When We Were Young

The other time I was starstruck was when I was working in Manchester and we invited Ian McKellen to speak at a rally on lesbian and gay rights. I was in my office and security rang to say Ian was waiting for me at the door. Gandalf and Magneto are waiting for me. I got there quicktime.  

• Love 4
  • Like 1

On 14/03/2023 at 22:58, Betty LaRue said:

Where are the young pictures of the rest of you? Post ‘em. Surely you all are good-looking enough that you don’t need to tie pork chops around your neck to get your dog to play with you.

Ok ok

Ca 1976-77 on my own old cargo bike in front of our house in Utrecht.

Ca 1984 in my front room in Enschede. Invitation for a party with a friend. We sent out around 100 slightly different slides as the invitation. This is one of those.

2007 in DC with my mother.

wim

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 5

On 04/03/2023 at 21:07, Betty LaRue said:

Everyone posting is so good-looking!

I can fix that, though the image is far from old:

festival-goers-crowd-fantasia-maldon-essex-clarissa-debenham-alamy-2GB5MEH.jpg

I do wonder how many contributors are available for purchase on the Alamy database.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Ok ok

Ca 1984 in my front room in Enschede. Invitation for a party with a friend. We sent out around 100 slightly different slides as the invitation. This is one of those.

wim

5 geenies!! The undisputed heartthrob!!

47 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I do wonder how many contributors are available for purchase on the Alamy database.

There's at least one of me. There could be more but I can't be bothered looking for them.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-man-sitting-on-bench-on-the-edge-of-the-marshes-with-cley-windmill-40168224.html?imageid=64E48B7B-C6A4-442C-BDD9-B042C78B8ECF

Alan

• Love 1

17 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Ok ok

wim

Love these wim! You devil, you!

9 hours ago, Avpics said:

I can fix that, though the image is far from old:

festival-goers-crowd-fantasia-maldon-essex-clarissa-debenham-alamy-2GB5MEH.jpg

Love the ponytail but put the darned camera down, please. It’s hiding your face! 😅

Here's a funny celeb story about two very famous people . . . I never met.

I grew up in Brooklyn in an area called Cobble Hill. My family home was on Congress Street. My father was the district's Congressman. He held office in the US Congress for 30 years, a Democrat. The Congressman before him lived next door, and he was in Congress for 24 years. That's 54 years of Congressmen living on Congress Street. 

The celebs? Winston Churchill's mother was born just two blocks from me. Did you know she was an American? Recently, Daniel Craig (James Bond) and his lovely wife, Rachel Weisz, bought a home in Cobble Hill, also two blocks from Congress Street.

Edo

• Love 1
  • Like 2

On 17/03/2023 at 08:47, Avpics said:

A rare hatless shot of me lowering a water lily plant into our pond - fortunately I didn't fall in and no frogs were injured in taking this photo

a-man-lowers-a-water-lily-container-into

• Love 4
  • Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 09:39, Inchiquin said:

There's at least one of me. There could be more but I can't be bothered looking for them.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-man-sitting-on-bench-on-the-edge-of-the-marshes-with-cley-windmill-40168224.html?imageid=64E48B7B-C6A4-442C-BDD9-B042C78B8ECF

Alan

I was thinking more unknowingly, perhaps by photographers you may not even know. I suspect many of the London news shooters will have been caught in pixel crossfire in busy situations.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

I was thinking more unknowingly, perhaps by photographers you may not even know. I suspect many of the London news shooters will have been caught in pixel crossfire in busy situations.

Google Street View?

Not when we were young though.

That's me in Amsterdam in September 2010: https://goo.gl/maps/hTaJ8uFC5fsgqTuF7

wim

• Love 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

How fun and great that the camera you are holding, eliminated the need to blur your face/head

Haha!

No wonder, it's the big Canon DSHummer2 or 3.

wim

edit: the hat is still blurred. Would you recognize it? Of course you would. It's the Halloween edition btw.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Avpics said:

I was thinking more unknowingly, perhaps by photographers you may not even know.

Well I spotted a video on YouTube yesterday that showed me taking my own video of the same event.

Alan

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 18:26, Betty LaRue said:

Love the ponytail but put the darned camera down, please. It’s hiding your face! 😅

I don't have anything ancient scanned in, so can only offer a relatively old digital image. A few weeks ago I travelled down to New Zealand for the wedding of our youngest bridesmaid, here standing in front of me for our own wedding pictures. The official photographer was using film, with this being one of my first contacts with the new-fangled digital format as used by a guest. My wonderful better half made all of the bridesmaid's dresses, their hair bands, bouquets, the men's matching waistcoats and bowties, plus the table centrepieces and assorted gifts and details for the meal and reception.

8IzunVzVWtMqHKS4UkqNlLYC2CReiyQyX1751mHfYEyqCzGOK31rSUjG0ldhm2JZnPZRmiqB72Cm6PjoWBFSeiNr-Uf4gV0hJrcfdyVlngp423s42qV6yTaX6V2ozeeMbTZ_8y3e3bRJoKVCKH_7Kyy3M6Nm5tLRN_iAAX4vmIS7Y9fIlqKLp4T2O0-Qcwa4-mdKERtZFvdL1ikstoMlMxC7Lq4haOYT8pMsuGAY9wQY3vi-cHH4NXKjLmD55lUXNvFEpEyelknHFwyUTSz5vDZhrDh88JAf2uohA-Up4Te6SbcYS3sixU9D_sJX83enTSrFX2RP4PbC56fv7VIjO8z9Imy4Isi0OhUH14chCQAYRPvS2pmL7FDJ0Z5C33LNuVSNPHM9LJJcFwDjaDEkVqpSKwNjPEeZpScaXXz8LnxYNXdKa_sRaGKy2OGdcy3VPeRPUCBWa8UPCWRkr-3SDNf_HnQmi_-0ugFiqihdBTKOEYPi6YvUzOy0_bXaKHEJqMTNlWLnMJ9kiC9KkPhmrdEicviMpO3R86SzGBbWTOHAGSP6YFbNuT3-8Un7m77wef4VmdTjjiD984f_IyWZYiXAjSAGL4ipWH9hQrtkLmA65YPNIssDN5UbO5D1KzJwGcbij_167Y-7GeoaP6r4vohy0F3AddoOK2A1p37CMH4Duywh9I5v2gCV2YpiN4rPMSj4mQ33OfN0jNYSOVyp5ZrGwZKywvkmmZNuf10sabg2fRw-ko02N3z8vtHye8A9qD1MAiawZ5UdXFLXj_V_6XsfNO4wAU1pD0UTJj_mA_6vNdJjktO5611HeYJ1uiHJd5qxjO7fTS1IcX58HIdjtjbGGibFz_zRX_i2SJ6mnav0mgX7mI0BxIRqEWuWF3FQpXB5-QJbOkRumgC6wNzPzBEmKJHWIPYzi5Vu8mn1rBaM=w1009-h757-s-no?authuser=0

Edited by Avpics
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Avpics said:

I don't have anything ancient scanned in, so can only offer a relatively old digital image. A few weeks ago I travelled down to New Zealand for the wedding of our youngest bridesmaid, here standing in front of me for our own wedding pictures. The official photographer was using film, with this being one of my first contacts with the new-fangled digital format as used by a guest. My wonderful better half made all of the bridesmaid's dresses, their hair bands, bouquets, the men's matching waistcoats and bowties, plus the table centrepieces and assorted gifts and details for the meal and reception.

8IzunVzVWtMqHKS4UkqNlLYC2CReiyQyX1751mHfYEyqCzGOK31rSUjG0ldhm2JZnPZRmiqB72Cm6PjoWBFSeiNr-Uf4gV0hJrcfdyVlngp423s42qV6yTaX6V2ozeeMbTZ_8y3e3bRJoKVCKH_7Kyy3M6Nm5tLRN_iAAX4vmIS7Y9fIlqKLp4T2O0-Qcwa4-mdKERtZFvdL1ikstoMlMxC7Lq4haOYT8pMsuGAY9wQY3vi-cHH4NXKjLmD55lUXNvFEpEyelknHFwyUTSz5vDZhrDh88JAf2uohA-Up4Te6SbcYS3sixU9D_sJX83enTSrFX2RP4PbC56fv7VIjO8z9Imy4Isi0OhUH14chCQAYRPvS2pmL7FDJ0Z5C33LNuVSNPHM9LJJcFwDjaDEkVqpSKwNjPEeZpScaXXz8LnxYNXdKa_sRaGKy2OGdcy3VPeRPUCBWa8UPCWRkr-3SDNf_HnQmi_-0ugFiqihdBTKOEYPi6YvUzOy0_bXaKHEJqMTNlWLnMJ9kiC9KkPhmrdEicviMpO3R86SzGBbWTOHAGSP6YFbNuT3-8Un7m77wef4VmdTjjiD984f_IyWZYiXAjSAGL4ipWH9hQrtkLmA65YPNIssDN5UbO5D1KzJwGcbij_167Y-7GeoaP6r4vohy0F3AddoOK2A1p37CMH4Duywh9I5v2gCV2YpiN4rPMSj4mQ33OfN0jNYSOVyp5ZrGwZKywvkmmZNuf10sabg2fRw-ko02N3z8vtHye8A9qD1MAiawZ5UdXFLXj_V_6XsfNO4wAU1pD0UTJj_mA_6vNdJjktO5611HeYJ1uiHJd5qxjO7fTS1IcX58HIdjtjbGGibFz_zRX_i2SJ6mnav0mgX7mI0BxIRqEWuWF3FQpXB5-QJbOkRumgC6wNzPzBEmKJHWIPYzi5Vu8mn1rBaM=w1009-h757-s-no?authuser=0

broken link