Discuss Any Subject Here

10 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Anybody help with this showed up this morning. Looks like some sort of commission charge to me.

sale        deductions  due

Other fees Affiliate commission charge for IY01812392 Image 2 0 -2.67 -2.67

I've had two of those today. Presumably they went through originally as 'normal' sales without paying the affiliate their fee.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The average player is better now, but I was fortunate in being able to see many of baseball's superstars play live; Joe DiMaggio was my idol. His consecutive 56 game hitting streak will probably never be broken. I also saw Jackie Robinson, Bob Feller, Satchel Paige, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, and the list goes on. When I was very little, I shook hands with Babe Ruth. He used to play golf with my father. 

I sold Joe D a camera! Brooks Cameras in SF, worked there for a while!

Just now, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

Oh I missed your original post. I guess Great minds think alike.

in fairness i didn't take time to embed the video.  you did it better. and as i said, the more exposure this gets the better.....  

41 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i've probably watched it 10-15 times by now....

....and I'm thinking about listening to it again for the major mispronunciation of "macho" that I think I heard from the announcer.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The average player is better now, but I was fortunate in being able to see many of baseball's superstars play live; Joe DiMaggio was my idol. His consecutive 56 game hitting streak will probably never be broken. I also saw Jackie Robinson, Bob Feller, Satchel Paige, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, and the list goes on. When I was very little, I shook hands with Babe Ruth. He used to play golf with my father. 

Edo,

Check out image: BHJKTC 

Taken after the 89 SF earthquake, He lived in the Marina district in San Francisco.

Tried to insert image, but did not work?

Best to you,

Chuck

3 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Edo,

Check out image: BHJKTC 

Taken after the 89 SF earthquake, He lived in the Marina district in San Francisco.

Tried to insert image, but did not work?

Best to you,

Chuck

Here you go, Chuck, drag and drop

Baseball legend Joe DiMaggio at a Red Cross center in the Marina District after the 1989 San Francisco Earthquake Stock Photo
Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I have three Sony cameras (a6000, and two a7) and a good local shop for getting prints made, but if I hadn't spent down on my and my animal's health problems....     Other issue is the expense of shipping things here and dealing with customs brokers (FedEx has in-house ones) and all that.  

Redecca,

Sorry to hear about the animal health issues, luckily my cat Bon Jovi has been healthy.  

You were talking about film cameras and chemicals so I thought I'd pass along the link.

Can't offer advice on shipping charges, but when I lived in Russia, I was able to have

film and camera equipment shipped in marked "Press Materials" so had no issues with customs.

Chuck

I’m expecting my new RAM, 32GB worth, to be delivered today. Why do I feel it’s hopeless, and it won’t work, either?

I was first told it would be delivered this coming Tuesday, so today is better. One small glimmer of light.

Just now, Chuck Nacke said:

Redecca,

Sorry to hear about the animal health issues, luckily my cat Bon Jovi has been healthy.  

You were talking about film cameras and chemicals so I thought I'd pass along the link.

Can't offer advice on shipping charges, but when I lived in Russia, I was able to have

film and camera equipment shipped in marked "Press Materials" so had no issues with customs.

Chuck

Yeah, I could trade current conditions for being an unregistered journalist in the run up to the 2021 elections here.  Nope, nope. 

My current plans are to postpone further decisions about stock until I have a portfolio of 1,000 to 1500 photos ready to go.   I've edited my current portfolio back to around 300.

I've got a tank of fish (local third and fourth generation from a nearby lake), two cats plus a third one who visits, a ten year old 90% cocker, and a bum knee, which means having to hire someone to walk the dog.   I have managed a few short walks with her. 

One thing that's slowing me up is seeing what Alamy's Mexican distributor that's also a stock agency in its own right has available for Nicaragua compared with what the Anglophone photographers have available here.  The Mexican distributor also draws from a Spanish distributor that carries Alamy, but doesn't use the Alamy photographers as much as the Spanish ones and others.   Nicaragua through Latin eyes looks different from through Anglo (American and British) eyes, less colorfully poor, not focused on the white tourists.   Another Anglophone photographer in Jinotega (from Canada, I think) chided me for photographing the nicer houses over what he believed to be the more typical houses.  So, I want to be more engaged with the people I photograph, not be the tourist taking photos of colorful natives in their colorful poverty, or the cynical expat taking pictures of the naive tourists, either.   This has nothing to do with stock or not.  

I've seen some photos by Nicaraguan photographers where the subject looked back in a very different way than people look back at me.  And if I can't get that, I'll take photos of fish and stuff.  Someone was looking for a photo of a cat licking its butt. 

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m expecting my new RAM, 32GB worth, to be delivered today. Why do I feel it’s hopeless, and it won’t work, either?

I was first told it would be delivered this coming Tuesday, so today is better. One small glimmer of light.

Watch one of the YouTube videos about installing memory in an iMac.   Take deep breaths. 

4 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Watch one of the YouTube videos about installing memory in an iMac.   Take deep breaths. 

I’ve installed it in different configurations so many times, I can do it blindfolded. Then watched my very savvy son-in-law do it another 10 or so times, same configurations and a few new ones. I have a very pretty scarf I think I’ll tie over my eyes before I do it again. That and saying a prayer might give me luck. Along with deep breaths!

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

I've had two of those today. Presumably they went through originally as 'normal' sales without paying the affiliate their fee.

So not only can an affiliate licence my image for a miserable MS price they can charge me a commission for the privilege. Nice work if you can get it.😒

26 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

So not only can an affiliate licence my image for a miserable MS price they can charge me a commission for the privilege. Nice work if you can get it.😒

Join now for free.

(Can I have some commission for this referral? 😂)

wim

Here's the Gay Talese article on Joe: https://www.randomhouse.com/kvpa/talese/essays/dimaggio.html Not on the level as the one he wrote about Sinatra, but very good. 

Treat yourself to a read of what is considered one of the most important profiles in print:  https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a638/frank-sinatra-has-a-cold-gay-talese/

I wrote a memoir about The Yankee Clipper, Why I Never Shock Hands with Joe DiMaggio. If I can find it, I'll put it here.

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here's the Gay Talese article on Joe: https://www.randomhouse.com/kvpa/talese/essays/dimaggio.html Not on the level as the one he wrote about Sinatra, but very good. 

Treat yourself to a read of what is considered one of the most important profiles in print:  https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a638/frank-sinatra-has-a-cold-gay-talese/

I wrote a memoir about The Yankee Clipper, Why I Never Shock Hands with Joe DiMaggio. If I can find it, I'll put it here.

Guy Talese was born in 1932 on Feb 7 - a Sunday. Need I say more?

(How do I know? I was born on Feb 7 on a Sunday. Not in the same year.)

Talese is 89 and still writing. Maybe his writing is like the batting of Joe in his article. Somehow I don't think so. What a piece! Thanks for sharing.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Join now for free.

(Can I have some commission for this referral? 😂)

wim

"Get a minimum of 10% of sales made" So after July Alamy gets 60% the Affiliate site gets 10% MINIMUM leaves the poor Sap with the camera 30%. or less. I'm of to drink heavily.🤪

26 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

"Get a minimum of 10% of sales made" So after July Alamy gets 60% the Affiliate site gets 10% MINIMUM leaves the poor Sap with the camera 30%. or less. I'm of to drink heavily.🤪

and they get paid in 30 days, faster than contributors

Total chaos on the East Coast Mainline and some other rail services this evening north out of and into London. Perfect timing for a bank holiday weekend. Glad I am not on a train or going anywhere but I feel sorry for anyone who is (including my son's girlfriend which is how I heard about it). 

Edited by MDM

Just been listening to "The Beautiful South " on the radio singing "Song For Whoever" and really listened to the words this time round when I realised my name is in the chorus.

Allan

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Just been listening to "The Beautiful South " on the radio singing "Song For Whoever" and really listened to the words this time round when I realised my name is in the chorus.

Allan

Jennifer? Allison? Philippa? Sue? Deborah? Annabelle? Shirley? Julie? Jane?Mary (sad sad story)? 

(from memory)...

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Jennifer? Allison? Philippa? Sue? Deborah? Annabelle? Shirley? Julie? Jane?Mary (sad sad story)? 

(from memory)...

You hit it.  "Annabelle".

When you hear the song it comes across as "Allan bell to".

Just thought I would lighten the day folks.

Allan

Just now, Allan Bell said:

You hit it.  "Annabelle".

When you hear the song it comes across as "Allan bell to".

Just thought I would lighten the day folks.

Allan

🤣 now i won't be able to unhear that.... rough day first "Red Arrow strikes again (paladada da da)", and now  "Deborah, Allan Bell too".