic. I have some great travel pix my grandmother took from all around the world on that Brownie. Have one of her on a camel in front of the Great Pyramid circa 1964 on the desk in my office, taken when she was a year older than I am now. It's my inspiration. I haven't traveled nearly as far as she did on her NYC teacher's pension. Furthest I've ever been so far is Hawaii - she took me there when I was 13 - it was her 2nd trip. She'd been to 49 states when she died, all but Idaho. I've got a lot of catching up to do. 

Love that horse. Seems an ideal childhood/youth to be constantly on horseback. I grew up in the Bronx and my favorite vacation as a kid was the summer I was 9 when we spent two weeks on a dairy farm in Pennsylvania - it was just so drastically different than anything I'd experienced before (no horses, sadly).

Though I grew up in NYC, it was a funky corner of the Bronx called City Island, a tiny island in Long Island Sound known for great seafood restaurants and boat building back then, hence my affinity for the beach, but there wasn't a lot of green space. Even my grammar school's playground was completely blacktop with a few basketball hoops at one end, though it backed up to the beach on the other side of a tall fence. Bouncing a "spall-deen" (Spaulding) against the brick walls was a common passtime. Hands up for those who remember them? 

Fun idea Michael. It's been great seeing everyone's photos - though some of you were certainly child brides and grooms! You all look so young! 

I actually spent all my childhood and up till my mid-twenties living in Toronto. City born and raised. Always a horse nut, my parents bought me one for Christmas when I was 17.  I had to board it out and do extra work at home for my parents to pay the board.  I took over all the costs when I started working. Added another horse (an Arabian) a few years later.  Figured the boarding cost was killing me so rented a farm and have never looked back since then.  Spent years as a farm manager for a thoroughbred breeding operation. Loved foaling time. That's one of the thoroughbreds I'm on in the pic. Then ended up renting the farm from the woman I had worked for.  Ran my own horse boarding and training business. When I got married, bought a farm and only have one horse now whom I have had for 23 years (he is 25) and never had time to break or train him. He biggest problem in life is deciding which field has the better grass.

Sounds like your Grandmother was quite a girl.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

It was a Brownie that got me into photography - a present for my 14th birthday. I've never looked back.

I still have the Brownie. It's in good condition so I guess I could still use it if I wanted to. I also have my parents' Brownie but that's in worse condition.

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin

4 hours ago, Marianne said:

I married at 23 which was about the norm in France those days. The first photo is 10 years later, single mother. The beginning of an exciting life of travel and adventure.

On that particular trek, we didn't know what we were doing. Although it was sunny on the photo, the weather changed that day and it started raining heavily. As we hiked through the Bush, we came across several large snakes curled up right in the way. I had no knowledge of snake species. I told my boyfriend, I'm going to walk to their left, keep an eye on them, tell me what they're doing. He followed. So what are they doing? I can't see them was the reply. He was so terrified that he wasn't looking...

We set up the tent in the middle of nowhere. In the morning, we heard noises around us. I unzipped the tent to be confronted with a flock of curious sheep. Those were the days!!

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

I called up the photo on the screen, took a screenshot, uploaded it to Dropbox and botched the URL. Determined or what!?

I still can't get anything to work for me. I don't use Dropbox but I put pictures on my own VPS server. The image is a perfectly valid JPEG and shows up just fine on my own page but putting the URL into the forum box flatly refuses to work. I just don't get it.

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inchiquin said:

I still can't get anything to work for me. I don't use Dropbox but I put pictures on my own VPS server. The image is a perfectly valid JPEG and shows up just fine on my own page but putting the URL into the forum box flatly refuses to work. I just don't get it.

Alan

Exactly. I've Googled and Googled until bored to death. I read different things, tried them all. No luck until the workaround I described. Why is it necessary? Don't know but I won't spend any more time on this.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, gvallee said:

We set up the tent in the middle of nowhere. In the morning, we heard noises around us. I unzipped the tent to be confronted with a flock of curious sheep. Those were the days!!

Indeed they were. The strangest thing that happened to me while camping was in Morocco in 1970. A stray cat came into the tent in the middle of the night. I put her out again several times but she kept coming back. Then I realised why. She proceeded to give birth on my sleeping bag to 6 kittens and one dead one which she promptly ate along with the placenta.

Alan

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Indeed they were. The strangest thing that happened to me while camping was in Morocco in 1970. A stray cat came into the tent in the middle of the night. I put her out again several times but she kept coming back. Then I realised why. She proceeded to give birth on my sleeping bag to 6 kittens and one dead one which she promptly ate along with the placenta.

Alan

🤣🤣😂 Terrific story!! Perhaps we should start a thread with great stories that happened to us? 

9 hours ago, Dave Nelson said:

Relaxing in my office on a US Navy cargo ship in 1967, age 22, in the South China Sea of the coast of Vietnam.  Back then I was using an Asahi Pentax H1a, sending film out for processing.

p.jpeg

Photo gone just like mine.

Allan