Discuss Any Subject Here

14 hours ago, gvallee said:

My heart is with you William. Let's hope it's only for 7 days.

I'm in North WA at the moment and it feels like it's a step backwards: oh look a vehicle from Victoria. Go away! Sad.

Thanks Genevieve, it looks like this current outbreak has spread over multiple locations and the talk is that the lockdown may be extended beyond the this 7 day period..hope not!

I do have things to do keep me occupied at home, but of course i will miss getting out photographing and of course prospecting for gold..

You certainly cover some territory with now being situated in the North Western Australia...Take care out there and keep snapping, Ahh watch out there goes another Victorian 👀😂

ATB

William 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Safe journey!

Just back thanks !

As a (part-time) trucker, I have to carry out covid tests after arrival back in to the UK; 2, 5 and 8 days after arrival in to the UK (exempt from isolation).

Things are opening up in France now, but until very recently all shops and restaurants were still shut, except the routiers (which are the roadside restaurants that serve a good meal with a bottle of nice red wine at the end of the day to weary drivers.

And Brexit stuff........ done some crossings now this year, no delays in or out with customs.

It takes longer getting from Spain in to France with the French Douane !

And passport is getting stamped now, so will have to renew before it expires !

• Like 2

As the U.S. is coming out of Covid restrictions, assignment work has really picked up for me.  This coming week will be the busiest in 15 months, not sure I am ready for it.  I have my 23yr old son living with me for the summer and he is my built in assistant. He is not interested in photography but loves the extra cash he makes while working through the summer with me! He knows my lighting equipment well and doesn't mind doing the hauling on the cart I have.

We have a long weekend here in the States with Monday being Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer.  Did I see that Monday is bank holiday in the U.K.?  Will sales get reported on Monday or was Friday pretty much the end of the month? As far as business goes.

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

As the U.S. is coming out of Covid restrictions, assignment work has really picked up for me.  This coming week will be the busiest in 15 months, not sure I am ready for it.  I have my 23yr old son living with me for the summer and he is my built in assistant. He is not interested in photography but loves the extra cash he makes while working through the summer with me! He knows my lighting equipment well and doesn't mind doing the hauling on the cart I have.

We have a long weekend here in the States with Monday being Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer.  Did I see that Monday is bank holiday in the U.K.?  Will sales get reported on Monday or was Friday pretty much the end of the month? As far as business goes.

yes Monday is a holiday in UK, so except for some personal usage i guess our month is pretty much done.  

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Just back thanks !

As a (part-time) trucker, I have to carry out covid tests after arrival back in to the UK; 2, 5 and 8 days after arrival in to the UK (exempt from isolation).

Things are opening up in France now, but until very recently all shops and restaurants were still shut, except the routiers (which are the roadside restaurants that serve a good meal with a bottle of nice red wine at the end of the day to weary drivers.

And Brexit stuff........ done some crossings now this year, no delays in or out with customs.

It takes longer getting from Spain in to France with the French Douane !

And passport is getting stamped now, so will have to renew before it expires !

We continue in a lockdown until June 14 here in Ontario. (Every province has its own rules).  That will be 8 weeks of lockdown. All stores closed except grocery, pharmacy and garden centres (outdoor only). Closed stores can do curbside pickup. The goal now is for full opening by mid to end of July, done in stages.  By then most adults will be vaccinated. Hopefully by the fall, I can be doing a few dog shows and pet expos.  I keep my fingers crossed. 

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

We continue in a lockdown until June 14 here in Ontario. (Every province has its own rules).  That will be 8 weeks of lockdown. All stores closed except grocery, pharmacy and garden centres (outdoor only). Closed stores can do curbside pickup. The goal now is for full opening by mid to end of July, done in stages.  By then most adults will be vaccinated. Hopefully by the fall, I can be doing a few dog shows and pet expos.  I keep my fingers crossed. 

Jill

i think it even varies within the province.  Ottawa does not feel like a lock down,  all construction sites fully active, lots of cars on the road, gathering with the tulip festival... can't help to think decisive approach like Australia,  though painful at time, is vastly superior in long run, we have dragged this. 

with Montreal accepting fans for a hockey game tonight,  it will be interesting what comes next

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i think it even varies within the province.  Ottawa does not feel like a lock down,  all construction sites fully active, lots of cars on the road, gathering with the tulip festival... can't help to think decisive approach like Australia,  though painful at time, is vastly superior in long run, we have dragged this. 

with Montreal accepting fans for a hockey game tonight,  it will be interesting what comes next

Quebec opened up yesterday. Hoping that might see the Blue Jays back at Rogers Centre by August.  That would depend on border restrictions of course.  Are stores open in Ottawa?  Not supposed to be.  All of Ontario is under the same restrictions.

Jill

4 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Just done a covid lateral flow test on myself. Yuck !

I have to do one every week so I can visit my mother in the care home. Not pleasant!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Great news that assignment work is back on for you Michael 👍 you will  enjoy the photography challenges and also some cashflow again..i know it's stressful when the work dries up especially when it's no fault of your own...That's a win win with your son being your assistant..Yes life may even seem to be normal once again ☀️

ATB Cheers Bill

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Quebec opened up yesterday. Hoping that might see the Blue Jays back at Rogers Centre by August.  That would depend on border restrictions of course.  Are stores open in Ottawa?  Not supposed to be.  All of Ontario is under the same restrictions.

Jill

Plenty of operational business still, pharmacies selling everything, shops open but you can't go inside, so gathering outside shop. Business like dry cleaners wide open, no mask.  Just saw a city road work, 8 guys, no masks on faces, no distances.

So if all the province is like this, probably explains why this is being dragged on.  

15 more people died yesterday

6 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Plenty of operational business still, pharmacies selling everything, shops open but you can't go inside, so gathering outside shop. Business like dry cleaners wide open, no mask.  Just saw a city road work, 8 guys, no masks on faces, no distances.

So if all the province is like this, probably explains why this is being dragged on.  

15 more people died yesterday

Can't go in any business here without a mask. No gatherings, but lineups for grocery and curbside for stores such as Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Staples etc.  Malls shut down and will remain so even until July, except for stores with an outside entrance.

We have construction going on, haven't really noticed if guys are wearing any masks or not.  They want daily cases down to 500 or less before opening up.  Guess the citizens of Ottawa aren't behaving themselves.

Jill

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Can't go in any business here without a mask. No gatherings, but lineups for grocery and curbside for stores such as Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Staples etc.  Malls shut down and will remain so even until July, except for stores with an outside entrance.

We have construction going on, haven't really noticed if guys are wearing any masks or not.  They want daily cases down to 500 or less before opening up.  Guess the citizens of Ottawa aren't behaving themselves.

Jill

i think many of tuned out, sadly, and no real rule enforcement,   Also we have the whole dual messaging- a significant portion of workers actually come from the other side of the border (Quebec).  For example you see a significant difference in bus driver compliance on mask wearing from the Gatineau buses that cross over (40-60%) than the Ottawa ones (80-90%), because QC has different rules. 

you may be luckier being in smaller community, more responsibility.

Edited by meanderingemu

6 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I have to do one every week so I can visit my mother in the care home. Not pleasant!

I have lateral flow tests and the PCR tests.

When the medical people carry out the PCR test on me, I end up in a fit of giggles as I'm very ticklish, with my eyes in a very watery state !

And as you say, not pleasant !

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Could be your customers are among those paying €2.5 billion in tariffs just to save time and paperwork.

I'm aware that some businesses are paying a large amount in tariffs to try and save time/paperwork.

The time and costs are more at the 'office' end of things, so hence no queues of trucks for many miles to reach the ports (which made for better headlines)

Most stuff getting imported is known about by customs before it arrives, be it in to the UK or the EU, as the computer systems will have the info beforehand. A bit like with all the container ships that arrive from far and wide. Customs know in advance what is coming in, they just point out to the ports/terminals what consignments they want to inspect or check etc.

Containers/trucks not due further inspection can be released from the port quickly for onward distribution.

140,372 images were added to the Alamy library overnight from Friday to Saturday (28th to 29th May).

Be interesting to see the figures as we approach the new contract date, and see if people resigning makes much of a dent in the overall image count.

Yikes, Phillip, you uttered the forbidden C word! My hand is over the button that launches the missile filled with deadly atomic covid that will destroy all of Gloucestershire, expect for some of the prettier villages in the Cotswolds. 😩

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 14:16, MizBrown said:

I have three Sony cameras (a6000, and two a7) and a good local shop for getting prints made, but if I hadn't spent down on my and my animal's health problems....     Other issue is the expense of shipping things here and dealing with customs brokers (FedEx has in-house ones) and all that.  

Your post got me googling how to buy film and chemicals in Nicaragua but I haven't solved the problem. We do need to look for the fun aspect of photography, whatever that means for us individually. I've got a roll of Velvia slide film on the go and am sending friends photos I took of them ages ago, like in 1974. 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, Phillip, you uttered the forbidden C word! My hand is over the button that launches the missile filled with deadly atomic covid that will destroy all of Gloucestershire, expect for some of the prettier villages in the Cotswolds. 😩

DOH !

Sorry Ed

Please forgive me .

I shall stand in the corner, with my hands on my head. And be quiet 🤐

zxzoomy has got us talking about film above.......

12 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Just done a covid lateral flow test on myself. Yuck !

My wife and I have been taking part in the ONS testing survey which has us tested monthly, but we've just started on the antibody survey which involves us pricking our own fingers and squeezing the blood into a tube until it reaches the required volume. Now THAT is unpleasant, and it takes forever to reach the required amount. Not quite an armful though #hancock 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Avpics said:

My wife and I have been taking part in the ONS testing survey which has us tested monthly, but we've just started on the antibody survey which involves us pricking our own fingers and squeezing the blood into a tube until it reaches the required volume. Now THAT is unpleasant, and it takes forever to reach the required amount. Not quite an armful though #hancock 

Thumbs up and thank you to you and your wife 👍

People offering their help with the stats and research are also vital for the scientists and clever people to carry out their work to help beat this wretched virus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Your post got me googling how to buy film and chemicals in Nicaragua but I haven't solved the problem. We do need to look for the fun aspect of photography, whatever that means for us individually. I've got a roll of Velvia slide film on the go and am sending friends photos I took of them ages ago, like in 1974. 

I wish I'd had my Kodachrome slides scanned to larger sizes. 

Edited by MizBrown
plural slides

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I wish I'd had my Kodachrome slide scanned to larger sizes. 

I still miss Kodachrome. But 25 ASA. 125 @ f.6.3 on a sunny day in the uk.

• Like 1