Minimum sale price

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. In an age where ever more people with a camera are happy to give their product away for nothing more than a byline credit, why shouldn't those who need their work to earn them a living be allowed to set a minmum sales price? I would think that only a small proportion of contibutors here would make use of the opportunity and it would be their choice. It would then leave those who are happy to sell for whatever then can get to do so and follow the microstock model to its natural fulfilment. 

• Love 1
  • Like 6

I always thought this would be a problem, mainly with how it could be handled for larger account,s but as I saw yesterday Alamy seems to be easily able to restrict what image particular buyer are able to view in searches (see my post "Can anyone find the Unique Image" where I was restricted and it not made available to me), so this does seem feasible even from a technology feature.  You are a $3 client, you only get these images available. 

• Love 2
  • Like 4

On 28/10/2021 at 08:50, Steve UK said:

With some current sales prices very low, perhaps Alamy could allow contributors to sent a minimum sale price? 

Agree completely - two sales today of $0.21 each - which to me just seems insulting (perpetual web use licences). If I want to give away my pictures I am capable of doing that without Alamy’s help. And increasingly this is the level of royalty that I am seeing - but this is a new low. I am seriously considering the deletion of my Alamy portfolio - it’s really not worth the effort anymore. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

How about a "Not available for bulk discounts" (or something similar) check-able box in AIM? 

great idea.  Also "Not Available for Retroactive Affiliate commission" would be nice.  Today Negative amount higher than my actual last 2 sales. 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

great idea.  Also "Not Available for Retroactive Affiliate commission" would be nice.  Today Negative amount higher than my actual last 2 sales. 

Bummer. Those "other fees" can easily gobble up the returns from a couple of tiddlers. 😈

I've been lucky this month, only 0.68 in fees so far and prices have been pretty good overall.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Bummer. Those "other fees" can easily gobble up the returns from a couple of tiddlers. 😈

I've been lucky this month, only 0.68 in fees so far and prices have been pretty good overall.

having a good month all things relative, just a sour note on the last day, especially since i have no confidence Affiliates bring any value to us- would love Alamy's validations of how many sales that would not have come the whole program brings.

I Follow enough content providers who ask that I use links from merchants I would shop from no matter what as a way to support them, I don't think this has any value for contributor. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

having a good month all things relative, just a sour note on the last day, especially since i have no confidence Affiliates bring any value to us- would love Alamy's validations of how many sales that would not have come the whole program brings.

I Follow enough content providers who ask that I use links from merchants I would shop from no matter what as a way to support them, I don't think this has any value for contributor. 

Oh yeah, it's all relative...

albert einstein GIF

I'm all for a minimum sale price. A lot of online businesses have filters for prices.  If I am searching for an AirBnB, you can set the maximum and even minimum you want to spend on rental property.  Or if you are looking at a toaster at your favorite online retailer, you can search by pricing.  But the minimum would have to be appropriate for the use, it can't be an across the board blanket minimum price.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I'm all for a minimum sale price. A lot of online businesses have filters for prices.  If I am searching for an AirBnB, you can set the maximum and even minimum you want to spend on rental property.  Or if you are looking at a toaster at your favorite online retailer, you can search by pricing.  But the minimum would have to be appropriate for the use, it can't be an across the board blanket minimum price.

Not sure how this could be made compatible with Alamy's distribution network, though. Distributors would have to have similar price filters on their websites. No? Minimum pricing would probably work best with RF images. As you say, minimum pricing can't be a fixed amount with RM, it's too complicated.

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Not sure how this could be made compatible with Alamy's distribution network, though. Distributors would have to have similar price filters on their websites. No? Minimum pricing would probably work best with RF images. As you say, minimum pricing can't be a fixed amount with RM, it's too complicated.

Good point, I didn’t think about the distributors

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Good point, I didn’t think about the distributors

Yes, the whole thing starts to get complicated. Some of the stock sites that let you set your own prices have price sliders and/or filters. Perhaps some Alamy distributors do as well, I don't know.

A minimum price sounds appealing but I doubt it's achievable. We could do something useful though; 

stop posting specific low-ball pricing examples. I feel your grief but I suspect its counterproductive. This is an open forum!

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

A new Low, 2 sales for £00.27, so low it shows as zero, in sales history. and thats before commision. What sort of busniss model is that..? Time for contributers to push for minimium pricing.

• Like 3

I cannot understand the business model that the big agencies are following by selling their/our materials at such stupid low prices. Its time for Alamy Getty Shutterstock to review their future plans and to substantially increase the cost of buying an image/ video for commercial /editorial use. I have just had sale to uk national newspaper for 8$ for a 2 million print run 1/4 page. A fair price would be around 50$.  I have stopped uploading stills  until a review takes place.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Travelshots said:

I cannot understand the business model that the big agencies are following by selling their/our materials at such stupid low prices. Its time for Alamy Getty Shutterstock to review their future plans and to substantially increase the cost of buying an image/ video for commercial /editorial use. I have just had sale to uk national newspaper for 8$ for a 2 million print run 1/4 page. A fair price would be around 50$.  I have stopped uploading stills  until a review takes place.

Oversupply. And competition from competitors. Uber's business model, for example, is to gain market share by running at a loss and undercutting local taxi companies putting them out of business, and then to raise prices (also to have self driving software replacing drivers, but I think that's a pipe dream for now).

Edited by Steve F

On 01/07/2022 at 04:20, Steve F said:

Oversupply. And competition from competitors. Uber's business model, for example, is to gain market share by running at a loss and undercutting local taxi companies putting them out of business, and then to raise prices (also to have self driving software replacing drivers, but I think that's a pipe dream for now).

But as the example of SS shows - they end up not being able to raise prices because everyone else comes down to their level so they end up just ruining it for everyone. And their stockholders are no longer smiling either. 

• Like 6

Just seen that Alamy sold an image of mine, RF, on 30 June 2022 for the princely pauper sum of $0.05 - that's less than 2 pence sterling for me 😱 and for Alamy 😂

- what is the point of selling at that price? - for unlimited use of an image!

Truly pathetic

• Like 1

I now need to figure out what to spend my 5 cents on from own my latest sale. Obviously I only get two cents as my share so that should make it easier.  

Edited by Bob J

30 minutes ago, Bob J said:

I now need to figure out what to spend my 5 cents on from own my latest sale. Obviously I only get two cents as my share so that should make it easier.  

You're making me feel rich. I came home with 60 cents in my pocket yesterday. 🥳

• Like 1