Discuss Any Subject Here

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am right now watching a ML baseball game from Miami live on YouTube. And it's free!

Nice idea. I've been watching county cricket on YouTube, reliving my passion for cricket when I was a boy. (I still love it but we've been starved of live cricket on TV for many years now).

I haven't watched MLB since I lived in the USA 20 years ago. I used to love it - a good substitute for cricket. Thanks for mentioning it - it will probably end up as one more thing I waste my time on instead of being productive!

Alan

• Love 1
  • Like 3

BAD - I am on anti biotics with a gum infection which is quite painful and making me feel ill.

BAD - I have my second Covid vaccine today, this could be viewed as good but as it will make me feel even worse then it is BAD

BAD - I cannot drink alcohol whilst on the antibiotics and not for three days after I finish the course.

GOOD - Nothing really but there is potential for a great stage of the Giro d'Italia today so I will watch that on telly this afternoon.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

BAD - I am on anti biotics with a gum infection which is quite painful and making me feel ill.

BAD - I have my second Covid vaccine today, this could be viewed as good but as it will make me feel even worse then it is BAD

BAD - I cannot drink alcohol whilst on the antibiotics and not for three days after I finish the course.

GOOD - Nothing really but there is potential for a great stage of the Giro d'Italia today so I will watch that on telly this afternoon.

Well i hope things improve for you Steve 👍

3 hours ago, William Caram said:

Just started a 7 day Covid outbreak LOCKDOWN in Victoria Australia...The bad

Getting ready some photography gear for sale on Ebay after buying into Canon RF gear...The good

My heart is with you William. Let's hope it's only for 7 days.

I'm in North WA at the moment and it feels like it's a step backwards: oh look a vehicle from Victoria. Go away! Sad.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Nice idea. I've been watching county cricket on YouTube, reliving my passion for cricket when I was a boy. (I still love it but we've been starved of live cricket on TV for many years now).

I haven't watched MLB since I lived in the USA 20 years ago. I used to love it - a good substitute for cricket. Thanks for mentioning it - it will probably end up as one more thing I waste my time on instead of being productive!

Alan

And I used to enjoy watching cricket when I lived in Oxfordshire. One village did it up right with the white outfits on a lovely green lawn. I can follow the action okay, but I've never really learned the vocabulary. Yogi Berra would have made a great cricket player; he liked to hit 'bad' pitches. I saw him hit a home run on a ball that bounced in front of the plate. 

• Like 1

I'm about as jabbed as a pin-cushion. They called all us oldies in for a flu-jab early on then I did my two Pfizer jabs which were completely uneventful, and to round things off, last week I added a Shingles shot (no reaction). I really dig preventive medicine but I think that's enough for now. 80th in a week or so; weather has turned it seems and our patio will soon be a serious piss-up scene.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

And I used to enjoy watching cricket when I lived in Oxfordshire. One village did it up right with the white outfits on a lovely green lawn. I can follow the action okay, but I've never really learned the vocabulary. Yogi Berra would have made a great cricket player; he liked to hit 'bad' pitches. I saw him hit a home run on a ball that bounced in front of the plate. 

i wish i had been able to watch Yogi.  slightly before my time.  Vlad Guerrero (Sr,) is my reference for those kind of shots. 

I grew up with baseball and could often give the ball a good whack. As a Dad in England I joined other Dads & sons with cricket bats & balls. The first few times hitting a ball which had just bounced in front of me was really strange. Soon got the hang of that but knocking it to the side or rear was just too odd for my instincts. 

The average player is better now, but I was fortunate in being able to see many of baseball's superstars play live; Joe DiMaggio was my idol. His consecutive 56 game hitting streak will probably never be broken. I also saw Jackie Robinson, Bob Feller, Satchel Paige, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, and the list goes on. When I was very little, I shook hands with Babe Ruth. He used to play golf with my father. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I did get to watch Hank Aaron go for the home run record as a kid.  In those days you mainly watched your own team so my early days are all in the National League, Johnny Bench and the Big Reds machine, Lou Brock,,Tom Seaver,  Le Grand Orange,Rusty Staub  and then the great expos Raines, Carter, Rogers, Dawson.....

• Like 1

I would be remiss to not mention the cicadas. Brood X of the 17-year Cicada is emerging in Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brood-x-cicadas-are-emerging-at-last1/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/04/01/cicadas-come-out-2021-brood-x/

I recently sold image A1P058 (sorry, I never remember how to put up images here), a kinda fuzzy slide image taken during the last emergence in the front yard of our previous house. I saw the image briefly in the mobile version of an article but haven't seen it since; better current digital versions abound.

In our current community of 68 houses, we don't really have any cicadas, presumably because the ground was all disturbed when the community was built 19-23 years ago. Cicadas are in the surrounding parkland, so their resounding chorus is muted and a little in the distance (can't hear it when in the house). Plots here are generally about an acre (~half a hectare). The cicadas don't seem to go very far once they emerge--most of them crawl up the nearest tree, even though they can fly (clumsily) at that point.

At our daughter's house in a nearby older community, it's as I remember from my youth. Cicadas are everywhere, underfoot, crawling up trees, munching on leaves, occasionally flying around, their shells piling up at the bases of trees. The chirpfest is all around you and gets pretty loud. They do munch on leaves, but their main interest is mating in the treetops, and it's said that damage is not serious. It's not like a plague of locusts, which technically they are not.

Had some sport at our daughter's house, shaking young trees and seeing cicadas fly off in all directions.

Edited by Bill Kuta

3 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

Steve are you sure you can't have alcohol with your antibiotics, I know the ones I'm taking you can so I will have a glass for you😄 - wish better anyway

Carol

• Like 1

I just made a New York Cheesecake which is in the oven, however, while washing the food processor blade I cut my finger which now has a plaster around it, it's a very tiny cut but wouldn't stop bleeding - now making it difficult to use the keyboard 🙃

Carol

• Love 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Just about to set off from North Wales to Sheffield, hoping the bank holiday weekend traffic isn’t too bad.....

Hope all goes well for your travels. I did think about a trip away this weekend, but tomorrow my daughter and her family will be staying nearby and we’ll be out and about. Sunday I’ll be leaving home early to visit Weymouth and Portland for the day. I used to know the area very well. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I just made a New York Cheesecake which is in the oven, however, while washing the food processor blade I cut my finger which now has a plaster around it, it's a very tiny cut but wouldn't stop bleeding - now making it difficult to use the keyboard 🙃

Carol

Never had a New York Cheesecake. I do treat myself sometimes to a New York Cheesecake high protein low sugar bar, quite tasty.

6 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Every time I've done this, I've ended up buying more camera stuff -- this time with an inheritance from my father's estate.  I came close to buying an RB67 from a Nicaraguan photographer.  Whether or not I can make money from photography, it's been important to me.  I just got lighter gear, Godox instead of a Norman power pack.   I priced a Panasonic GF 1 before leaving the US, but got a point and shoot Canon instead, then got a used GF1, and started buying lenses again. 

I feel frustrated with how things worked out with my sales on Alamy.   I actually do like taking quirky still lifes and photos of weird things as much or more than most people shots, and that's worked for me more than anything else did: fish, rifles, bagpipes, jewelry, and my handcrafted purse on a handcrafted table.   I absolutely hate promoting tourism in NIcaragua, so that obvious niche doesn't work for me.  In four and a half years here, I've never sold a street scene of Nicaragua, or anything having to do with tourism. 

I know someone in North Carolina who shoots an RB67.   I can't get film and chemistry here now that Kodak closed its stores in Nicaragua, but if I were somewhere that I could get film and chemistry, I might take my vacation from stock with a Minolta Autocord or a Yashicamat.   Two solution Diafine is easy to use.

Rebecca,

I have not done business with these people in Southern California in years, but they use to be a great place to buy film and chemicals: www.freestylephoto.biz

They ship worldwide.  Best prices.

Chuck

Driving down to Dunstable from Grantham later today. And then up to Pocklington in Yorkshire on Sunday for a week of learning to become a gliding instructor. So glad the weather has turned.. ;)

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Rebecca,

I have not done business with these people in Southern California in years, but they use to be a great place to buy film and chemicals: www.freestylephoto.biz

They ship worldwide.  Best prices.

Chuck

I have three Sony cameras (a6000, and two a7) and a good local shop for getting prints made, but if I hadn't spent down on my and my animal's health problems....     Other issue is the expense of shipping things here and dealing with customs brokers (FedEx has in-house ones) and all that.  

Edited by MizBrown

53 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

Sadly not, I am on Metronidazole, the dentist and the chemist said alcohol would make me very ill. Having researched it online it advises not to drink until at least 3 days after finishing the course 😢

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

The average player is better now, but I was fortunate in being able to see many of baseball's superstars play live; Joe DiMaggio was my idol. His consecutive 56 game hitting streak will probably never be broken. I also saw Jackie Robinson, Bob Feller, Satchel Paige, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, and the list goes on. When I was very little, I shook hands with Babe Ruth. He used to play golf with my father. 

If you're a baseball fan watch this for giggles.

Anybody help with this showed up this morning. Looks like some sort of commission charge to me.

sale        deductions  due

Other fees Affiliate commission charge for IY01812392 Image 2 0 -2.67 -2.67

18 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

did you see this play, funniest thing i've seen in years

https://www.mlb.com/video/tyler-anderson-in-play-no-out-to-javier-baez-rnodaw

8 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

If you're a baseball fan watch this for giggles.

it does warrant to be posted multiple times... 🤣🤣🤣

i've probably watched it 10-15 times by now.....

• Love 1