Nikon DSLRs going out of production?

An article in Pop Photo today hints that it is a matter of time, sooner rather than later, that Nikon will abandon its DSLR production and lenses in favor of their mirrorless line. It is suggested that they prefer not to make an announcement just yet until after they unload their stock.

Take it as you please.

• Love 1

Yes, it seems to makes even though I love my Nikon D850, if I stay in it long enough, I will probably get a Z body.  I see that most of the news photographers, who cover DC, have made the switch.  Not sure if the sports photographers have too.  I need to try one out.  I mean I have a Sony RX10 and an RX100 but I am talking about for my assignment work.

I wonder about the fate of "real" cameras in general. They have almost become a novelty. Most people now seem to prefer using their phones. I can see camera manufacturers offering fewer models in the future and putting less money and effort into development. Even now, there doesn't seem to be much "buzz" when new models are introduced.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Most people who used point and shoots went to phones a while back.  Used to be that every manufacturer had a professional camera and some "I have a Nikon/Canon/Pentax, too" consumer model.  And those people are the ones going to cell phones or "I have a Sony/Nikon/Canon, too" digital cameras.  I think the pro cameras in the future may be high rez larger sensor cameras and each company will be making one model of those, and they'll be seriously expensive.  Maybe one step down for people who shoot a lot with telephoto lenses, and again, expensive.

Camera quality on fairly ordinary cell phones has improved tremendously compared to earlier cheaper point and shoot film cameras.  The better digital point and shoots with bigger sensors can do better than average phone cameras, but people have to have a phone and tend to replace those every three to four years, and the phone is easy to carry.

I think the phenomenon of releasing five different models in less than three years is the manufacturers testing their market.   I think the pro grade cameras will be selling to richer amateurs (the classic dentist with a Hasselblad) and professionals in the areas of photography where high resolution matters, and there will be another body per brand for semi-pros and "I have a ((high end brand)), too" people.

Most people didn't have a Nikon F3 when that was Nikon's newest pro camera.   And someone's still buying large format cameras and lenses, though obviously that's a very niche market.

On 14/07/2022 at 14:17, John Mitchell said:

I imagine that other camera manufacturers will follow suit. The age of the DSLR is basically over. Mirrorless is a much better design, not as complicated and more compact.

It was fun while it lasted... 📷

John, when I first joined Alamy, and we were making decent $$ from our images, there was often lively, interesting discussions about new gear coming out. Especially when mirrorless was new…lots of discussion. That’s what got me interested in mirrorless, and eventually to the Fuji XT- line. I hung on to my D800 just until I got a handle on shooting mirrorless, then sold everything Nikon to finance my new system’s lenses.

24 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

John, when I first joined Alamy, and we were making decent $$ from our images, there was often lively, interesting discussions about new gear coming out. Especially when mirrorless was new…lots of discussion. That’s what got me interested in mirrorless, and eventually to the Fuji XT- line. I hung on to my D800 just until I got a handle on shooting mirrorless, then sold everything Nikon to finance my new system’s lenses.

Mainly because of those discussions, I sold all my DSLR equipment as well to help finance mirrorless purchases. No regrets.

David K.'s forum posts and reviews were also a big motivation since he was exploring Sony mirrorless cameras and lenses at the time.

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Mainly because of those discussions, I sold all my DSLR equipment as well to help finance mirrorless purchases. No regrets.

David K.'s forum posts and reviews were also a big motivation since he was exploring Sony mirrorless cameras and lenses at the time.

Yes, I miss his contributions. Always worth reading. He also was a supporter of the RX100 and knew how to wring out the best from it. Cameras were putty in his hands.

• Love 1

Reports are that Nikon as well as Canon in not-distant-future are stopping new development of SLR's.

Production and distribution of existing SLR products said to continue for near future at least.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/Nikon-to-stop-making-SLR-cameras-and-focus-on-mirrorless-models

I recently sold my Nikon and Canon SLR's so 100% mirrorless now,

Edited by Phil
add

The move to mirrorless cameras and lenses is a definite improvement but one that I cannot justify in terms of cost, especially so when the average price per image on Alamy is plummeting, year on year. The ROI would not justify it. I’m 65, if I manage to snap up a good Nikon full-frame DSLR and a few decent lenses, as they offload unwanted stock, that should last until I pop my clogs. However, if I were a sprightly young chap I would jump ship tomorrow! 🤣 

• Love 1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

The move to mirrorless cameras and lenses is a definite improvement but one that I cannot justify in terms of cost, especially so when the average price per image on Alamy is plummeting, year on year. The ROI would not justify it. I’m 65, if I manage to snap up a good Nikon full-frame DSLR and a few decent lenses, as they offload unwanted stock, that should last until I pop my clogs. However, if I were a sprightly young chap I would jump ship tomorrow! 🤣 

This!

What She Said GIF by The Free Mama

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

I couldn't agree more. My 2 D750's and an adequate range of FX lenses are in regular use and work for me, along with a D7200 and DX lenses as a backup. These should last me out. Upgrading to the Sony mirrorless bodies and lenses I like isn't economically viable. I'm 71 and still very active, though if I was 20 years younger I would likely take a different approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I couldn't agree more. My 2 D750's and an adequate range of FX lenses are in regular use and work for me, along with a D7200 and DX lenses as a backup. These should last me out. Upgrading to the Sony mirrorless bodies and lenses I like isn't economically viable. I'm 71 and still very active, though if I was 20 years younger I would likely take a different approach.

When mirrorless cameras started gaining popularity about ten years ago, I was in need of a new camera. This made the move to mirrorless easier. Also, I've never spent a lot on equipment. If I had had a pile of money invested in DSLR gear, I might not have made the switch, at least not right away anyway.

• Like 1

I got a mirrorless Olympus to test the waters in 2015 and loved it from day 1, but realized if I was committing to mirrorless alone, I wanted a higher caliber main camera at least of the quality of my D700.

I eventually gave up waiting for Nikon to perfect the Z System & got my first full frame Sony in 2018, selling all but a couple of Nikon lenses I use with an adapter. I got my second Sony last year. I have a Sony 35mm, 90mm G Master macro, 24-150mm G Master - and various prime Nikon, Rokinon, Lensbaby, & Olympus film lenses from the 1979s/80s used with adapters. Plenty of choices. 

I like the lightness of the Sony for hiking to shoot landscapes, my primary focus these days. And when travel is easier again, having two light cameras that fit easily in a backpack is great. The high resolution is ideal for the large prints I sell these days. If I was just shooting stock I'd have stuck with the Olympus as a backup - never had a fail from it and perfect for web use and moderate size prints. 

If I was younger (64 in September), I'd consider the newest Fuji medium format but with worsening arthritis, I don't see myself carting a heavier camera and tripod out to shoot landscapes. And since Covid I'm not doing assignments that would justify it for studio & portrait work. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Reports are that Nikon as well as Canon in not-distant-future are stopping new development of SLR's.

Production and distribution of existing SLR products said to continue for near future at least.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/Nikon-to-stop-making-SLR-cameras-and-focus-on-mirrorless-models

The sentence I have made bold is highly relevant. Nikon are no longer developing DSLRs but they will continue to produce them for some time I expect. Nikon have a long history of continuing to make some of their high quality, popular products in small quantities for many years after they have been superseded by new technology. They kept making their excellent manual focus AIS lenses and a film camera (the F6) until 2020. I think the D850 (best DSLR ever in my opinion) will be around for some time to come.

They were slow to enter the mirrorless market but the Z cameras are going from very good to superb and the lense are out of this world. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Grays of Westminster covered this in their Youtube vlog a couple of months ago, IIRC they were saying that there will probably be one or two pro/high end models of DSLR, rest will be mirrorless.
I can't watch it right now as I'm on a train & wifi isn't fast enough 😞

https://youtu.be/_3Ku9lYVaeA

I bought a new D750 from them a couple of years ago when they were on offer, I usually buy 2nd hand, but if you get a membership to their Nikon owners club, any new gear you buy whilst a member comes witha 5 year warranty 😮 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GP Essex said:

Grays of Westminster covered this in their Youtube vlog a couple of months ago, IIRC they were saying that there will probably be one or two pro/high end models of DSLR, rest will be mirrorless.
I can't watch it right now as I'm on a train & wifi isn't fast enough 😞

https://youtu.be/_3Ku9lYVaeA

I bought a new D750 from them a couple of years ago when they were on offer, I usually buy 2nd hand, but if you get a membership to their Nikon owners club, any new gear you buy whilst a member comes witha 5 year warranty 😮 

Been discussed on bythom.com for months. Not happening tomorrow, but may soon be a good time to look out for those who can afford it dumping their DSLR lenses onto the second-hand market.

DD

• Like 1

Oh, how I’ve missed these gear discussions! Whether or not we can afford new gear, it’s still stimulating to read about them. Although this discussion isn’t about a new piece of kit, it’s still fun.

I was just looking at used gear.  I bought the Canon 100-400 4-5.6 L last year and have loved it.  But have mostly used it at home shooting backyard birds. This past weekend I went to the Canadian Raptor Conservancy and shot 3000 images of awesome birds of prey.  The 100-400 was a bit of overkill as these are trained raptors so never too far away from the lens.  After an hour or so the weight of the 100-400 was getting to me as I also have a battery pack on the camera.  So thought I would get myself a 70-300 4-5.6 L IS USM lens for when the big lens isn't needed. 

I have started to wonder if slowly it will become tougher to find lenses for DSLRs.  And maybe I should think about adding any others over the next year just in case. Mirrorless not worth the changeover for me at 67.  If I had buckets of money, sure, but I pretty much shoot for my own self these days as opposed to sales.

Jill

It is interesting to see people in their 60s and 70s deciding that's it and sticking with heavy DSLR bodies and lenses instead of going mirrorless as age takes its toll. The D850 with 24-70 F2.8 lens is getting close to 3kg whereas a Z6/Z7 family with the excellent little (for a quality zoom) 24-70 F4 weighs just about 1.1 kg. That makes a huge difference to aching limbs and backs. . A lot of the Nikon Z lenses are lighter than their F-mount counterparts due to using lighter but high quality and robust material. The weight difference applies only to some lens though. Once you stick a heavy telephoto on a light mirrorless body, the difference between DSLR and mirrorless may be negligible (certainly in the Nikon world).

Anyway no need for the diehards to panic just yet. I'm betting Nikon will still be selling the D850 and the D780 new in 5 years time and quite likely 10 years along with a select few lenses (and the independents such as Tamron and Sigma will still be making top quality F-Mount prime lenses as well as they are now. They are unlikely to be adding anything new to their DSLR range but there is still a sizeable market for these DSLR cameras. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Fortunately for my kind of work, I don’t have to carry my D850 very far.  I am lighting most of my shoots so I have a cart of heavier lights and stands so the camera bag weight is relatively marginal on top of my other cases.  If I am walking around taking travel type photos, I use my Sony RX10 or RX100.  My barrier, for now, is the cost of a Z6 or Z7 and lens, when my D850 is working like a champ and I have every lens I need for my DSLR.