September 2022 Challenge "Fear and Danger"

Michael Ventura

Don't know why this topic came to mind, maybe it was all the talk, in another thread, about mule rides down steep cliffs. But have no fear, I think there is something for everyone.  I would like to see photos (up to 3 and must be on sale at Alamy) of anything that induces fear and/or danger.  It could be activities that people do, dangerous things, scary animals or insects...shock me with your photos!  Here are some examples I had.

usa-hershey-pa-pennsylvania-hershey-park

jeep-cherokee-4x4-four-wheel-drive-awd-o

usa-louisiana-la-cajun-country-wild-amer

usa-michigan-mackinac-island-lake-huron-

parasailing-adventures-woman-colorful-pa

• Love 3

Good one, Michael. I loved the guitar image.

Here are my three dangerous offerings.

Is the photographer on the lunch menu?

american-crocodile-crocodylus-acutus-crocodile-lurking-in-lake-coba-C4DMFD.jpg

Sign of the times (unfortunately)

high-forest-fire-danger-sign-on-bowen-island-vancouver-bc-canada-DB6W55.jpg

Taking the plunge in Mazatlán

cliff-diver-at-punta-clavadista-in-mazatlan-sinaloa-mexico-C986GB.jpg

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Composite of a young boy jumping from a jetty into a crocodile mouth

2JYYEDA.jpg

Jumping croc (this is the real thing, not a composite)

2BWRN0K.jpg

Whipscorpion

CBY96C.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2

Just now, NYCat said:

I knew Gen would have some REALLY terrifying images.

Paulette

Ha ha !! 😂 For once, this is a theme where I struggled to select only 3. 😂

Ok, here come some of mine:

A small Salt Water Crocodile:

a-salt-water-crocodile-also-known-as-est

A scary funfair ride:

people-enjoy-the-katherine-show-in-kathe

And a crocodile safety sign on a beach in Darwin Australia:

crocodile-safety-sign-on-east-point-beac

Good luck everyone, I can't wait to see your fears.

😉

Checked my port and no images for Fear. A few for Danger but they are mostly signs. Will probably have to miss this comp. Will look further when I have more time. Good subject though. Might have to concentrate on taking pics around it.

Well done on your win Micheal.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Paulette, do you know what I have in common with those big Alaskan grizzles? We both enjoy Pacific wild salmon. 

Yeah, Betty -- I don't have any scary pics either (with the possible exception of a self-portrait).

Edited by Ed Rooney

Youths enjoying flying chair ride at funfair at Stow cum Quy Cambridgeshire Steam Rally

youths-enjoying-flying-chair-ride-at-funfair-at-stow-cum-quy-cambridgeshire-GNGXEH.jpg

Star flyer ride at Bridlington sea front funfair East Yorkshire

star-flyer-ride-at-bridlington-sea-front-funfair-east-yorkshire-2019-WKJAYJ.jpg

Even Scarier

The HAND reaching for you.

the-hand-2H79GWR.jpg

The two top images scare me.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Three from me, all from the hills where fear and danger are occasionally encountered

a-lady-climber-leaping-a-large-crevasse-

Jumping a crevasse in the Swiss Alps. This was on the fantastic five day traverse of the Monte Rosa massif. It doesn't look much from this picture but the crevasse was very deep and plenty wide enough. I was lucky to get this shot - I was first to jump and so I had to control the rope tension by moving backwards quickly when Helene jumped. The idea being to have as little slack in the rope in the event that she goes into the drop. I focussed on the icicles, had the camera at waist level on its strap and when she jumped I moved smartly back and fired. Three usable shots came out, of which this one is the best. It was a bit overexposed, one of those times you are really happy that you have the RAW file.

a-roped-party-in-the-crevasses-of-glacie

Glacier movement practice in the French Alps. The dangers here are all to real, the ice is hard and brittle. You have to move with great care and with attention to the feet. Its all too easy to forget that you are wearing crampons and trip over your own feet, and hose crevasses are deep. 

figures-of-climbers-pass-a-large-crevass

Again in the Swiss Alps, coming down the trade route on the Allalinhorn after going up the gorgeous Hohlaubgrat. The danger here is that of snow covered crevasses. On snow covered glaciers you have no idea if you are walking over a crevasse, so its best to assume that you are and act accordingly. As in the photo, plenty of rope and as little slack as possible so that the person falling doesn't pull the others off their feet. I went through a crevasse once (only waist deep as it was a narrow slot) and can personally vouch for the fact that you have exactly zero seconds warning and the same amount of time to react. My hair turns grey every time I see people in this kind of terrain with long coils of rope over their arms or the rope puddled between them dragging across the snow. Evenin this image the rope is looser than I would have it in this terrain.

• Love 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Three from me, all from the hills where fear and danger are occasionally encountered

a-lady-climber-leaping-a-large-crevasse-

Jumping a crevasse in the Swiss Alps. This was on the fantastic five day traverse of the Monte Rosa massif. It doesn't look much from this picture but the crevasse was very deep and plenty wide enough. I was lucky to get this shot - I was first to jump and so I had to control the rope tension by moving backwards quickly when Helene jumped. The idea being to have as little slack in the rope in the event that she goes into the drop. I focussed on the icicles, had the camera at waist level on its strap and when she jumped I moved smartly back and fired. Three usable shots came out, of which this one is the best. It was a bit overexposed, one of those times you are really happy that you have the RAW file.

a-roped-party-in-the-crevasses-of-glacie

Glacier movement practice in the French Alps. The dangers here are all to real, the ice is hard and brittle. You have to move with great care and with attention to the feet. Its all too easy to forget that you are wearing crampons and trip over your own feet, and hose crevasses are deep. 

figures-of-climbers-pass-a-large-crevass

Again in the Swiss Alps, coming down the trade route on the Allalinhorn after going up the gorgeous Hohlaubgrat. The danger here is that of snow covered crevasses. On snow covered glaciers you have no idea if you are walking over a crevasse, so its best to assume that you are and act accordingly. As in the photo, plenty of rope and as little slack as possible so that the person falling doesn't pull the others off their feet. I went through a crevasse once (only waist deep as it was a narrow slot) and can personally vouch for the fact that you have exactly zero seconds warning and the same amount of time to react. My hair turns grey every time I see people in this kind of terrain with long coils of rope over their arms or the rope puddled between them dragging across the snow. Evenin this image the rope is looser than I would have it in this terrain.

Colin, these are absolutely stunning! Amazing.

I think the rules should be changed so all 3 make it to the final. If not we’ll make somebody jump a crevasse as punishment.

On 09/09/2022 at 09:37, Ed Rooney said:

Paulette, do you know what I have in common with those big Alaskan grizzles? We both enjoy Pacific wild salmon. 

Yeah, Betty -- I don't have any scary pics either (with the possible exception of a self-portrait).

I have a couple of alligators but they can’t beat Gen’s.

• Like 1