Minimum sale price

1 hour ago, Bob J said:

I now need to figure out what to spend my 5 cents on from own my latest sale. Obviously I only get two cents as my share so that should make it easier.  

I assume bubblegum has gone up in price since I was a kid, so no suggestions (a piece of Bazooka was 2 cents at the Five & Dime back in the 1960's). Oh wait, how about two wishes in a nearby fountain or wishing well? Wish for better sales? 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

That takes me back! Loved Bazooka bubble gum.

I remember Bazooka Joe bubblegum... with a badly-printed cartoon wrapped around every piece. 

Ah, memories: farthings, florins, farenheit and fuzzy felt. Antirhinums, antimacassars and avoidupois. Dubbin and dolly blue. Green Shield Stamps, twin-tubs, tiger nuts, singing cowboys, coltsfoot rock, barley sugar twists, temperance hotels, sarsaparilla and sweet cigarettes (what a great idea they were, introducing kids to two lifelong addictions - sugar and tobacco - for the price of one)...

• Love 1

14 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I remember Bazooka Joe bubblegum... with a badly-printed cartoon wrapped around every piece. 

Ah, memories: farthings, florins, farenheit and fuzzy felt. Antirhinums, antimacassars and avoidupois. Dubbin and dolly blue. Green Shield Stamps, twin-tubs, tiger nuts, singing cowboys, coltsfoot rock, barley sugar twists, temperance hotels, sarsaparilla and sweet cigarettes (what a great idea they were, introducing kids to two lifelong addictions - sugar and tobacco - for the price of one)...

I remember all of those plus the small Hovis penny loaf.

Allan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Morrison said:

a few of those made it to our side.  From my penny candies counter memories the weirdest one, in the heavily catholic confines of rural Québec, was a candied host, no communion required.... get your sugar without feeling guilty? 

Back to topic, when I joined Alamy the number of sales were low but prices not bad. Now sales still low compared to SS and Adobe and prices even worse - 5 cents less commission is becoming more common. Given that it takes so long before I reach a payday Alamy has the use of that credit for many months which spread over thousands of contributors is lucrative in itself. I have only very occasionally uploaded since SS changed their fee structure and have now decided to give Alamy a miss entirely. I am undecided whether to just leave everything in place, having put in all that key wording work, or close the account because my work is worth more than this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rob Lavers said:

Back to topic, when I joined Alamy the number of sales were low but prices not bad. Now sales still low compared to SS and Adobe and prices even worse - 5 cents less commission is becoming more common. Given that it takes so long before I reach a payday Alamy has the use of that credit for many months which spread over thousands of contributors is lucrative in itself. I have only very occasionally uploaded since SS changed their fee structure and have now decided to give Alamy a miss entirely. I am undecided whether to just leave everything in place, having put in all that key wording work, or close the account because my work is worth more than this.

Same thoughts here but at least I am at 40%. As you say, the work's done,, so if your sales are anything other than minimal I would probably stay put. If I could see your images I'd venture an opinion but BLUE NUMBERS HAVE NOW BEEN BROKEN FOR GETTING ON FOR 3 WEEKS and answer came there none from PAlamy.

I am hardly uploading for other reasons (lack of travel) but I will think twice about any more, unless they really widen out my port.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 03:15, Travelshots said:

I cannot understand the business model that the big agencies are following by selling their/our materials at such stupid low prices. Its time for Alamy Getty Shutterstock to review their future plans and to substantially increase the cost of buying an image/ video for commercial /editorial use. I have just had sale to uk national newspaper for 8$ for a 2 million print run 1/4 page. A fair price would be around 50$.  I have stopped uploading stills  until a review takes place.

Wow! $8 for a newspaper sale.  My last to be licensed to a major UK newspaper, print digital, perpetual etc....a whopping 15¢!  Consider yourself lucky.  /s

Rick

Alamy should set a floor to sales - it can be quite low, like whatever the sale is the contributor has to get $.20 or something, but $.05 sales for which I get .01 are really really not worth it and are more of an insult than income.

• Like 1

Today, all, yes all of my images came up in search with the LU annotation.

Not sure yet what it is, but it doesn't seems encouraging to me, the only sales I got with LU so far, were very very low...

Also, Alamy as now become the agency with the lower payment per licence from all the agencies I have ever worked with...

I am starting to be a bit disappointed in Alamy, to say the less...

• Like 1

Alamy's obligations

1. Alamy agrees to use its reasonable commercial endeavours to grant Licences in accordance with your instructions. Alamy will not be liable if it (or a Distributor) sells or otherwise makes available an item of Content outside the instructions specified by you.
  3. Alamy agrees to use its reasonable commercial endeavours to obtain reasonable Licence Fees.
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Who defines what reasonable is? 🙃

Reasonable in today's market?

I do for my work! As I know what has gone into producing the image, the rarity, and how I value my time...

If Alamy would allow us to set a minimum nett we're prepared to accept then all would be fine.

Phil

• Like 1

I now joined the lucky club selling for (rounded) zero $ - .23 $.

I asked contributor service, received a quick reply same day: sale to China. But CS noticed as well that I had opted out on China, asked when I opted out. I assume I never opted in as I had similar experiences some years ago,  - prices like this are a no go  (note: I had a couple of nice sales by distribution in Europe)

Setting a minimum price shouldnt be too complicated, even for distribution. And where Alamy lags behind as we all know: let sales price depend on image size. No need to give HighRes away for 10$, invite for misuse.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

How many licence will it take me to get out of this?

Screenshot-from-2022-07-16-08-16-39

(largest licence of year refunded 5 months later, even after it had cleared)

I also had my largest sale for months refunded yesterday - invoice 7th March, cleared 24th April.
Mine was for a museum display in Belgium - yours?

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

I also had my largest sale for months refunded yesterday - invoice 7th March, cleared 24th April.

same  😞

(so i guess it was 4+ months later)

Edited by meanderingemu

On 08/07/2022 at 07:19, Phil Crean said:

I do for my work! As I know what has gone into producing the image, the rarity, and how I value my time...

If Alamy would allow us to set a minimum nett we're prepared to accept then all would be fine.

Phil

What Alamy is for PA is a brand name that can be used to sell marketing product.  The less we get paid, the more money for them.   However, this is a strategy that any number of other stock agencies could use.   Fun fact -- Dunhill eliminated Mont Blanc's cheaper pens when they acquired them.   Alamy is going for what looks like the bottom feeder market.   Most of us shot for what had been Alamy's main focus, editorial.  Now, "do photos and graphics for advertisers."   Um, what?   And for the clients, a special category with a personal assistant and some firm to clear permissions on photographs.

This move to being an ad agency or marketing firm with a huge photo stock pool could be brilliant.  It's also an idea that any number of other stock photo agencies can implement.

I don't have any interest in producing advertising images. However, I'm wondering if these types of commercial images -- the kind that Alamy now seems to be promoting -- actually fetch higher prices on Alamy than editorial ones. Advertising sales seldom show up on the "images sold" threads, so it's hard to know.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I don't have any interest in producing advertising images. However, I'm wondering if these types of commercial images -- the kind that Alamy now seems to be promoting -- actually fetch higher prices on Alamy than editorial ones. Advertising sales seldom show up on the "images sold" threads, so it's hard to know.

Well, one of Alamy's blog posts had a lightbox of what they saw as potential national ad campaigns graphics.  Don't know how many of those were used.

On 05/07/2022 at 11:22, Mallow said:

Just seen that Alamy sold an image of mine, RF, on 30 June 2022 for the princely pauper sum of $0.05 - that's less than 2 pence sterling for me 😱 and for Alamy 😂

- what is the point of selling at that price? - for unlimited use of an image!

Truly pathetic

An absolute disgrace.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 08:58, Phil Robinson said:

No i'm curious, how do these affect Silver/Gold calculations, since they are across "Contract years", are we in Negative so for for 2022-23?  Would they restate the 2021-22 and retroactively change are sales to date?  @Alamyany insight how Refunds impact?

• 6 months later...