September 2022 Challenge "Fear and Danger"

Michael Ventura

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

These are looking really good!!! Keep em coming! I am sorry that some feel they don't have anything that will work for this month's subject.  Fear, danger and scary can be a lot of things, I am open to creative interpretation.

at first i actually didn't think i would have any.  but then i found a few, including this one i didn't submit...  

2D892XX.jpg

nothing scarier than a clown.  but decided to go with more off centre interpretation.  

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

These are looking really good!!! Keep em coming! I am sorry that some feel they don't have anything that will work for this month's subject.  Fear, danger and scary can be a lot of things, I am open to creative interpretation.

Michael, it’s a good subject. Each of us can’t always think we must have something in our port that fits the challenge. And I dragged out entries after all, just took some serious digging and thinking of search keywords. I don’t ever expect to make the final, (would probably pass out if I did) I just enjoy participating. And I think it’s fun to trying to mine images out of my port. I like your challenge so quit worrying!

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

No, Bogie did. Bogie was the dasher/slasher, my big toe remembers that fact well. Bless his heart, I miss him in spite of it.

Bogie was like having a small alligator in the house. But I thought Echo was chasing your son around? 

And I agree -- this is a good subject. It just takes a bit of thinking and digging. I found three I will post today.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Bogie was like having a small alligator in the house. But I thought Echo was chasing your son around? 

And I agree -- this is a good subject. It just takes a bit of thinking and digging. I found three I will post today.

I don’t think she chased him, but might’ve if she’d had a chance. He’s the only person in her life that she doesn’t like. And it’s because he didn’t like her first and she senses it. So she’s in self-protective mode around himTwo of my three kids have always been afraid to handle her, although my one daughter who is afraid sweet talks Echo, and Echo coos back at her and would go to her willingly. The other daughter is not afraid and handles her easily.  It’s the people, not the bird. With Bogie, it was the bird. No matter how sweet one was with him, he’d attack out of the blue. Male testosterone, I guess.

• Like 1

somebody brought to illustrate an article about somebody falling into a deep trench in the middle of a nyc sidewalk.

a-danger-hollow-sidewalk-sign-found-in-the-soho-neighborhood-of-new-york-city-2A94W4T.jpg

when politicians say they want to build miles of bike lanes for political points, this iswhat they mean. no thanks.

bicycling-in-america-KBTBBF.jpg

a-person-contemplates-how-to-cross-an-ankle-deep-puddle-of-dirty-slush-water-at-a-crosswalk-in-new-york-ny-2E129EB.jpg

Edited by sooth

Well it has to be spiders for me. I'm quite arachnophobic despite being a dedicated natural history lover. 

Firstly, Nursery Web Spider with egg sac - I shot this with a 180mm macro so I did have a bit of working distance. Despite the spider filling the frame, while shooting the aspects of photography took over, light, composition, geometry. Editing and processing on the computer afterwards really creeped me out tho, checking sharpness and dust spotting at 100%.

AC7JRK.jpg

Second, on another occasion I conquered my fear, evicting this fearsome beast from my daughter's house...

CWWP9K.jpg

Thirdly, this was what I came face to face with when checking my well. Yikes. But it licenced recently so all is forgiven!

J55NYN.jpg

Tricky one this, not too many crocodiles in these parts ! However,

1) Couple getting too close to the weir in the river Wear, Durham.  Fnd out what happened in the next episode.

young-couple-in-a-rowing-boat-stuck-at-a

2) Photographers taking a risk at the seaside (crackers actually !)

people-avoidiing-waves-breaking-over-the

3) Dodgy business this rapper dancing, I was once asked to join a side but had no difficulty in refusing.

black-swan-rapper-dancer-falls-while-tum

Edited by Bryan

My three:

Defensive street barricades built out of fear of looting and attacks from police., Nicaragua 2018.2J00AY8.jpg

Cats sparring:

2HJA603.jpg

An invasive millipede species, Orthomorpha or  Asiomorpha coartata, crawls on a man's hand in a forest near Sebaco, Nicaragua

2HJA4RH.jpg

Edited by Rebecca Ore
  • Like 1

Fire

chappaqua-ny-april-11-2014-firefighters-

Height

us-coast-guard-cadets-furl-the-sails-on-

Wild Animals

notice-warning-sign-about-the-danger-of-

Great concept Michael & congrats on your win! Squeaking in under the deadline here. Some tough competition here. I have so many hurricane, flood, fallen trees, & power lines  but with hurricane season upon us, thought I'd take a different tack (wink wink on the ship). Lots of scary stuff out there even pre-Covid. 

• Love 1